Case Mod - In Progress Space Case Study (SCS-1)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Karrek, 9 Nov 2020.

1. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

I received my acrylic scoring tool in the mail, and it works SOOO much better than a utility knife. I'm sure saws would still work better and easier, but the scoring tool at least still allows me to move forward.

I cut a 2-inch wide piece to be part of my PSU cover, bent it in my acrylic bender, and put it into place for a test fit. The aluminum shelf on the back will eventually be taped into place, with the shroud able to be secured down.
    [​IMG]

I love the feeling of having available the tools needed to do a job (whether basic or advanced tools).

Jean R built and arduum like this.
  2. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

I decided to experiment a little. I have seen build logs where people have set a knurled nut into acrylic by heating it with a soldering iron, basically heating it up until it melts itself into place.

Since that works, why couldn't I do the same with other metal objects?

I'm pretty sure that I will have an acrylic panel with fans, so maybe I could melt the wire mesh into the acrylic…

I grabbed a scrap piece of acrylic, cut a small piece of mesh, and started experimenting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It actually work fairly well, although slowly, as I had to heat up each piece of the metal wire mesh as I went along. I only did a couple inches, but this showed me it would work.

Then I tried warming the acrylic up with my bender before melting in the mesh.

[​IMG]

And that worked even better in getting the mesh to be more inset into the acrylic (basically flush!) You can see in the pic below - the left side is the soldering iron only, and the right side is the warmed acrylic plus the soldering iron. (I only did both sides for a short distance and not the entire length of the scrap.)

[​IMG]

I assume you could warm the acrylic with a heat gun or hair dryer as alternate options.

I'm excited about this and will be trying it in at least a couple places on my panels.

Cheapskate and Jean R built like this.
  3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Karrek enters his pyro phase. :D The hair dryer won't work. I'd hate to see the hair dried by something that can melt plastic.