1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Spec me a coffee machine.

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 27 Mar 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Aah, in that case who the hell cares. My situation due to lack of functioning tastes means that I seek tolerable flavour wherever I might find it. It might well ge that I spend cash on a coffee making appliance that produces a liquid that has a taste akin to raw sweage. A taste beer has adopted now and so become undrinkable not of course that I have ever tasted raw sewage.

2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I'm to busy loading the gun to complain about heathens ruining whisky.
    But back on topic, an aeropress does me, but then I only drink one cup of Joe a day.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Nothing wrong with a milky coffee. An instant coffee made from milk instead of water, on the other hand, is madder than a whole sack of weasels.

But hey, if it works, why not?

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

As I said I enjoy so few flavours these days anything goes.

I note that Cafetieres have not been mentioned by anyone or are these another coffee gadget that purists frown on?

I hasten to add I no nothing of these things either.

5. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I use them. Was just about to get mine out. French press is just another name for them.

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Oh right, thanks. I have a milky coffee beside my sick bed.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2015
  7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Again I have not read the thread but if you just want decent strength coffee get a bog standard coffee pot and some decent grounds. Think my pot was about £15.

I used to use a French press and a filter machine but the pot I find is better for me, nice and hot too.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Not sure my issues concern strength but rather whether I can get a tolerable flavour from the coffee.

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

When I bought my grinder last year it was a toss up between the Hario Skerton and the Porlex grinder.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I was joking about drinking instant. But milk is for pussies, of course. :p (joking. joking!)

I think that your situation is a tricky one. It comes down to how your damaged taste buds interpret taste. A staged exploratory approach may be called for. What tastes better to you:

- instant or fresh ground?
    - hot or cold?
    - black or milky?
    - plain or sweet?

Sweet may cover sugar, honey and artificial sweetener --check which gives the best taste.

Once you figured out the best combination, then ask yourself in what way you would brew the best of your preferred drink.

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I can answer a couple of those.

There is an optimum temperature where I seem to get the fullest flavour. I have noticed that this is a very narrow band as a little either way kills it completely. Though I can drink it whist it is hotter the flavour is not there. That also works at the other end anand my Fortisip once it has reached room temperature from being fridge temperature it to becomes undrinkable.

Definitely milky as I have always loathed the taste of black.

Sweet is definitely sugar I have tried alternatives and get very little from them.

No experience of fresh ground hence the thread I am hoping that the flavour will be more intense so more pleasing.

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I wouldn't call fresh ground coffee more intense. It doesn't have extra coffee flavour. It's just a better coffee flavour.

If you want more intense you could try one of those stove top espresso makers plus a bag of ground espresso coffee. That method of making it will intensify the flavour. That's probably the cheapest method to make more intense coffee. From there you can water the shot down with water and milk to see if it makes things better or worse.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Thought so. It may be worth dunking a thermometer in when it is at just the right temperature to see what it is. Coffee needs to brew at 96°C, certainly not less than 91°C, so you may need to let it cool down a little once infused. Or add cold milk.

That's not just you. Fortisip is undrinkable at room temperature. :p

A Macmillan dietician, Palliative Care doctor and I do a lecture every year at the Birmingham School of Cancer Studies on the subject of managing weight loss and nutrition in cancer. We bring in a full selection of dietary supplements. All the attendees have to taste each and everyone of them --it's a condition of attending the lecture. Our philosophy is: if you are going to prescribe it, you should know what it tastes like (I'd also want them to have an Nasal-Gastric tube inserted just so they have that experience, but that's a bit awkward to do with twenty people).

I can tolerate most of the supplements --they taste like really cheap, artificially flavoured molten ice cream to me. But they are very sweet and seem to dehydrate me worse than the hospital air circulation system (which desiccates one to a freeze-dried state in two hours flat). The only stuff that tastes worse are supplements/substitutes for people with metabolic disorders e.g. PKU etc. That stuff is vile.

That also makes sense.

It almost certainly will be. There is also dark roast vs. light roast to consider.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2015
  14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

FTFY [assuming it's the stuff I'm thinking about...] only had it once [as a bet], and anyone who has to drink that **** on a daily basis has my condolences... It's hospital food in a bottle...

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

That's not just you. Fortisip is undrinkable at room temperature. :p

A Macmillan dietician, Palliative Care doctor and I do a lecture every year at the Birmingham School of Cancer Studies on the subject of managing weight loss and nutrition in cancer. We bring in a full selection of dietary supplements. All the attendees have to taste each and everyone of them --it's a condition of attending the lecture. Our philosophy is: if you are going to prescribe it, you should know what it tastes like (I'd also want them to have an Nasal-Gastric tube inserted just so they have that experience, but that's a bit awkward to do with twenty people).

I can tolerate most of the supplements --they taste like really cheap, artificially flavoured molten ice cream to me. But they are very sweet and seem to dehydrate me worse than the hospital air circulation system (which desiccates one to a freeze-dried state in two hours flat). The only stuff that tastes worse are supplements/substitutes for people with metabolic disorders e.g. PKU etc. .[/QUOTE]

What a good idea getteing those that prescribe also taste, they certainly do not know what these supplements taste like up here.

But even I do not know what Fortisip really tastes like because of the added complication of having buggered taste buds but I have often said that Fortisip is likely to tastes just as bad if my taste buds were fine. In Edinburgh we also have the choice of Esure and I managed a mouthful before consigning the rest to the toilet.

@RedFlames

[​IMG]