1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Revelation (2/12 Final photos and video!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by quizz_kid, 14 Jun 2013.

1. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks Waynio! I believe I'll go with veneer... Leather has its character, and this is no steampunk build.

The only device I could give here: Get a laser cutting machine ! ! ! =)

Thanks guys, means a lot!!

So, I though I show you some picture of where the magic happens. I lend this amazing workshop for a month or so. Wish it was mine!! With a little imagination, I believe you can do everything in here.

Here's sort of a front view of the workshop. Great old machines... The dim saw is the only newer addition to the park. You can also see the panorama windows to the right.
    [​IMG]

Here's the view... Beautiful.
    [​IMG]

Here's the rear end of the park. Machines like the sanding master(to the right) is nothing I would buy myself, but comes in handy when sanding veneer etc.
    [​IMG]

Here's my baby, the old zink machine. I use this milling machine for everything. Revelation wouldn't look the same without it.
    [​IMG]

This beast of a drilling machine is very very reliable.
    [​IMG]

Well, off to some progress:

Made the buttons for the mouse.
    [​IMG]

Made the lens protection, slightly tampered.
    [​IMG]

Here, with the copper projector fitting. Perfect fit!
    [​IMG]

Another angle.
    [​IMG]

Made a lath for the blind in walnut and glued them together.
    [​IMG]

Another photo.
    [​IMG]

Mounting holes in side panels for the blind construction.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to use bearings for the blind construction, and made two cylinders with grooves.
    [​IMG]

Here are other ingredients...
    [​IMG]

Made three fittings for the bearings in solid walnit. Overkill maybe, but who doesn't like nice looking constructions =)
    [​IMG]

Here it is, mounted onto the side panel.
    [​IMG]

Here's a smaller bearing thingy.
    [​IMG]

Then I made a mounting/stand for the projector...
    [​IMG]

Some support pieces in the joystick pads.
    [​IMG]

Threaded M4 inserts...
    [​IMG]

... and countersunk screws... Jummy!
    [​IMG]

Drilled holes for buttons, joystick etc.
    [​IMG]

The foot stand is done, and I'm really satified. Copper and walnut is sweeeet!
    [​IMG]

Close up.
    [​IMG]

Later! :lol::lol::lol:

Waynio likes this.
  2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Amazing work. You may have all those machines to use, but it still takes great skill and some impressive imagination to do what you do.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

QFT

Stunning craftmanship and amazing eye for detail & colour. :thumb:

4. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

^-- What they said... Really great craftmanship and damn that's an amazing shop :)

The stand is looking superb, reminds me of old sailingships somehow

5. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Loving the different colors in the stand! The two different colors (and types?) of wood, combined with those copper parts and the graphic really finished the entire look!

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Explains why your always making really awesome things, amazing mind & skills, dreamy workshop & sweet views to top it all off. :D

Nice to see you putting it all to awesome use. :D:clap:

Corrected that. :lol:

7. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks a lot guys! I'm going to miss this workshop indeed... :waah:

8. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Kind of a big update

I stained the walnut and then glued all the pieces.
    [​IMG]

Here is the upper section of the main chassis. This is after some sanded-edges-patina and two layers of Danish oil.
    [​IMG]

Same piece, with a shot of the sidepanel. I first felt quite bad putting stain on beautiful timber like that, but after the finish it really glows. Very satisfied!
    [​IMG]

Here's the lower section. You can really see the fantastic job the stain/oil did on the veneer on top. Looks really old and authentic.
    [​IMG]

Another shot, here with a joypad/pull-out-drawer slided out.
    [​IMG]

The keyboard/storage unit and some walnut mountings.
    [​IMG]

The mouse with stained end grain buttons... I like it!
    [​IMG]

I wasn't sure about the walnut frame/bezel for the LCD, so I made an alternative one on MDF, painted plain cream egg white. I'm not sure what's better here...
    [​IMG]

The walnut bezel has some really nice grains to it, but is IMO a bit too much. I think this build needs a change in material, for contrast. Still, it's a very nice walnut piece...
    [​IMG]

Here's a close up of the corner. It's not a perfect joint, but it works I guess.
    [​IMG]

Here's the eggy alternative. I really like the contrast...
    [​IMG]

Close up of corner. Much better precision here, and smoother. What's your thoughts?
    [​IMG]

Here are the parts of my joystick mods. Since the pads are going to be low profile drawers, I had to do something abut the joystick shafts. I kept it very basic; removable shaft using simple screw on/off. Quite proud of the solution though.
    [​IMG]

Mounted. You can see the M6 thread for the shaft. To secure it, you just use a screwdriver from under the joystick, the backside of the pad.
    [​IMG]

Then I drilled a hole in the joystick from the side...
    [​IMG]

And inserted a thread here as well. This will let the joystick shafts be used as pull knobs for the drawers. More about that later, but I'm very proud over that design.
    [​IMG]

I made a tray for the PC, in birch ply which I stained a bit.
    [​IMG]

And this is where I'm right now, playing with components =) It's quite a mess right now, making an attemt as a plumber. You can see some of the components here; a MSI mitx Inet edition board, a ZOTAC GTX670 AMP! 2GB, both with blocks from Alphacool.
    [​IMG]

Here's the Alphacool DC-LT Ceramic DC Pro pump and couple of Corsair Dominators, both modded a bit. The memories got a copper paint job and the pump got some new holes for mounting.
    [​IMG]

You can get an idea of the loop in this shot I guess. All parts will be polished later of course. For the loop I'll be using Alphacooling compression fittings, plumbing angles and 15mm copper pipes, and they don't match that well =) So there's going to be some DIY surgery later on, without the use of welding. More about this later...
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the lower chassis with footstand and beamer mounted. Also added some copper mesh. Looks pretty cool!
    [​IMG]

From behind.
    [​IMG]

Laterz!

