1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress REDELUX (18/1 Final pictures and video)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by quizz_kid, 19 Aug 2012.

1. metalglasses

metalglasses What's a Dremel?

Hey, I wanna know about the sticker template that you used, how can I get that stuff? I could try that on some of my projects.

2. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Yeah, the grill looks kinda good rough. Thanks Waynio!

I might add some of those red hot dogs aswell...

I´ll have to quote myself here just for the fun of it: "Check my old "R-Kaid-6" thread for more info about it."

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I really do genuinely hate you because this is so good...lol. I love the colours and the pattern on the top panel. Top modding dude, looking forward to seeing it finished

4. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thank you mate! Glad you like the pattern... I like when I get a chance to add graphic elements to a build.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Just wish I didn't fear home anodising to see how creative I could get with masking for the dye process after anodising, be so awesome to do stuff like that on aluminium maintaining the surface detail. :jawdrop::D

Feel I should look into it again but deeper, still a bit scary though with not being science minded, need a teacher on the subject really. :)

It's the disposal of the chemicals I'm not keen on the thought of, well that & some health risks, but if fully researched it should be all good, don't need none of that with wood though which is very nice. :)

6. FatPandas

FatPandas What's a Dremel?

Nice job man. All the cuts look really clean and sharp which is a hard thing to achieve in woodwork like this.
    Gonna keep an eye on this :thumb:

7. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

I think it´s a good thing to fear home anodising. Chemicals are tricky... But yeah, what you could do with a surface if you did though :dremel::dremel::dremel:

Thank you. How nice of you to notice the clean cuts... I am a perfectionist :lol:

8. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

So, when starting on the final assembly I begun to feel that something was really really wrong... Took some seconds, but then I noticed it. During re-veneering, I glued two of the sides mirrored. FAIL, FAIL, FAIL!!!

[​IMG]
    This is the order the fan/speaker is supposed to be, but opposite...

[​IMG]
    The fan should be close to the front, on the left, cooling the projector, not to the right!!
    I don´t know how to fix this, but I guess I´ll manage somehow. I feel soooo stupid :wallbash:

[​IMG]
    I started to glue some stuff anyway. Heres the front with grill and lens protector.

[​IMG]
    Lens protector detail.

[​IMG]
    Also glued the frames to the chassi

[​IMG]
    Close up.

Blah!! :sigh:

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Crapper, all fixed together too. :waah::wallbash:

Only thing I can think of is cut the wrongly done panel out with a lot of care & remake that panel & then fix back in place, hope that's doable. :dremel:

Massive "oh sheet" moment though :( but I think you have had worse modding nightmare moments like when the case fell on the ground & you fixed that. :dremel::rock:

10. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Yeah, i thought about that... But I don´t think I´ll be able to make that look nice. I came up with a solution today though, just by cutting the metal of the speakers. So I´m good to go again!

Today I attached the brass fitting to the projector

[​IMG]
    The projector, with the metal fittings

[​IMG]
    The moment of fear. Epoxy on the tiny lens of a $700 worth of equipment.

[​IMG]
    Almost no margins to work with there.

Later!

11. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Todays work:

[​IMG]
    Cut som mesh pieces today and sprayed them in gold... The mesh is not that fine, so I´m putting them in layers by two crossed over each other for less transparency.

[​IMG]
    Some dust filter for intakes, my girlfriend might get mad at me for this :cooldude:

[​IMG]
    Glued with epoxy

[​IMG]
    It will look better later, against darker background.

[​IMG]
    Same procedure for the intakes on front sides. Looks good with the frame I think.

[​IMG]
    Also welded outtake and projector adaptor into one piece.

Laterz!

12. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

[​IMG]
    When playing around with the controller pads today one of the audio plugs broke. I didn´t knew they were so fragile... So I´m going to change docking system and use magnets instead. More about that later.

[​IMG]
    Started on the assembly a bit... Just a test really, to see if everything fitted. It did :lol:

[​IMG]
    ... and got a first glimt of the front with projector in place. I´m very satisfied!

[​IMG]

13. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Look really nice. Good job,mate.

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Looks gorgeous & is packed with awesomeness. :rock::dremel::clap:

15. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thank you Pranja!

Awesomeness it izzzz! ... I´ve got some days of soldering in front of me. Not as fun as wood working, but is good for variation.

16. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Wow now thats the kind of modding I wanted to see! This is original, awesome, functional, innovative, just woooow!!!! Mod on bro, you are really good at it for SURE!!!! :)

17. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thank you AnG3L! Much appreciated... Let's just hope it works.

Right now I'm waiting for some parts, next week I'll continue

18. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Here´s a small update:

Been focusing on the soldering a bit. I´ll spare you of soldering pictures, but I think a actually used 3m of tin today. Shorten cables, extending cables... Ah, all these cables!!

[​IMG]
    Here´s one of the USB cables

[​IMG]
    And here´s a strange looking chain of comand. Amplifier and such.

[​IMG]
    Attached to the bottom piece, with more cable work. I´m trying to hide most of the cables under the mobo. I´ll have to order a 50cm IDE cable to hide that aswell.

[​IMG]
    And here´s the mobo with the amp on top, secured by a mount attached to the CPU cooler

[​IMG]
    Here´s a pic of the I/O panel... Cables everywhere!

[​IMG]
    The tiniest VGA cable I´ve made so far... It has an angle aslo, so that was tricky ricky.

[​IMG]
    In position...

[​IMG]
    I also made a lot of strange looking cables today. Here´s one of them. 12v to the amp.

[​IMG]
    I´m going to have a small VGA cable under the console for switching from beamer to external source(monitor, tv etc). I ordered two d-sub connector shells in black plastic, but they were from another planet I guess... That really didn´t fit :confused::confused::confused:

[​IMG]
    So I decided to make them out of walnut instead :D:D:D Took a piece, cut it in two halves and started milling.

[​IMG]
    This is after milling. Better than that plastic sh*t.

[​IMG]
    This is after gluing, sanding and some minor shampfering.

[​IMG]
    The screws are just temp. Now I have to make a nice fitting cable too. More to come...

Laterz! / Quizz

Last edited: 30 Oct 2012
  19. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

A small update... The VGA cable´s done. Hope you´ll like it!

[​IMG]
    Bought a small 10-pin cable and put a silicon tube over it for smoother flexibility.

[​IMG]
    Sleeved it with a nice brown shoe lace

[​IMG]
    I made a "minimalistic" connection, only using 8 pins. 5 GNDs soldered together like this.

[​IMG]
    FInal cable... Cute!!

[​IMG]
    Another shot.

[​IMG]
    This is where it´ll be placed.

Laterz!! :lol:

20. dreps

dreps Minimodder

mister you have some nice skills i must say :D