1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SlaterSpeeds 'Liquified' - Update 09/08/04 - Stage2 Started!! (Painting)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slater, 9 Feb 2004.

1. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Update 1

Well i have bad news and good news

Bad news is i killed my heatercore :duh:. I was drilling a hole for the new pipes when the drill slipped and punchered a few veins :wallbash:. Not a huge loss but il have to go back down the breakers and get another.

You can see where the drill silpped and ripped the top off several veins (i removed the top of the tank to get a better pic)

[​IMG]

The good news is the copper for my waterblocks came so i spent a hour or so on the cpu block.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 May 2004
  2. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

copper

where did you get the copper from and how are you making your own blocks, take it you got access to a milling machine - jammy b****r!! :thumb:

will be following this thread...

.: Fillip :.

3. slater

I got the copper off ebay, take a look on there as theres some come on there every couple of weeks. Only cost me £20 for about 2' of 3/8"x2" bar + a few extra off cuts.

Yeh ive got access to a mill. bout 4 infact:) my dad owns a engineering buisness.

4. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

I'll be watching this one it looks good. :)

5. Arkangyl

Arkangyl What's a Dremel?

I can't wait to see how you're going to get all that watercooling stuff in your case...

6. slater

Sneek Preview :naughty:

[​IMG]

7. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

Looking good m8! want to see what it looks like in the end :D

8. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Hope you realise that combining copper + alu isn't the best of ideas.

Other than that looks good :thumb:

9. slater

Anodizing is good :thumb:

10. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Wow, I must say that that is looking awesome. I like the way the block is done, lots of surface area (more than most water blocks I have seen.)

Keep up the good work :thumb:

11. Spotpuff

Spotpuff What's a Dremel?

:eeek: Nice work on that water block! I've only seen people do sloppy custom drill press blocks, how'd you get channels that small in it? Don't tell me a dremel with a steady hand :p

12. slater

lol if only it was that easy ;) .

I use a slitting saw in a vertical mill. Bolted the vice to a 90* angle plate so the copper was held at the correct angle.

It was not as hard as most people try to make you think but of course you have to have the equipment in the firstplace. It took a while tho, from about 8 in the morning to 3 in the afternoon just for the channels.

I wish i had done it on the cnc now cous i made a small mistake and had to fill it with a bit of solder. (you notice?) but its just a cosmetic problem and wont eaven be seen when its all bolted together. I couldent use the cnc cous i had no idea how the saw would behave in copper so couldent program it correctly :(

Ive go an idea :idea: for a better design now tho so maybe i will make another one once i have the rest of the system is finished.

13. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

so you gonna go for a 3-barbed impingment type deal, ala whitewater, or just 2 barbs and flow straight through it? and yes, anodizing is your friend, but that would still make me nervous. good luck w/ that.

14. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Lookin good so far. :thumb: Love the orange on that case. :D

15. Spotpuff

Spotpuff What's a Dremel?

Yeah, all I have is a dremel so... no milling for me :) What's CNC?

I think most of the "top" modders (ZapWizard, Mashie, etc.) have experience using stuff that most of us non-good-modder-people don't. Like, bondo, carbon fibre, and having the right tool for the job is half the battle.

16. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

"Computer Numerical Control"

Pretty much all you have to do is program the part into the computer and it cuts it out for you. An example of a CNC machine would be a milling machine hooked up to a computer. You feed the computer a drawing in CAD format, tell the computer what material and stock size it is cutting, material feed rate (how fast it cuts through it) and then tell it in what order to cut all the features. Pretty neat stuff and it's much faster/more accurate than cutting by hand. Definately a great piece of equipment to have access to.
    :dremel:

Edit: It just occurred to me that you were probably making a joke when you asked what CNC is. If that's the case, please disregard this post. :)

17. slater

[​IMG]

There she is 99% done :D

Will get you some pics of the insides 2moz as i cant relly be bothered to go outside n get the allen key to dissasemble it :rolleyes:

I also went and got a replacement core. For now ive soldered some barbs straight on but it doesnt look like it will fit very well like that so i may change it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Oh.. come on.. You could do with PCI graphics can't you??? :lol:

That waterblock is teh sexy :rock:
    What kind of seal do you have in it? Won't the water leak out the little tiny small spots when it is under pressure from the pump? Or will the seal with just the metal be all that is needed? Forgive me, I am kindof a newb when it comes to making a waterblock. I am thinking of making my own and doing some watercooling.

19. slater

ha i could do it with the dead gigabyte board and the dead open windowed hdd aswell :naughty: .

The seal is just metal-metal (ie. no o-ring). I will use a bit of silocone gasket selent on the join between copper and aluminium and and ptfe tape on the barbs. Trust me it wont leak its been pressure tested to 60psi!:)

If you build a block using a plastic top then it would be nessicary to include an o-ring to ensure a good seal (you could use silocone but it would look kind of ugly :eeek:). if your building a copper/aluminum block theres no need for an o-ring just make sure the mating surfaces are clean and that you use a little gasket sealer. :thumb:

20. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Cool. I think I will go the easy way, and maybe use the gasket sealer. That or permant with some solder and a huge flame :naughty: Like what.. oh darn.. wered that bit-tech email go :wallbash: