1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Raspberry Pi suddenly asking for VNC Certificate Autherntication Files

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ShakeyJake, 12 Dec 2023.

1. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Hi guys, (well, hi Gareth, lol)

I have just done a software refresh on my pi and now when I try to connect to VNC I am met with the screen below. Any Googling that I do starts talking about licensing and pro versions of software, which I'm not using. So either I'm using the wrong keywords or I'm missing something.

How do I fix the following? I assume I need to upload a permissions file like you do for an nfs share or something, but I'm at a loss as to what one of those should look like. If it matters, I'm connecting from a linux Mint desktop and the pi is a Pi 4 4GB running Pi OS.

Help please!

upload_2023-12-12_19-26-28.png

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Pfft.

The new Raspberry Pi OS, Bookworm, made the move from X to Wayland - which means they had to switch VNC server. The one they switched to doesn't work with VNC Viewer - you need to use TigerVNC.

There was talk about fixing all this, but I dunno if there's been any progress - haven't fired any of mine up since finishing the Beginner's Guide update.

IanW and ShakeyJake like this.
  3. ShakeyJake

Thanks Gareth!

I'm not using VNC viewer I'm using remmina. I'll try Tiger though. Any other way that you know of?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not off the top of my head - Tiger is the only one that'll work out-of-the-box.

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  5. ShakeyJake

Thanks! I think my problem was assuming that the error was more generic and not specific to the new pi os. As we said (and did) in the old days, +rep.

IanW, Gareth Halfacree and Arboreal like this.
  6. ShakeyJake

Urgh, this is a painfully, almost unusably slow experience. I wonder what the rationale was, but this is is incredibly laggy and slow.