1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Returning/refunded contact lens?

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 11 Feb 2016.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Since starting my new job 9-10 hours at a computer makes contacts too uncomfortable.

It hardly seemed worth paying for them on the weekends when i've got so used to my glasses again, I cancelled the subscription yesterday with no hassle, saves me £18 a month (£54 over three months to receive a pack of 3 contact lens set 4 times a year) Anywho, they've started to build up since no longer using them and i have 6 sets. This includes an unopened untouched box i received a few days back. I can use the opened set on and off for occasional nights out or what not

As for the untouched set stick the contents in a new box to someone sharing the same prescription as me and bobs your uncle right!?

I'd be told by someone else they'd once returned contact lens that were unused and they had refunded him, this was a while ago though.

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/legal/returns-policy

'We'll refund or replace free of charge any products that are returned to us as damaged, of incorrect specification or just no longer required provided they are returned unused in the original packaging.'

Sounds about right, I've been trying to call them all week but they seem to never answer the darn phone! (I live too far away to pop in) to query this for the sake of getting some cash back on an item i'll unlikely ever use.

Anyone have any expirience/Works at specsavers! :D

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Work no, dealing with, plenty.

As long as the boxes are still sealed you shouldn't have a problem returning them. How much they give you back might vary though depending on how much of your sub was for the contacts and how much is a professional fee.

Alternatively keep them, the expiry on CLs is normally 4-5years, so you're good for a lot of weekends and nights out.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

What contact lenses were you using? I use the silicon-hydrogel monthly ones (bausch and lomb purevison 2's to be exact) and I've never had an issue with them. Being ones that you leave in for a month I find them more comfortable than dailies as they don't dry out. I've pulled 12 hour shifts then gone home and games for a few hours. Now they feel so much a part of me that sometimes when changing them I'll not put the new set in for a day and it feels like there's something wrong with my eyes as they're not there.

4. DeadP1xels

Easy Vision monthly from specsavers

After 8 hours my eyes would be unbearably sore i just find it easier to have glasses hooked onto my shirt and take them on and off when required, I've taken them in today and they seem confident they can get me a refund :thumb:

5. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Are they daily wear lenses? The continuous wear ones are so much of a step up in comfort it's almost ridiculous. I work all day in front of a screen and then probably spend a fair few hours in the evening in front of a screen pretty regularly; the only thing that makes my eyes tired is being tired. And the convenience of being able to see properly 24/7 can't be overstated.

In short, if you haven't tried 30 day continuous wear lenses I would strongly recommend it.

6. DeadP1xels

As in you never take them out even for sleep? what about exposure to water?

I just googled, didn't know such a device existed, they do seem appealing. I'm just not really bothered with them currently, i did enjoy clear vision without frames on my face but having glasses for 19 or so years previous to contacts it never really stuck. I did do it more for the aesthetic when i was single but my girlfriend cares about as much as i do.

I occasionally fell asleep (or passed out) wearing my 30 day normal use lenses and waking up with them in my eyes was always a mad panic to make sure i got them out.

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Extended wear lenses are the best thing that ever happened to me. I use Ciba Vision Air Optix Aqua, which are actually 7 day wear lenses, and I've found these to give the optimum performance for me.

Plus, once you know your prescription you can get a year's supply online for a good amount less than the cost of a subscription model.

I get about 2-3 months wear out of a pair sometimes, though I try to change them monthly as recommended. Still see an optician for a general check up and test every 2 years though.

8. DeadP1xels

This is the route i intend to possibly take, I'll probably get a new pair of nice looking frames for use but one day go back to contacts when i find something to suit me.

When you say they're 7 day wear lenses, it may sound a stupid question but do you take them out during the 7 days? I find this is my biggest issue. I'm not the best morning person sometimes i'll oversleep and get up in a rush to frantically put in contact lenses resulting in scratched eyes, broken lenses and the uncomfortable day. I've damaged more lenses than i would like to admit due to just being unorganised

I'd be quite satisfied putting something in my eye for a week rather than taking them out daily.

9. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

This is why I wear 30 day lenses. Not having to worry about taking them out or putting them in for 30 days is great. Could not be doing with taking them out every night and putting them in every morning. Pretty sure I'd just end up not wearing them if I had to.

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The ones I wear come out overnight once a week, usually on a Sunday evening, then back in Monday morning. The main difference is that they stay hydrated in your eye, and you don't wake up with the dreaded "glue lens", where the contact has hermetically sealed itself to the surface of your eyeball!

One other thing, and sorry if it sounds patronising, but when you're handling lenses make sure your hands are very clean, dry and dust/hair free, and you are working in good lighting. This makes a huge difference to the comfort of any lens, as even a few tiny dust particles will give that familiar scratching sensation. Lazy handling the number one reason why so many people decide not to continue with contacts, closely followed by cheap, nasty lenses that are never comfortable to wear.

11. DeadP1xels

I didn't even know they existed specsavers basically told me daily lenses were the maximum. I'll definitely give that a serious look, i generally wear my specs tucked in the v of a shirt or jumper i would prefer to have clear vision all the time but it was just too many issues doing it daily.

Its not patronising, its unfortunately true, I work on a flexitime scheme so effectively i turn up when i like, It benefits me to turn up as early as humanly possible which is usually 8:15 maximum so any later is usually a mad rush to get out the door in order to make up the time for work. I'm not the best with lenses in a rush i'm very frantic, i have no issues touching my eye ball but i'm sure i damage them most of the time after a few days of nail growth.

I'll certainly give these sort of lenses a go, i know my prescription so i should be able to source something online, thanks lads :thumb: