Other Sleeping Dogs

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Elton, 26 Aug 2012.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Anyone grab this yet? Been playing it for two days. My impressions after quite a few hours are the following.

The driving is something you have to get used to, but there's weight behind the vehicles, it handles quite well, the only reason it won't is because of the really (and i mean really bad) camera.

The combat is very different from normal sandbox games. It liberally borrows from Batman Arkham Asylum and city. It's smooth if not very forgiving. The melee combat that is. I might also add that the sounds and the effects make this game very fun to engage in fights, because it just oozes style. The Gunplay is a bit crap actually. The cover mechanics are a bit clumsy but get used to it, and it plays out like a John Woo movie. Might I add, it took a few elements from Stranglehold.

Graphics and sound wise, the game is pretty damn good. Outside of the hilariously bad lip sync and the wonky character animation, the graphics look frankly great.

Overall, I ****ing love this game. It oozes style, the main story plays out like a Hong Kong movie, the Cantonese makes me chuckle and the ambience of Hong Kong is captured really damn well. My only gripes are minor, that being the camera, the awkward combat and platforming and the relatively short length (I'm almost done). But I can't wait till they add some DLC. This game is a huge load of fun and it does many things well.

Any other opinions?

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Loving it too, I have no issue with the camera when driving, well apart from if I touch it when reversing, other than that its fine rarely need to think about it.

Gunplay and cover mechanics are OK too maybe we are playing different, I am using a 360 pad and so it plays like any other console game, better than GTAs gunplay.

You can get a few more stats etc by linking you account to my.sleepingdogs.net

Graphics are good certainly expecting good things from GTA5 now.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Just finished it. So good..

4. maple

maple Minimodder

Tried the demo on ps3 didn't really like it but it didnt let you drive or see that much of the game only the button mashing (fighting)

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I thought it was not as good as GTAIV, but less silly than Saints Row 3 and definitely better than Mafia 2.

I liked the setting and the music and character voices were done well. But, perhaps because I don't really like this kind of movie, I didn't really relate to the characters so kind of got bored after playing more than an hour at a time.

The driving was quite well done, although the camera was a bit wild! I though the fighting was a bit clunky and nowhere near as smooth as in Arkham City.

I liked the fact you had a simplistic character skill tree (even though eventually you will fill it all anyway) - it would be good if they made this moire varied next time. In this version it didn't really matter which branch you took as you could fill them all in the end anyway.

It sounds like I hated the game, but I didn't. It is a good game, but it's obviously imitating GTAIV/Yakuza and although I does a better job than the latter, it isn't as polished as GTAIV. It was still worth it though and I still have a few things left to find!