Steam Skyrim?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Karas, 15 Sep 2011.

1. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

That's what I did (I had a backup of the old exe). Although there is an LAA fix 'out there' which doesn't alter the exe apparently. I am happy running with the old exe (with LAA fix) for now.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I have respect for developers - moreso since I started coding (semi)-seriously myself - but I was essentially crash free, so a patch which does nothing but make the game worse...

...doesn't impress me one bit. ;)

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Its only made it worse for some.

Not affected me at all as I couldn't be bothered modding anything yet, and didn't want to introduce stuff to potentially cause problems this early on.

I'll probably start putting a few tweaks on when I've completed it once and there's a few more mods out and matured.

5. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Do you need to patch for large address space if you're in Win 64-bit?

I thought that 64-bit applications could use more of the RAM address space?

6. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

I think Skyrim is limited to 2GB so even 32bit systems could potentially see an improvement from the large address space fix.

Ran the fix before the patch, obviously not since and haven't had a crash yet. I've had a quest completly bug out in the thieves guild chain but got around that using the console.

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I don't have any crashing issues like cerb- like where you see the program has stopped responding.. but it was doing a quick exit to desktop sometimes when I started

I had the same problem with orcs must die and fixed it on windows 7 64 goofing around.. it seems to be an affinity issue, probably with windows itself

running june 2010 direct x sdk and a ati card with a lot of tweaks to the cvars to get it just right.. but running full frames =] the pictures I've seen on nvidia cards do not look this good- just being honest here.. huang is giving you guys the lube like he did in rage imo

hit ctrl+alt+delete and run the task manager on the start continue screen.. I had this same problem with orcs must die and it works.. this won't fix any crashing with the program itself- that's probably due to instability on your end or the nvidia driver or both

but if your just exiting to the desktop for no reason.. after getting the task manager up (hit alt+tab if your having trouble getting it up)

right click the exe and set affinity.. uncheck all but the last core and set.. now go back into skyrim.. you may need to alt tab to see the menu again

then alt tab back into task manager and set it to use all cores again.. now alt+tab back into skyrim and play :)

played hours this weekend.. game is just beautiful..

about smithing.. you need 100 smithing and the perk for the armor your trying to improve to be legendary.. you still won't be maxed though

the thing is.. you also need 100 alchemy to be perfect- and 100 enchanting.. you need the fortify blacksmith and fortify enchanting potions maxed out along with the gear to get perfect 29% x 4 + 32% with a pot on your enchants.. and the blacksmith pot (which you will make with the gear to enhance potions) will do 130% to your legendary smithing

I know it's confusing.. it seems there is a cap too- you can't keep enchanting armor and then applying the pot and enchanting more armor.. it seems to stop at 29% and 32% for the pot.. hope it helps

you basically need 100 for smith, alchemy, and enchanting along with the correct perks to max out custom armor/weapons

*edit actually that's wrong (still haven't done it myself).. it's a fortify enchanting potion at 15% to make a set of armor to fortify alchemy potions.. then you put that set on and make another fortify enchanting potion- that pot should now be 31% to enchanting.. now make another set of fortify alchemy armor and trash the old set.. the new set will be 29%

now make a blacksmith pot and enchant pots.. make a set of fortify blacksmithing armor using your alchemy armor + new enchant pot.. then can run down and improve your weapons using the blacksmithing armor + blacksmith pot.. should be 29% x 4 + 130% to improving weapons

and 29% x 4 to improving enchantments.. anyone who's got there correct me if I'm wrong =p

Last edited: 22 Nov 2011
  8. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

So, restrict it to using only one thread, then allow it to multithread again? Strange fix. Could be a problem with Hyperthreading, it's been know to cause some strange effects... do you have HT enabled? I know I do... might try turning it off tonight.

9. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Well, I've just tried loading the game up.

It gets to the Bethesda logo (with no sound) and then CTD. I replaced the TESV.exe (with large address aware) with the original. It still didn't work. I revalidated my game files through Steam...it downloaded 2 files and still doesn't work. Brill!

:wallbash::wallbash:

Back to BF3 then.

10. thehippoz

yeah I had the exact problem with orcs must die.. and it fixed it in both

it's not a crash when it starts.. in game it would happen every now and then

probably windows related.. two different engines

11. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Weirdly enough I seem to have fixed it by dropping the audio quality down. I say weirdly (I know it has been a common problem) because it was working perfectly before the patch with audio set as I normally have it.

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I deleted my skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini, reloaded the game and set my options exactly the way they were before (the only mod I am running removes the BethSoft logo at load - it's basically a blank video file)...

...and it didn't crash on me for over an hour.

*crosses fingers*

13. Fused

Fused Minimodder

See here http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Smithing

Basically to get past superior you need to be Smithing 40 and have the perk which allows you to make and improve that particular item type, otherwise it is 65

14. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Cheers. Not long before I can improve my elven light armour then.

15. thehippoz

just smithed full daedric for me and my companion =]

[​IMG]

got two arrows strait through the head breaking it in though- think I should be dead :hehe:

16. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Yeah...my Nord is hard as nails with an arrow through the back of his cranium.

17. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Ahh, daedric looks good! I can't wait to finish my magic char and start a hack n slash one :D

18. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Right, I have had enough now! The more I play (about 50 hours so far) the more the game crashes. I now get about 5 minutes between them - I have just about worn out my F5 key from quicksaving so much.

It was just about bearable until last night and this morning. I am running with downgraded sound (44.1Khz) and the LAA fix on the OLD exe (can't use the LAA fix for the new EXE as this stops the ATI hotfix driver from working!). Granted I am running several ini tweaks including UGrids at 11, but I have been doing this right from the start. The gap between crashes has got shorter the longer I play.

I think I will give it a rest until some patches start appearing. I am enjoying the game and with the tweaks it looks very, very nice indeed.

19. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

FWIW the exe at that link I posted stopped the crashes for me, though I had it nowhere near as bad as what you've described. Haven't properly tested if it's using more than 2gb, but i guess that's not your main concern.

20. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Unfortunately the exe you linked to is the one that causes the ATI Hotfix to stop working (as it causes the exe to run as TESV.exe.4gb and the ATI driver is looking for TESV.exe). Although I could try it and disable crossfire manually (as that's all the hotfix does).

The game crashes out now at around 1.1Gb of used RAM.

I'm going to get back to Take On Helicopters for a few days and come back to Skyrim when I am in a better mood! Hopefully the promised 'Post Thanksgiving' patch will have come out by then, athough I have no idea when Thanksgiving might be!