1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Samsung F1 Dying?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by NaNeil, 30 Oct 2009.

1. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,
    So, I have one of the 1TB Samsung HD103UJ Spinpoint F1 Hard drives, and its about 14 months old.

I noticed some thrashing lately, and checked the SMART info in speedfan. It reports 377 reallocated sectors, and gives a warning.

I've recently put windows 7 onto this machine, so before I shell out for a new drive, I want to make sure the instability and issues couldn't be related to that.... Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edit: If it does need replacing, can anyone suggest a replacement? 1tb drives at scan seem to vary from £55-100 and I'm not really sure why, though I'd like something with similar performance.... perhaps a maxtor?

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

firstly backup anything you need as soon as you think there may be a problem
    secondly the f3 would be a v good replacement
    finally i would perform a full format on the drive (the Long one) reinstall W7 and see if hte problem persists

3. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Thanks.. I just ordered an F3 as I can't risk losing any data, and as much as I feel I should try another brand, its good for the money...

If all else fails and this one is fixable, I can RAID them and have some nice backup ability!

Thanks

In addition - does anyone know a decent app to mirror this drive onto my new one?

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Oct 2009
  4. doggeh

doggeh What's a Dremel?

This is what I use.

5. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Thanks.. That sounds like it runs when booted into windows - so will it be ok backing up the drive that actually is running windows? Edit: I'm looking to literally mirror the old and just working drive onto the brand new one, boot and go...

6. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Found an awesome program that is free, "partition wizard" http://www.partitionwizard.com/ ... Let me copy the Windows 7 partition over to free space on my new drive - nice.

So, I've done a low level format on the old drive.. Showing 377 reallocated sectors in a S.M.A.R.T. app as before - do you guys think this will be grounds for eBuyer to confirm it is damaged when they get the RMA, even though it still technically 'works'? It's still under warantee with samsung so I can't see why, as the Samsung site has a return option of 'Bad Sectors'...

Also, I'm hoping that instead of sending me a replacement, they will just refund the £55 I spent with them on a new Samsung F3?

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

didint samsung issue a statement about using SMART and the F1. i thought you wernt supposed to as it give false positives ?

did you check the drive the a samung utlity ?

8. total zombie

total zombie What's a Dremel?

they almost certainly wont give you cash, at best you will get a replacement, you could try asking
    for an f3 these drives a very good.