LOL Scientists FINALLY take the zombie apocalypse seriously

Discussion in 'General' started by [PUNK] crompers, 18 Aug 2009.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Mr Mario likes this.
  2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I have my ZA plan sorted:

“Take car. Go to mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?”

Who's coming down the W with me? :lol:

BentAnat likes this.
  3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Haha, I can imagine they're the "Oh god, what are they doing now" department in the university.

Anyone with a question mark added to their name is either a total prat, or one of the most interesting people you'll ever meet.

4. [PUNK] crompers

yep most definately, i'll bet last year they did; "what would happen if peoples heads were swapped with their feet" or something similar. still i'll bet the seminars are full!

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

LOL. I like the sound of that, and i love the movie...
    have some rep. :thumb:

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

As the Reg pointed out, presuming the zombies are the slow shamblers and not 28 Days Later esque Zeds, the army would have little trouble wiping them all out. Put it this way: think about the Iraqi war, and the number of deaths on the US side versus the Iraq side. And that was against thinking, armed soilders. We're talking mindless corpses that shuffle towards you in a straight line and try to bite you to death.

Remember the end of Sean of the Dead where the troops turn up and nonchalentely mow down all the zombies in the area? That's far more realistic.

An air-born virus (ala Left 4 Dead)? That's more troublesome.

7. Hakira

Hakira Bored.

Heh, Well, we will all be the most prepared. we have been trained by video games...

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

that was movie is awesome and Liz :naughty:

9. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

Apparently the ? is to distinguish him from the lead singer of the Cure... Somehow I doubt many people will make that mistake.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Zombies would only be troublesome if they some how retained the living humans ability to self repair damaged muscle tissue - otherwise they would almost all be shambling within days, given what basic biology teaches us.

So unless they were all over the globe at the same time, and crippled the military before any counter attack, zombies are unlikely to ever take control of the world.

Scenes like Shaun of the Dead would be very much the norm, me thinks. Just a case of surviving until the military cleans house, so to speak.

11. [PUNK] crompers

I think the difference mainly lies in the speed of them. 28 days later zombies could quite easily **** things up in this country within a day. Somewhere like america would be harder because the population is much more spread (and they have guns).

In the case of fast zombies i reckon steal a 4X4 (automatic for me i cant drive) and head for the hills of scotland or wales, then sit it out.

12. liratheal

Aye, but I'm a Romero-ite with Zombies - I simply cannot believe that they're somehow fast. Just makes no sense - your muscle system would be in tatters after 72 hours of constant work - And since they don't stop (even if they did, they have no bloodflow), the systems would never repair. It would eventually impede their movement to the point where, while dangerous, it'd no longer be a threat if you have decent boots.

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

you 'believe' in the magic of them being alive despite being dead but you wouldn't believe in them moving non stop without getting tired ?

weird

heh

14. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Elementary physics - where people can live after death but you cant keep running at full speed non-stop.

15. [PUNK] crompers

actually i dont think its that weird. is it really impossible to imagine a (especially a potentially engineered) disease that eats away at the memory and complex functions of the brain and leaves only the instinct parts to run the body? at this point animalistic activity could become all the subject can do

16. [PUNK] crompers

QFT

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I have to say, in the bounds of sensible thinking, it's not completely retarded (from the point of someone who doesn't know a jot about human physiology) to think of a disease that destroys higher brain functions.

The thing is that even though a fast zombie might wear out quickly it's exceptionally dangerous. Don't forget that we rarely see what an ordinary human can do - it's not until you see someone without any conscious safeguards that you realise what people are capable of. That's why a lot of mental patients are so dangerous, they are totally unhinged.

18. liratheal

It's not the "tired" aspect - Zombies do not tire like we do, in the same way they don't feel pain (Hence why gut/limb shots don't stop them in the same way they stop humans), but exercising for 72 hours straight would leave your muscular system in tatters. Since zombies are constantly on the hunt for food, there's little chance that they would stop for any period of time, but even if they did, the repair of our muscular system simply would not happen when the blood has stopped flowing, and so has the oxygen.

Like I said - Romeroite. Well, combined with a bit of Max Brooksism.

19. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

you mean like reality television?:naughty:

Mr Mario likes this.
  20. [PUNK] crompers

or The Sims