1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows So is Windows x64 "safe" yet?

Discussion in 'Software' started by pheonix, 21 Oct 2005.

1. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

Hi All,

Am thinking about upgrading to a shiny legit copy of Windows x64. I have been holding off due to driver support etc, and it would appear that most peripherals are ok. I'm still waiting for drivers for my printer, but apart from that, all other devices are ok.

However I'm wondering if there are any other issues currently arising? Any niggles/problems etc that I've not heard about. It all seems to have gone very quiet on the x64 front, due to hype about Vista. But to be honest, that doesn't sound that great, in terms of everythings locked down and anti this that and the other, as well as it needing an uber fast PC just to turn on.

Help Appreciated!

2. iamthejake2000

iamthejake2000 What's a Dremel?

I installed Windows XP x64, and I love it. The 32-bit emulator works perfectly. Some software (Like Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Internet Security) won't set up, but that's about the only problem. I had to give up the sound card I wanted to use, though, as there isn't a 64-bit driver for it (yet). Some devices will set up even if there isn't driver for one. For example, I have an HP Deskjet 5650 and a driver for a Deskjet 990c worked just fine.

3. MNC Fear

MNC Fear Banned

I notice that when I buy OEM copies of Windows 64 that its now cheaper than its 32 bit counterpart. Microsoft is now pressuring companies into going the 64Bit Route. It seems that almost everyone is making 64 Bit Drivers a priority. Even the lesser known Hardware Manufacturers are going with this. Cheers

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Is anything actually better on x64 though? I mean, is there any reason other then just because you have a CPU that can do it too to shift up?

5. iamthejake2000

iamthejake2000 What's a Dremel?

If you want to, you can download a free 120-day trial of Windows XP x64 here. You download an ISO image, which I would recommend burning with ISO Recorder.

6. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

Thanks guys :) I may well give that free trial a...urm...trial!

Only thing I'm waiting on really is Epson Printer Drivers :)

Tags: