Displays SSD and new monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by will_123, 18 Apr 2013.

1. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Moving out the parents and in with the girlfriend and before she takes all my money for unnecessary items like food and clothes, I want to invest in something for my man cave in new house!

A new SSD for my macbook - im pretty set on the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB? Would anybody have any other advice for one? The macbook is a beast its got quad core and 8Gb of RAM but the old 5400rpm drive is chugging along. Really got used to the win8 on SSD and the laptop is now unbearable.

Also im getting a new monitor, got my heart set on a high res 2560x1440 display. This will be used for my macbook and desktop. The thunderbolt looks really really good. But I don’t understand why its nearly double the price of dells equivalent in the Ultrasharp line. Anybody used both? Looking at the prices I could get a 30 inch dell for the same price as apple display.

Any advice on either decision would be great :)

Thanks
    William

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The 840 Pro is fine for the MacBook, documented as working fine.

Apple's Thunderbolt display is expensive because it's a) Apple and b) Thunderbolt. It isn't just a normal USB hub, but does GigE/Firewire/iSight HD and also MagSafe charging as well. So really, it depends on your need for those items, otherwise just get the Dell U2713H.

I personally own the slightly older Apple 27" Cinema Display, which is identical to the Thunderbolt but without the Thunderbolt technology (works via DisplayPort), so lacks the GigE/Firewire. Great display, although a little reflective if you're under direct light.

3. will_123

Hmmm. Yes I noticed it seemed like an all in one. So its essentially a very good looking dock as well. That is pretty neat....just not sure if its 300ish quid neat. I assume i could plug my desktop into the cinema display with an adapter?

I have a few student friends so might see if I can get a sly discount on the cinema display. Other than that I reckon the dell will be for me. 900 is a lot of money..

Cheers for feedback.

Last edited: 18 Apr 2013
  4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yes, the Thunderbolt displays are indeed basically docking stations for the laptops. As for plugging your desktop in, I'm very unsure on this, as PC support of Thunderbolt is limited at best - I can get an accessory card for my board (ASUS Maximus V Gene) at a cost of £100, but it's not even 100% guaranteed to work with the Thunderbolt display.

£750 is roughly the price on education discount for the Apple display (it's what I paid for mine, and they're the same retail price).

If you're wanting to use the display for both laptop and desktop, definitely go for the Dell.

will_123 likes this.
  5. will_123

Cheers +rep

6. will_123

Think im going to go for the dell. I want both my desktop and macbook to be able to use it and the dell seems to suit my needs. The cinema display would be cool to have with the dock, but not at the price its at.

You said the dell u2713h what’s the difference to the dell u2713hm version it around a 100 quid cheaper? I can see its 8 bit instead of 10 and Amazon reviews seem to hint that the build quality is questioned in few reviews. Should I avoid this one?

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

You pretty much summed it up - the HM is a cheaper, lower quality display. I would go for the 10bit panel if I were you, and if you can afford it.

8. will_123

That's fine, just wanted to make sure. No point spending that much money for something sub quality.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2