1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Radiators in Series?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by stuartwood89, 28 Dec 2012.

?

Best cooling setup?

1. Two seperate loops: One for CPU (and chipset possibly), and one for GPU

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Everything in series, but still with two radiators.

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Again, so to speak. As far as im concerned, if theres a y in it it can be considered dual. And unless you use different colors etc its the same "coolant" either way. No disrespect, thats just how i see it. If more than one component is being cooled at once rather than one after the other, thats what i see as dual. Because, correct me if im wrong but thats kind of the point of dual loop, or one of the points of it.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'm rather puzzled by your statement "If more than one component is being cooled at once rather than one after the other". if all components are being cooled by the came liquid, that liquid will eventually reach a 'temperature equilibrium' across the loop, which is why it makes no difference in which order you do them in. Even in a normal, straight forward pump>cpu>gpu>rad>res formation, both the cpu and gpu are being cooled at once.

The point of a dual loop is to keep the heat generated from one component away from another completely. So if you have one component which churns out significantly much more heat and would adversely affect the temperrature of the other, you can keep this heat away from it. And similarly if your thrashing the pants off one but not the other, your not heating up the other component unnecessarily.

3. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Your speaking of a multi-block look, a duel loop is literally 2 separate watercooling loops inside one system, great examples include

umbrella
    Mass effect 3 mod think it was called normandy 7
    one i can't mind what it was called used 3 loops all different shades of blue it was stunning

Examples of what your talking about is almost every other mod that is watercooled lol

The_Crapman likes this.
  4. siliconfanatic

Good point. Feeling albeit more logical today so i see what you two mean. Argument accepted, i stand corrected.:)
    and to the thread starter: sorry for making this into a small debate.

5. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

No worries at all. Happy to see some different opinions!

6. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

7. The_Crapman

Well here you go then!
    [​IMG]

oh wait, you said opinion......

8. stuartwood89

Oh... dear :geek:

9. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

Im Crying.....
    is it the onions?!

10. siliconfanatic

I remember that case! I also remember my bains splattered across the wall when my head exploded from the awesomeness.

11. The_Crapman

sorry. i'll get my coat.....

12. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

Yes I do. My gaming temps for i5 2500k stock & 5970 overclocked is about 40c CPU/ 50c GPU iirc. This is on a single 240 rad with 2x gentle typhoons at 1450rpm. Idle temps are more like 30c/30c with fans down to 400rpm. It's a modest setup but it fits easily in my Lian Li A05n which is pint sized.

Temperature graphs in reviews may make you worry about adding more rads but in reality, as long as you aren't aiming for a record OC its all you need for day-to-day. The difference of saving 5c is not worth the trouble generally.

13. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

^yes to that man!

14. Stu @ MSD

Stu @ MSD What's a Dremel?

One loop and two rads in parallel is fine mate as lonmg as you use a suitable pump like a D5.

As an aside; The benefits of twin loops are completely outweighed by the downsides.

15. stuartwood89

I'm thinking about future upgrades, which is why I'll aim for two radiators. I've heard good things about the DDC pumps. Would you reckon one of those would be enough for two radiators and two (possibly three) blocks?

16. siliconfanatic

mhm. the only reason one should be concerned about pumps is how tall and how thick the loop is. the more gravity involved the more pump strain. and once the mass of water is moving you dont need to worry about thickness. height is the main factor.

17. stuartwood89

The case will only be about 30cm tall. The plan is to make it as small as possible, yet still maintainable and powerful. Even with a case 30cm tall, the actual loop will only span around 20cm of that.

18. Stu @ MSD

Stu @ MSD What's a Dremel?

If it helps, mine has run this just fine for the past 12 months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats an EK360 rad, a Supernova 1260 rad, an EK HF Supreme for the 3770 and 3 EK full cover blocks for the 3x 7970s.

Temps as here:

[​IMG]

And that was after 5hrs benching with 1.256 volts. I rarely see over 40 gaming on this setup at 5760x1080 over 3x 120hz monitors.

[​IMG]

19. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

mhm. the only reason one should be concerned about pumps is how tall and how thick the loop is. the more gravity involved the more pump strain. and once the mass of water is moving you dont need to worry about thickness. height is the main factor.

^you really talk crap sometimes lol. gravity will have such a tiny effect it's like taking a cup of water out the ocean for most cases. The main factor is the resistance of tight bends such a 90 degree fittings and complex routes such as waterblocks. I don't mean this in a bad way but please stop posting information to people unless your certain of the answer. I and other keep having to correct your posts.

The DDC 18W actually has a higher head pressure than what the D5 does however the D5 is quieter for VERY close to the same performance so yeh a ddc will do just fine

20. siliconfanatic

Alas, yes. :nono: I'm used to working with incredibly weak pumps. So that is from my experience. Thanks for correcting that:blush: Working on sorting out my knowledge currently.