1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony PS4 price set at £349 ($399)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 11 Jun 2013.

1. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

THe X Box one was designed for Americans, by Americans. So I wish them luck with it. I mean MS said themselves that the only reason to buy it was for the amazing american football or some other rubbish american sport coverage. THey are welcome to it.

For the first time ever I am thinking of buying a console and not investing in a PC and the PS4 has my deposit.

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

There was a rumor on gaf that Microsoft had got it's chequebook out to dissuade various devs and publishers from announcing PS3 versions at E3, which may explain the scarcity of announced software. Of course there's still two days left for them to really batter Microsoft around.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The once you've set it up, you have to go to the shops and buy a Kinect sensor anyway, Microsoft have already confirmed that the Xbone won't operate without a Kinect sensor, period.
    In their (carefully worded) statement about turning off the Kinect sensor, you may have noticed that to turn off Kinect, you have to turn the hardware off completely, so whilst the console is operating, so is the Kinect.

4. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Found this one round, Not sure if it is 100 percent accurate but at least it gives a good overview

[​IMG]

5. mikemaher205

mikemaher205 What's a Dremel?

Tried the un-official driver and it didn't really work with many games. Yes, I'm aware it sounds crazy, but in my view, letting PC gamers use the PS4 controller means other people like myself who prefer the shape of the PlayStation game pad will buy into Sony products. Just another little bit of market that Sony could take from Microsoft.

I am aware that to devote resources to creating a driver for PC would take resources away from more important development issues, but I'm just throwing my ideas out into the digital void of the internet... Hoping...

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I know it's not PS4 exclusive, but I am so psyched for Cyberpunk 2077.

7. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I don't see MS putting out a marked down SKU any time soon. As already stated, the Kinect has to be plugged in in order for the machine to function at all. There's also the consideration that MS is heavily investing into their kinect ecosystem, and the only way they will be able to convince devs to go along is if they can guarantee there's a kinect in every box.

They could slash the HDD capacity but that would be such a minor savings for their BoM I don't see how it would make a difference, plus every game requires an install so they would be further inconveniencing their consumers there.

They made a $1 billion investment into their platform and have worked out massive deals with tons of content providers such as the NFL and everything else. The notion that they can change any of the deeper aspects of their system on a whim is hard to swallow. Their high-ish price can't change. I just don't see them being willing to take a gigantic loss on the hardware.

I'm not at all worried about no mandatory camera in the base PS4 SKU (I'm assuming there will be a second SKU with more stuff). Why jack up the price for an accessory that has been show to be utter garbage on the 360? Most gamers don't care about camera games and Sony isn't heavily invested in that stuff to begin with so it makes perfect sense to provide the camera as an optional accessory for those who really want it, instead of forcing it on the vast majority of people that don't give a crap. If that doesn't incentivise developers to implement camera functions... all the better. I don't want to wave my hands around like a moron to complete tasks that are faster and easier with a pad.

For $399 I get a system with no hassles, all the features I'm used to, more power, better online functionality if I choose to engage with it, and I can put the damn disc in and PLAY. That's what I want, that's what Sony is making. I'm in, take my money.

Nintendo has Mario Kart, Zelda, etc so I'm in by default there. Almost sad to say, but hey, they always make good games and I've never been dissatisfied with my Nintendo purchases.

Then I got my main PC for the games I must play on PC, namely, BF4 and other shooters.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

[​IMG]

Although I hope in all this that the real winner will be AMD, because if they do things right that will have a direct knock on effect on us, the PC enthusiasts.

9. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

I was thinking that, this will be amazing for AMD

10. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

AMD might make some money this time round. Lol

11. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

they wont be making much, they know both ms and sony woulda gone knocking on someone elses door

12. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Think it's still on a disk but like a pc it needs to be installed..the game won't play direct from the disk.

£349 is pretty reasonable ps4 will make a killing.

13. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Wow, converged specs much? I guess the Wii U is the think different alternative again. I'm sitting this generation out until I've cleared the backlog of uncompleted/untouched games on my Wii and PS3.

Tags: Add Tags