1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Squircle] Finishing Touches 04 /09/14

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Glent, 11 Apr 2014.

1. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Next little update for you lot before I make the first massive hurdle that is powder coating. Which I have to be honest I'm struggling with the colour choices, I had a choice in mind but as I progress, I'm really on the fence just now. That said I have only a few days to make my mind up!

[​IMG]
    Anyhow I want to once again express my gratitude to guys at OCUK. I've been in regular contact with them in an attempt to track down and source the mammoth amount of fittings this build requires.

Sadly we couldn’t meet the deadline in time but did manage to locate a good chunk of them. 22 of the required 32 required fittings.

Some slight alterations to the lower chamber will be made for the sake of getting this rig to I52, It's a LAN rig after all these thing happen!

Shipment 1 [22] Bitspower Multi-Link Adapter G1 / 4 inch OD 12mm - Matte Black

[​IMG]

Shipment 2 - Various extenders and such, as well as a few more [Bitspower Multi-Link adapter 90 degrees - Matte Black] fittings to compensate and adjust the loop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also picked up a few odds and ends from E22, Time depending of course, I shall attempt to sleeve the PSU. I've opted to use white and grey to keep the amount of colours in check too. I've no real experience in sleeving but I shall see how it goes, luckily my father in law has the ideal tools for such a task too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With enough fittings to hand I could now finally begin the loop, with some small changes thought due to stock issue with the BP fittings
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Massive thanks Pascal also. I Wanted two Alphacool reservoirs for this build and he managed to get them to me in time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm tired as hell lately, juggling far too much real life stuff, even the tools are feeling exhausted and packed up at one point: D.

[​IMG]

So that's where I'm at today with more to follow, oh and I’m working on this too

[​IMG]

More soon, and again thanks for reading!

Insomnia Gaming Festival attendees [I52] Feel free to come and see me at the MSI Stand :)

2. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

*I am uploading temp images until I can access some better/HQ ones*

As an avid build log reader, theirs nothing worse than large chunks of the build not being documented, for many reasons I don't have as many images as I would like.

I would like to thank Phil for the late last minute help with some additions!

[​IMG]

This is something I made in sketchup, I wasn't happy with scale of the MSI tail and hands when placed, I opted to use the Circuit Design from the MSI Gaming range packaging.

case Feet are something else I had overlooked, stock of the ones I wanted was issue [...again]
    Thinking outside of the box I opted to used some spare Alphacool res tops and selections of nuts/bolts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I set about adding some additional cable routing for the 24 pin and SATA ports.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I began sleeving the cables, I must state I really wished I had
    1. Started sooner
    2. Ordered even spare terminals!

I can say with confidence It's no easy feat to sleeve. even after mass research I found the cable towards the end much more to my liking, as with everything you have little experience with that is.

The added challange being that the CM power supply uses a rather unusual wiring method. The 24 pin actually bridges off to 10 and 18 pin connector.

So rather than double wire to one terminal approach I used the lutro0 solder guide. Results where mixed and I will redo them soon!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before powdercoating I mocked up the frame with some spare vinyl and photoshoped it, right up until the last second I was still unsure to go Black or white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

White just seemed to work better
    [​IMG]

Mock up with the side door [Not fitted yet]
    [​IMG]

Last minute deleiverys to wire up all the fans and LED's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where I was at one point :D at 5.30 AM fixing things
    [​IMG]

Now sadly I don't have any decent images from Insomnia...other than these

Mid filling...working on the air bubbles
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Within and hour or two of setting up. I faced an issue of no display, then no power to the system. Due to extremely restrcited work space their was little I could do. The system was moved to another part of the exhibit, on onto a funky oil drum of sorts. The system that was wired up into my spot after also faced power issues and blew their hard drive. At this point I was very concerned at just how much damage had been done

Things went south that night as we took the rig back to our hotel, in attempt to getting it up and running. We where struck down with food poisoning and after missing out all of Saturday, we hit the road and traveled 230 miles back to get some much needed rest.

I've spent the last few days getting back on my feet and getting the rig running again. Nothing major was damaged... thankfully.

These are the only images I have from my phone atm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will take some HQ shots of the rig and have them online ASAP!

While it wasn't the most ideal outcome I still had a blast and will be back more at the next iseries event

Last edited: 26 Aug 2014
  3. colinmcr

colinmcr What's a Dremel?

Looking great since I last saw some pics.

4. Bad Fenny

Bad Fenny What's a Dremel?

Great looking build.

Cheers

Fen

5. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Thank man

Yeah getting their :D

Thanks, Appreciated

First off, Thanks to Mick from Mayhems for supplying me some Liquid- Aurora 2 Red
    [​IMG]

A few more images for you guys with some new addition such as the IO area, I've boxed in,

Their are still a few rough edges to sort and small tweaks to add ;) Im playing with the colours, I wasn't happy with the amount of red in the build, around the CPU mostly, likewise the red circuit may become black

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've just not had much free time lately, sorry for the lack of update but more to follow.

6. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

cleaned up thread, added hardware/components list and a FAQ

7. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Great looking build. Not that I want to poop on the party, but a rounded square isn't the same thing as a squircle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squircle

It's a cool build, but it's no squircle.

8. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Yeah this case got my vote because I just find it stands out more than the other and it's a nice clean build. Love the colours as well as the items used in the build.