1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Soon able to re-sell Games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by vdbswong, 3 Jul 2012.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

But I understand and accept that I don't own my Steam / Origin games, if I wasn't happy with the terms of the service then I wouldn't use use that service.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I own Mass Effect, I played it for about an hour and it just isn't my sort of game.

My daughter loves it and the only way she can play it is by logging in as me meaning I can't play what I want at the same time, why can't I just give it to her, it's my property after all as money has changed hands.

She still gets to play it anyways.

Licensing is a BS excuse to extort money plain and simple.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

In the end sadly it's true, you don't HAVE to 'buy' games on steam. It's your choice, if you want to play it, you have to accept their rules. (although I wish you didn't)

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'll continue to buy games from steam, all my purchases have been absolute bargains, I just think I should be able to do what the hell I like with what I have purchased.

5. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

If you use offline mode then you can play ME on one machine while logging in to your account to play whatever you want.

It's not your property but that's a whole other argument.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I think that's the whole arguement, why isn't it my property.

I paid for it but apparently it's all just 1's and 0's so therefore I can pirate windows and it's all good cos it's just 1's and 0's.

Hmm I'm not usually this argumentitive :)

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

It isn't because technically you're paying for a lease and a license to use the software. Mind you given that money was exchanged it should be a one time trasaction but it's a lease and license that's within their terms.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh I know all of this but when your paying the same amount as you would for a hard copy it really makes no sense.

IE I purchsed Just Cause 2 on disc and it was pretty much the same price as the digital copy (actually cheaper) and yet I still had to register it through steam......so what difference is there between hard copy and digital copy, we're getting cheap games and being screwed at the same time, go figure.....

Legal mumbo Jumbo that so many people fall for.

9. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Oh with the ruling you now absolutely own the digital copy of the game in your hard drive, regardless of what Steam DRM says. Reread what the judgement said:

"Such a transaction involves a transfer of the right of ownership of the copy"

You own that copy of the software and you can resell it, no matter what Valve will may have you believe or any EULA for any software.

They exhausted their distribution right over that individual copy when they sold you that copy. You can now do what you like with it, just like you could a book or physical disc.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

10. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I'm not so sure this is a great thing. The EU has a history of thinking it's doing the right thing then it turning out to be a monumentally stupid and ill thought out idea.

If all games now become subscription based or free to play were you can/must buy over priced "content" I'll know where to aim my anger.

11. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

So the ruling is not binding yet but it is a step forward for some...

So for now if you want to sell a game but are told by a company that you can't you will have to take them to court first. Lets see who wants to try it out......

In reality I can't see the likes of Steam, Sony or MS even bothering to try and comply...... I hope I am wrong as it will be a victory for the common person.....

12. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

The problem for Valve is that they sold indefinite licenses when you buy a game off Steam. The court ruled that when this occurs, they lose the right to ownership for that individual license, so a sale definitely occurs and ownership of the copy of the software is now transferred to you (just like when you buy a physical product).

You can't claim that an indefinite license is a subscription, just because Valve technically describes it as such in their EULA. This would only be true if they stipulated that you paid X amount a year/month for the license, but they clearly haven't done this.

They basically must go fully subscription based, like Netflix, if they want to somehow get around the ruling, but I am sure that they could not do this retrospectively. So all the games currently in your Steam catalogue have had this transfer of ownership occur and you could resell them :).

13. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

If the system was changed you can say goodbye to bargain games, Steam would have to sell all the games at full RRP to recoup the lost profit from second hand sales.

14. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

While initially I got excited I'm siding with longweight on this one, for the same reasons I don't pirate games. I think that the devs (and publishers to an extent) should get money from the sales of their games. (Excluding some publishers, who are just *******s.)
    I am happy to give Valve my money. They produce a product I enjoy. They offer the best service for delivering the product I enjoy. The same goes for many other developers.

This would be more detrimental to the PC gaming market than beneficial, due to the fact that when you go buy second hand goods from a store, you have to go there, the products might be marked, etc. There are drawbacks to buying second hand games from stores. You can also often get a copy online cheaper.

If second hand goes digital, then you are getting the equivalent of a brand new product, just cheaper, without money going to anyone behind the product.

Software licenses should not be treated the same way as phsyical goods. That is apparent due to piracy. That is something which simply cannot happen in the real world, so needs to be treated differently.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

EA among others already are detroying second hand sales market, the ps vita games only allow you to get the achievements once If that's your thing

Any game brought on steam or for steam from a shop can never be sold similar to origin don't see this changing with this ruling could make more issues than it solves

Online game accounts to blizzard will not be affected you agreed to there terms and conditions + eula both of which state you can not sell your account as you don't legally own it

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I thought the whole point of this agreement was that it didn't matter if a EULA said you couldn't sell it on, you could?

17. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

EU law supercedes any EULA or T&Cs stipulated by copyright owners. That's a fact whether you believe it should or shouldn't be true. You can resell your downloaded software licenses in law now. That's a right you have by virtue of living in the EU.

And just for the Valve apologists, this is a good development. The idea that you pay for a product but don't own it is complete BS. It's about time something stood up to their restrictive DRM practices.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

18. rollo

rollo Modder

Good luck selling a blizzard account as they will ban it instantly

Similar to what steam does

Also this does not apply outside of Europe, European market I dout is big enough for steam ea origin apple ect to change all there program's

As it effects

Xbox live and ps3 digital stuff also enough how you will sell anything digital is another matter

The courts may of allowed it but it took Microsoft 5 years to not include Internet explor by default how long will this take to implement

Can you realistically ever see apple letting you sell the applications you have brought second hand.

Theres also a huge difference between letting you sell and giving you the tools to sell what you own
    As how in the world do you transfer a game of Xbox live and sell it on as it is drm locked for one.

And that's the big thing most have ignored

Yes you can sell your steam accounts I guess but how many would, individual sales won't happen unless valve ea origin ms and apple want it to happen, none of those countries based in Europe either.

Sony who had a similar rulling about eula have 2 different ones

One Eula for rest of the world
    One for europe

There's nothing stopping this sort of rulling creating a 2 tier release on digital items

Tier 1 gets it months in front of europe ( aka rest of world)
    Tier 2 gets it later cause publishers don't want second hand sales on new games so they delay the launch

19. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Well this apply to the likes of itunes and android play?

20. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

rollo:

[​IMG]

steam allready have to comply with local laws , so they will have to comply with this one whilst maybe not selling the entire account in 1 go , you can resell the games you have paid for.