1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Reinstalling OS, windows 8.1 or 10 preview?

Discussion in 'Software' started by rici1241, 24 Jul 2015.

1. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

I have to reinstall windows on my desktop (swapping drives with other machines, and properly organising the drives/partitions), and I'm wondering is it worth putting 8.1 on again, or installing the Windows 10 preview. Unfortunately, I have to do this tomorrow. I'm already a member of the Windows insider program, and have also "reserved" my Windows 10 upgrade from 8.1.

If I install the preview , and use the same Microsoft account that's used with my Windows 8.1 User account, can I simply "update" to the full release, or need another reinstall or licence with this method?

Are there any main disadvantages to updating windows 8.1 to 10 when its out next week? I assume its a similar process to updating 7 to 8.

Thanks for any help

Edit:
    After a bit more googling, I found this: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/
    So if I install 10 preview, I can keep the install and licence, provided I stay a preview member. Otherwise, I have to update from Windows 8.1.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2015