1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Sony VPL-HW15 Projector Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 2 May 2010.

1. Valver

Valver I’m an AquaTuning product tester

What if I want to also do gaming on a projector? Do they introduce much controller lag during image procesing? And is there any image blur during fast movement/high contrast. Would be nice to point out this in the review.

2. Xir

Xir Modder

How much Image blur do you expect from a projectzor made to display fast paced action movies?
    Right.

Gaming then, Mass Effect 2 was just TOO big for me...also I can't cope with keyboard and mouse on the sofa.
    I do play Lego Star Wars (stop snickering) with the missus with two controllers on the sofa (no seriously, stop snickering) which is an incredible lot of fun. I'm looking forward to Lego Batman (okay so I admit it's funny, snicker all you like):D
    My guess is racing games will look great as well.

If I can be bugged i'l install Freespace 2...motion sicknes here I come:thumb:

3. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

projector always seemed to be way to go but in order to fully enjoy your home cinema with big screen i'd suggest to invest also in 'big' sound and get a proper AV setup and proper screen (which can remedy low luminance of your projector - read with high gain). I've been selling hi-fi/high-end for almost 4-5 years and large screen w/o good and big sound gives you only half the experience. still remember showcase of sim2multimedia projector and B&W Nautilus 800 series (7.1 with four woofers - each 1kW) connected to Rotel power amps and to McIntosh AV central. that was great experience. but good sound (depending on the size of your room) can be achieved with lot less money. don't worry about floor standing speakers as fronts. go for satellites + center + 1/2 woofers ;)

4. Xir

Xir Modder

I got the entire system for about 2,5k euros.
    about half for the projector
    rest for speakers, Amp, Blurayplayer and screen.

Epson EH-TW2900 Full-HD, Teufel Theater 100 5.1, Yamaha RX-V 565 (over the 765 as it was on a killer sale 30% off normal price) and Sony BDP-S360 (same killer sale, 50% off) 110" screen.
    All of this in a 30sq.meter room is plenty of oomph.

Still thinking about upgrading to 7.1 though...my rear sattelites are dipoles, which give great ambient sound but lack direction from behind :D

5. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

dipoles should be next to you not behind you - 7.1 is vital in larger rooms but what really works is 6.1 ;) - rear center does the magic

6. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

Do projectors suffer from input lag like LCD telly's then?

7. Arj12

Arj12 What's a Dremel?

I didn't realise LCD TV's suffered from input lag (unless you are talking about the 5ms that you get quoted with pc LCD screens)!

8. Xir

Xir Modder

They are, hence the lacking directional sound from behind :D
    (Actually they're slightly behind and above my hearing position, that's what the setup told me to)

6.1 hmmm, don't think my amp supports that...nor any standard. Then again, aren't the two rear speakers in a 7.1 setup getting the same signal anyway?

9. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

Yeah, there's quite a lot of input lag actually. I have to set a audio delay of around 80ms or the sound doesn't sync up between my Sony LCD TV and my surround sound.

LCD TV's usually use PVA panels so you get all the same problems that you get with similar computer monitors. Setting the TV to Game Mode helps a bit though.

Tags: Add Tags