Graphics SLI, different branded cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trenthan, 7 Feb 2010.

1. Trenthan

Trenthan What's a Dremel?

Ey guys, give you a quick rundown

I own two ASUS gtx280's

1 went faulty and couldnt be repaired and they send me a gtx285 back

I cannot SLI the two and now have a dedicated physicsX card and have lost out performance wise because of it.

Im looking at buying another gtx280, however i cannot find another ASUS one that matches mine or any ASUS ones actually. So if i was to say buy a XFX gtx280, or a OEM nvidia one (the two im looking at) can i run those in SLI with my ASUS gtx280....???

Also the XFX one is clocked at 670Mhz, and my ASUs one is clocked at 602MHz. Would that cause problems if i was to sli the cards??? (As in not allow me to)

Cheers Trent

2. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

As far as I know as long as same chip set then it's ok, last time I sli'd though was with 7800GT, they weren't same brand and worked fine

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

It works fine, although I think that equalizing the clocks would help, but as long as there wasn't a die revision(which is the GTX285) you're fine.

Go for it, a GTX 280 SLi'ed rig still owns.

4. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

brand doesn't matter as long it is the same gpu. Why not just get another gtx285?

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

He's got a GTX280, I don't think that would be wise.

6. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

I've got an XFX and a Leadtek GTX280 in SLi.
    The XFX was a factory overclocked card and the leadtek was stock speeds.

They work fine.

I use MSI Afterburner to overclock them and they overclock in unison, they also down clock to idle in unison.

My setup gives comparable benchmarks to a HD5870 setup.

7. Trenthan

Trenthan What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the quick replies.

Wasting my time googling and ive come across on the Nvidia forum

" in order to SLI two video cards they must have the same GPU. Its also best to have the same amount of memory on the video card to make it easier on yourself. As for the speeds that is not as important because when you SLI two video cards of different speeds the faster card will automatically slowdown to match the speed of the slower card.
    "

which matches what you guys have said

I would rather pickup another 285, but ive got water blocks for my gtx280's!, not to mention when playing around i can OC up to the 285 speeds + better it. Its just eh cost of another 285, + the water blocks would be around another 1000 AUD, and a gtx280 is only about 250-300AUD off ebay. For similar performance its not worth the price gap.

As for my gtx285, ive contacted ASUS and they are checking their inventory for another 280, but i doubt they have one sitting around. Got a nice paper weight if they dont for the interum

Cheers Trent