Btw, Antony... I could really use my Phobya kit pretty soon =)

Last edited: 9 Jul 2013
  9. PeteA

PeteA What's a Dremel?

I'd go with the painted bezel. :thumb:

10. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Im not sure on that, id have to see more of the assembled product to tell, but i think the painted one would be out of place.

11. Sn00k3r

Sn00k3r What's a Dremel?

This mod is gettin' better and better..! :D

Copper-Pron vor Cheesecake..! :naughty:

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Honestly not sure about the bezel, seems a shame to hide the nice wood, probably have to see it on the completed project with both to be sure but if it looks good to you I'm sure it will be good whichever you go with in the end result.

That 2nd to last shot showing base & semi complete low level looks amazing, love it when I see a modder making my jawdrop, makes me know modding is well & truly alive. :clap:

Tell Phobya specifics of what is due else they'll probably not send it like they didn't for me, I couldn't be bothered nagging them.
    Basic form.
    http://www.phobya.com/eng/phobya.html
    Straight email.
    support@phobya.com

13. Knighthammer

Knighthammer What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop:
    Just amazing woodworking. I love to see a craftsmen work. - Subbed.

14. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

A mother******' SNES mouse is what that is! They were crap for everything but mario paint. Even then..

15. TheP

TheP What's a Dremel?

Jesus.....its so beautiful :jawdrop:

16. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks guys! I think I´ll go for the original/walnut one...

Thanks Waynio! You mean go directly to Phobya and not through Antony then? Probably better, it took like eigth months to receive a couple of RAMs last time...

Yeah, that mouse is more useless than the f***ing Powerglove =)

So, I'll leave you with one more update before I go on a smaller vaccation. I'm in need of a break. Been busting way too many hrs on this one lately...

Took me like 25min just to cut through this little sucker. Tool steel is pain...
    [​IMG]

But I had to cut it, because it's going into the lens protection. Sort of a hidden little screwdriver for securing the joystick shafts to the pads. And you really don't want the bit scratching/touching the lens, so I needed at least a couple of mms for margins. I aslo found a nice copper chain suiting the theme.
    [​IMG]

Here's another shot... For some weeks now, all the copper parts has grown some really nice patina. I will probably polish it up before mounting, but maybe leave it susceptible for the coming years. Haven't decided on that yet. It's that or wax I guess.
    [​IMG]

Then I made a sliding mounting in ply for the LCD and a piece of 2mm protective glass.
    [​IMG]

I made this little guy just for fun I guess. It's the pulling knob/handle for the blind. Don't know if I'll use it though, I might go for one of those little gizmos that are used for opening/tightening highschool gymnastics bags. The ones that secure/releases the string by pushing a little small plastic button. I don't know what they are called though. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

I painted the SSDs copper and made black vinyl stickers, to suit the overall theme. Think it looks really good, I just hope Corsair's OK with this =)
    [​IMG]

Some sleeved cables attached...
    [​IMG]

Here is a less messy picture of the PC layout in whole. Almost done, but still got the plumbing work ahead of me.
    [​IMG]

Try fitted inside the chassis. The tray slides in there like a charm =)
    [​IMG]

Here is the wooden blind mounted in place. The bearing construction works, but it'll need some modifications to be perfected. I want it smooth of course, but that's after vaccation.
    [​IMG]

This is the backside of the tray, with the rad and 3x BeQuiet Silent Wings secured with those 13 angle mountings I made in the beginning. You can also see that I'll use a chain of 2x PCI-E risers for the GPU.
    [​IMG]

Here's the four chassis fans that's going on top, mounted on this sled thingy I made. The Silent Wings has a weird mounting system, but for this perforated plate, it an ideal solution actually =)
    [​IMG]

Other side.
    [​IMG]

You just slide it in there, and gets secured in there by the a backpanel.
    [​IMG]

Here's from the front with almost everything mounted. Margins are minimal, as you expect when building a complex beast like this =)
    [​IMG]

Well, I'm off for a while. I'll keep Bit-tech in my pocket all the time though, so I'll check in now and then as the addict I am :lol::lol::lol:

17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

What you did there is stunning! :jawdrop: :thumb:

But... I would sleeve the PCI-E risers. They just stick out like a sore thumb in an otherwise beautiful and flawless build.

18. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Wow, looks absolutely great!

Kinda curious though if the chained pci-e risers will cause any problems...I've read some nasty stories on issues caused by a single pci-e riser, let alone chaining them toghether XD

If it works that would be great though as it adds so much flexibility!

19. TheP

TheP What's a Dremel?

Leave the copper as it is.
    With some patina it fits more ..... well thats what i think

20. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Absolutely beautiful. Could you just spray the PCI risers instead of sleeving them?