1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sorry for leaving

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Tattysnuc, 4 Dec 2011.

1. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Thanks.

I've only got the 3 rigs up at the moment-
    1x i7 950 @3.8 on Air
    1x i7 2600k @4.6 under water with a GTX 480 @ 825
    1xi7 2600K@4.5 under water with a GTX 295

Additionally, I've got a media centre rig but that has had to come off line as the Zotac board developed a fault. Once that comes back, I'll have another 2600K folding

2 of the rigs are going to be on folding permanently, and the other two added "in times of need" (i.e. when the house gets cold :) ) - it's the only way I can keep the bills down and keep "competitive". I'll revert to 2 rigs when I break back into the top 200. I was there a while back before I switched over to Hexus (I was spending more time there, so felt I should really contribute to their team). Once I'm in the top 200 I'll just leave the 2 rigs going.

That's the plan... If I can find a decent tutorial for setting up BCCD/Cloud computing I'd like to have a play with that so I may have to leave more rigs on, but that's the plan.

2. big-bert

big-bert What's a Dremel?

Wow, 3 x 2600k when done. Congrats. I'm still trying to get my 2nd 2600k up and running.

Tattysnuc likes this.
  3. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Welcome back bud, glad to see a previous folder return even though I understand why you left, hope you find your feet again as we still have one of the best folding teams around ;) :thumb:

Tattysnuc likes this.
  4. Tattysnuc

Hi folks,

I'm having to wind down my folding for a while - our financial situation has changed, and I can no longer afford to have 2 rigs folding 24/7, especially as one of them is only working at 50% capacity.

Rest assured I'll be back as soon as the situation changes.

TTFN

5. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

That's a shame, but happening to a lot of people ATM.

Hope you are able to restart folding soon.

6. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Hope the financial situation picks up, and we see you back here soon.

7. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Times are certainly tough at the moment - hope your financial situation sorts itself out quicker than you expect.

8. Slowlemon

Slowlemon What's a Dremel?

I`m very sorry to hear you are shutting down. I hope you hang around on the forum. Your experience and enthusiasm are greatly valued.

9. Tattysnuc

Which is cheaper to run...?

GTX 295 (@ 650mhz per core)
    i7 920 @ 4200Mhz (200 base, 21 multi)
    i7 920 @ stock (1.03v)

I've recently un-overclocked my server and suddenly the GTX 295 appears to be working fine on both cores (problem was logged here)

I'd like to keep something going, so can anyone advise which would yield the best ppd per watt?

I'm leaving the 295 running for as long as I physically can.

10. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

The processor should use a lot less power than the 295 and produce nearly as much. As far as ppd per watt, depends how much voltage is used for the over clock. To go the most efficient not just largest output, would probably be trying to overclock the processor using only stock voltage. Overclocking in most cases reduces the ppd/per watt but increases output obviously. You should be able to get it to 3ghz or so on stock voltage for a ppd of around 12-15k? At 4.2k I guess you would be getting around 25k? Stick a wattage meter on the computer and have a play.

Here is something i found for the power consumption of a 920 at different speeds and voltages.
    http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article/2008/11/13/intel_core_i7_920_overclocking_power

Also if the 920 has the GTX295 in it, it would use around 100 watts in idle. Throw a low powered card in it if you have one, to again reduce power consumption.

11. Tattysnuc

Right, it's getting a bit cooler now, so rather than turn on the heating, I'm going to cure cancer and heat my home in the process.... well at least for the next few days. Have got a few days off work.

I've been folding on my multimedia server (i7 920 @ 3.6 + GTX 295) which has been knocking out about 25kppd. Am going to put my i7 950 @ 4.2 + dual GTX 480's back into the mix and see what I can tolerate heat wise... :)

Just changed energy supplier as mine was putting up their prices - Scottish Power had a deal on that worked out £70 a month cheaper, so am going to give it a blast for a couple of days :)

12. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

nice to see you back Tatty :D

13. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan What's a Dremel?

Welcome back again Tatty - know the heat thing...running my rig generates just enough heat that the yeast in my breadmaker doesn't die from cold in the kitchen - nothing worse than heavy flat bread in the lunchbox lol!

Rig 1 -
    I7-975 EE 3.53Ghz - tower air cooler can't remember mfr.
    2x Radeon HD7770's
    12 Gb Triple channel DDR3
    Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5
    Varies - apparently it hit about 30k ppd earlier this week according to the stats site
    Rig 2 -
    work laptop running an i5-2520 at standard clocks - daren't mess with that as it's my work one and it can only run nights and weekends - about 9k ppd just now - and lots of heat lol

Last edited: 13 Oct 2012
  14. Ben Lamb

Ben Lamb What's a Dremel?

Glad you are keeping on folding, I have just got back into it myself and hope this forum stays active to keep things interesting and build a team spirit. We need guys like you to help make it that way plus we need to keep team China Folding Power from overtaking !