Storage SSD or F3?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr_Wongy, 29 May 2010.

1. Mr_Wongy

Mr_Wongy What's a Dremel?

Hi all was just hoping you could provide me some advice on wether I should purhase an SSD or a 1TB Samsung F3.

I am currently running a q6600, 4gb ram and a 4850 sapphire vapor x, my motherboard is getting replaced by a P5b deluex which I aquired for free.:D
    I am currently looking to get a new OS drive. I have and over a TB of storage space, but I could always use more although im not desperate...yet
    I have £150 max to spend on this and am planning a complete rebuild(almost) for a few months time(when I have more funds). I will use this OS drive in my next build.

Any way enough rambling here's the question should I get a SSD or a samsung F3, if SSD would anyone care to recommend something within my bugget.

Thanks in advance.

2. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

SSD mate, you will not regret it.

3. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

For an OS, an SDD is a much better choice than an F3, as regards which one to go for, well, if you could extend your budget a few ?s, then an 80GB Intel X25-M G2, still is the best performance/size/price option around...or if you can't extend your budget a few ?s, then the 64GB Crucial M225...
    ________
    WASHINGTON MEDICAL MARIJUANA

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  4. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

If you are willing to go just a little over budget, you could get this one:

Intel X-25 M 80GB SSD

It was recommended to me by someone else on these forums and I haven't regretted buying it. It's great, installed Win7 in about 10 mins, startup from cold boot is about 30-40 seconds, and shutdown is around 7 seconds for me. Also, this drive is really fast in the 4K read/write areas, which means general usage in the OS is super nippy. :thumb:

EDIT: jbloggs beat me to it!:lol:

5. koli

koli What's a Dremel?

Thumbs up for Intel SSD from me too. You won't regret it.

6. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

SSD. I'm never going back to a HDD as an OS drive :) I was lucky and got the Crucial M225 64Gb when it was £110... I'd agree that the intel X-25 M is probably the best bet now.

7. deadlyavenger

deadlyavenger What's a Dremel?

I have the Crucial M225 64Gb as I have a 1Tb drive for all my storage needs. I havn't gotten around to updating to the latest firmware yet as I bought it just before win7 came out. It's on my to-do list though.

I'd strongly recommend going for the SSD.

If you don't - if your old OS drive is fairly old - you will definitely notice a huge improvement if you get a new 1Tb drive...my new 1Tb western digital black almost outpaces my 150Gb Raptor.

8. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

I'd say SSD in this case.

I was once considering one of the budget 32GB/40GB SSDs for <£85 however these ones all seemed to have 180 MB read speeds and small 35 MB write speeds (compared to the 120 MB read and 90 MB write speeds of the F3) so - considering I'm on a budget (plus I wanted to dual boot Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and Ubuntu 10 64-bit which would be over 30 GB) - I opted for the F3.

But yeah, for £150 I'd definitely recommend an SSD.

9. Mr_Wongy

Mr_Wongy What's a Dremel?

Thanks everyone for the response, looks like its settled im getting an SSD
    Hopfully will be able to order this next week. (budget got chipped at when I took the misses shopping)

Thanks for the advice.

Tags: