1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Should I move to consoles or stick with PC Gaming?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 7 Feb 2010.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I only got myself a pc capabale of modern games in November. I don't really seem to make much time for gaming at the moment so don't have much to input, but I'd personally spend more on a pc that can game amongst everything else and be so versatile than spend money on the consoles with overpriced games, overpriced peripherals, and still have to see great exclusives go to the other side (those who own an xbox 360 and a ps3, I envy the amount of time you must get to game - you must be teenagers or students, those days are sadly behind me - some people just can't seem to resist the hype of the next game and have to get them all - how you ever get the full experience of each and every game I have no idea).

As someone who doesn't have a back catalogue of games yet, there's more than enough choice on the pc. And where does this idea that racing games are always better on console than pc come from? I realise the bigger market is with console owners so game companies target the consoles more, but don't most people agree that games like Grid and Dirt2 are best on pc? I know there's Forza 3 and GT5 soon, but I had a go on Forza 3 in Blockbusters recently and it seemed pretty all-round lame to me - played slow and graphics looked out-dated. Had a go on Dirt2 on PS3 in HMV and didn't enjoy it as much as keyboarding the demo on my pc.

The one genre I'm not sure about is sports - I do play a fair amount of pro evo and fifa games but haven't tried them yet on pc. But as far as I'm concerned none of them can compete with Pro Evo on the Wii - I've played football games since the days of Kick Off on the Amiga, and Wii Pro Evo is the best I have ever played - graphics, schmaphics - gameplay is where it's at and always should be. And while I enjoy other games on the Wii, such as the golf and tennis games, the motion-controls are soon to be copied by other systems so that negates the UPS on it.

I'm starting to really ****ing ramble, but I would end by saying my perspective is that a lot of people get swallowed up by the hype of consoles and the newest games on them - that's where all the advertising money goes, it generates talk between mates and cos the consoles are so mainstream and they sell, the games sell, and so that's the experience the majority get. Because the general experience of gaming is fun and enjoyable the masses stick with it and hype it up even more, but pcs give the better overall experience, I reckon.

2. October

October Mariachi Style

Not about graphics or gameplay but control, keyboard means steering is either on or off, no subtlety. Same for acceleration/braking. It's crazy how much better a driver I am with the 360 pad plugged in to my PC. So not really about console/pc but control methods. I was actually quite fond of the PS3 controller until this week, logged a lot of hours of Modern Warfare online with it but since getting a 360 pad I'm a total convert. Trigger cheesecake :lol:

3. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

yeh i think people mean controls when they say that. if your talking out of the box, if your going to go into buying a wheel your adding a good bit of expense.

for me now to start gaming on pc now would mean a complete ground up build, os, monitor, everything so console gaming to me is alot cheaper. and if i did go building i think id be too tempted to buy hardware in excess of what i needed, with a console its one base set of hardware and theres none of the temptation, and no upgrading for years. so anything id save on pc games versus console games would be negated by my initiall investment for along time. im not into buying a game when it first comes out so i can wait and see if it drops in price or get it pre owned

4. AngusW

AngusW mmm

Racing games are more about control really, driving on a keyboard is fail. Although if you get an xbox 360 wired pad or wireless controller and adapter you can play driving games with that for quite a bit cheaper than a wheel thats what i do. I own an xbox 360 for example so have a pad for it. They certainly look miles better on pc Dirt 2 is a beautiful game. I'm not really that much of a serious gamer when it comes to racing games i cant even drive a real car so dirt 2 and grids arcade style gameplay appeals to me. Theres also a few sims on the pc that cater for the more serious realistic audience that the consoles don't have. (rfactor and the like)

Sports games as far as ea goes they don't care about pc so alot of there games are basically the same as the ps2 version with better graphics. This sucks because the likes of fifa 10 on xbox is awesome as evil as ea are. :eyebrow:

5. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I have a similar spec computer to you and get better performance in games off that than off the 360.

step 1 re install a fresh copy of widows 7 - test
    step 2 install more memory - test
    step 3 get a new graphics card
    step 4 save and get new mobo and cpu and graphics.

do it in that order - after step 1 possibly step 2 you will be equal to any current console

(I have a 360 - graphics have always been a dissapointment since purchase)

6. el2k

el2k Modder

WASD is where it's at.

7. sHORNY

sHORNY What's a Dremel?

Have the best of both worlds. Any "controller powered" game, e.g. Dead space, Batman, Prototype, I simply start up my Windows XBOX 360 controller and blast away. It's alot cheaper than getting the xbox, games are cheaper for the pc AND i get to still play fps's with me mouse :).

8. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Eh?

The points made above about the controller being the key is what I was thinking myself, so enough of this idea that racing games don't stack up on the pc.

9. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

Me too. In fact, since I upgraded my pc last summer, I've barely touched my 360. Most of the games that I'm interested in are available on both pc and 360, so I always choose the pc because it's much more powerful.

10. Enemyvirus

Enemyvirus CPC Refugee

I tend to play Fifa 10 alot on my PS3, I have other games but this one spends most time in the disc tray. PC wise, after the steam sale I'm spoilt for choice.

11. (RFFN)-SqUeD

(RFFN)-SqUeD I eat dremels for breakfast

OMG. did u get a blow to the head?? Your anwser is NO.
    I've been playing PC games for over 18 years, I will never switch to a controller in my life.

Stay sane and us a PC play the game!!!

(PC fanboy 4 life ;-)!!

12. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

Oh, I've seen it! But you don't want me to, why? Embarrassed that someone else is seeing the truth! Someone has realize what I've realized along time ago? Someone thats tired of wasting their money on upgrades just to play a game? The fact that I could've "possibly" turned someone...hmmmm?!! Maybe they see console gaming as a good way to game? You didn't end anything, you didn't solve anything, you just confused the man. Look, BUY THE PS3! You'll save money!

13. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

If there's one thing that I'm certain of in this life Warrior24_7, your arguments were NOT what turned him to the console side.

14. bagman

bagman Minimodder

oh my god got my console back today after 2 years played cod6 and no where near as enjoyable as pc. you really see the difference in resolutions AA even though i game at 1280 resolution, and don't get me started with mouse vs controler!!

15. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

I wouldn't say it's worth buying a console atm. I saw Assassin's Creed 2 on the 360 recently and as pretty shocked at the lameness of the texture quality in it.

These days you don't need a full upgrade every couple of years, just a new GPU for like £100-150 to tide you over.

16. Toxic_Lemon

Toxic_Lemon What's a Dremel?

Hehe , remember the mega pc, a megadrive inside the pc, always wnated one of them, hell maybe they will make a 360 pc or a pc 3 ? (Just jerking your chains), what most of said, these days theres not alot of difference between alot of the games but with the pc you normally get more support from the manufacturers, For me it`s pc , i did have a 360 got bored very quickly, i got no interest in a ps3.

But the choice is yours.

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

:duh: