News Samsung demos USB-powered display

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 1 Jun 2010.

1. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I wouldn't waste two USb ports just for the display. It's good that they've improved power efficiency, but they could just have done that on a normal monitor.

2. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

all I can say is Car PC :)

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

900mA (0.9A) vs USB 2.0's 500mA.

4. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Reading the comments and using your brain fail. It almost certainly is USB3.

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Just for faster charging abilities im tempted to get a usb3 PCI-e now lol

6. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I wonder how many of these you could add to your PC at once? Could you just fill all your usb sockets with these monitors to have say 6 of these monitors all working at the same time as extended desktop? Cos normally you'd need a special graphics card or adapter to add more than 2 monitors. Just asking out of interest cos I doubt anyone will be planning on doing that!

While it sounds good that this doesn't use much power, the low resolution for the size, along with poor light and contrast mean this wouldn't be the best monitor for games or movies.

7. shadows

shadows What's a Dremel?

Going to be keeping my eye on this! I already run two monitors and I'm wanting a third, but I don't want to have to fork out nearly £300 for the monitor and card to drive it!

This definitely has some useful applications, a monitor that will run on any PC regardless of it's VGA connectivity, plug and play and swap between machines with relative ease!

8. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Needs touch screen...

Also I just realized that you could in theory make a computer with no gpu at all and still be able to hook this up and get an image! This could be useful for the initial setup of a small low footprint system that has no need for a grafixcard, even an integrated one.

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

this would be great for mobile solutions like Car computers, one less cable to route and manage would be very welcomed when it comes to wiring a PC into a car. Im planing on using Double Sights USB power 10" screens in my car for that reason.

10. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

While mmo gaming, this would be a great addition to have around for static maps, or guides on certain areas.

Tags: Add Tags