Case Mod - In Progress StackArt

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by fflow, 10 Dec 2007.

1. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Hi there. I´ll do a short introduction of myself as I am new to the Bit-tech forum. My name is Arjen and I am from the Netherlands (please do not judge me to hard on my, from time to time, poorly spelled words and plain abuse of the English language. If it’s really inappropriate please let me know so I can fix it).
    This particular casemod is not the first I made. The first was a MDF case for the living room which I replaced with the cd speler (cd player) mod. The third mod was Silent Dragon in which I attempted to combine silent with overclocking power. Also I like to overclock and recently I started Project AC/OC with a friend of mine which will result in a nice oc rig. The threads are all in Dutch but the pictures will tell most of the stories. So far for my introduction, time for my latest casemod project: StackArt.

As the name suspects the central element in this casemod will be a Coolermaster Stacker. To be precise the first of it´s kind, the STC-T01

The second important aspect of this cip is the Art-Deco style I want to use. To my idea in the Art Deco style there are many beautiful buildings and objects designed. In short the style comes down to long lines, bent surfaces en bright colour. I will try to incorporate these elements into this casemod.

The premium materials that I will be using are aluminium, plexiglas and mesh. The aluminium will be brushed and used to create surfaces. The plexiglas will be used to create style elements and to ad some colour to the case. The premium plexiglas colour will be clear yellow. Besides this colour also clear red, green and blue will probably be used. The mesh will be used for the vents.

Water cooling will be an important aspect of the case as well. The primary reason is to have a good cooling. Because I like the water cooling elements some parts will be clearly visible.

These are the important aspects that I have clear for my self. The complete plan is not finished and will take shape as the building progresses. The location of the pc and water cooling parts is something that is planned and will become clear in the following updates. Because I already started the mod and the log a little while ago the first the updates will be posted directly after this start post.

What leaves for now are a few pictures of the case itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I bought it second hand and it has some user marks on it but for the rest it is rock solid.

Enjoy!

Update 01
    Update 02
    Update 03
    Update 04
    Update 05
    Update 06
    Update 07
    Update 08
    Update 09
    Update 10
    Update 11
    Update 12
    Update 13
    Update 14

Last edited: 25 Feb 2011
  2. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Time for the first update as I already started work on the mod.

The first step was to strip the case as much as possible.
    [​IMG]
    Also the motherboard tray has been reversed from the right to the left side of the case. This was necessary because the case will stand on the left of me on the desk and I would like to look thru the window to the inside.
    Reverse ATX’ing the tray wasn’t that hard to do because the case is prepared for BTX. But reverse atx is still different so the psu tray had to go to make it fit.

Because the case will be on my desk I ran into a problem. The Stacker is a whopping 58 centimetres in depth and with all the cables attached even 4 centimetres more. With my desk only being 60 centimetres the case would hang over the edge. This called for a solution.

I chose to bring the motherboard and the psu back into the case.
    [​IMG]
    To be able to attach the mobo tray I used aluminium profiles. With this action the mobo tray was 4 centimetres to long and a piece had to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The mobo tray had to be at a 90 degree angle with the rear of the case so it was not possible to directly screw it to the drive bay. A hollow aluminium tube was cute to be used as a spacer. The bolt was bolted into self tappet screw thread.

To finish the first update with a few pictures to show the global setup of the parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In the front of the case the radiator has it’s place tohether with three fans that will push the air thru the rad out of the front of the case. In the lower part of the case there will be two or four harddrives that will be placed in a self made bracket. To the right the pump will have it’s spot, but without that piece of wood ;). In the top of the case there is some space left for the power supply and the dvd burner.

Last edited: 1 May 2008
  3. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Update 2

The first thing I did was to redo the work I already had done. After talking about the mod with a friend we came to the conclusion that it would be nicer to let the aluminium profiles to which the mobo tray and the psu are mounted run down to the bottom of the case. Because I was going to redo it I decided to do them in a closed box profile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It was doing the same job twice but I am glad I did it because it brings more line in the case.

Because I wanted the top part of the case that houses the psu and dvd I needed a way to screw in the psu from the rear of the case. By using two steel sheets, one on the inside of the case and one on the back of the psu, it would be possible. Mayby a few pictures will be more clarifying than these words.
    [​IMG]
    This is the sheet on the inside of the case. There will be a hole to slide the psu through.

Before continuing the place of the fourth bolt needed to be pinpointed. Because with the same bolt a support beam for some aluminium sheets was to be bolted down. The upper edge of the mobo tray will serve as rear support for the sheet. The support beam the forward support and for exact placement of the support beam I used the height of the mobo tray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The support beam is an alu profile with bend ends. As you can see the psu sheet also covers the gap between the pci slots and the underside of the support beam.

Then I could continue with the placement of the psu.
    [​IMG]
    Through here the psu can be slided.

[​IMG]
    On the back of the psu will be a sheet as well. The holes are already present.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A little jump ahead. The outer edge will be on the outside of the case. The inner will be attached to the outer and the psu.

[​IMG]
    Trying if it will fit outside the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Trying if it will fit inside the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And like this the sheets are placed onto the case. Twelve pictures say more then two lines of text ;)

The final finish is something I will take in later, the looks will change. The nect update I’ll work with plexi glass and aluminium when I’ll start working on the sheet work to cover the psu.

[​IMG]

4. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Update number three.

The last two updates where mostly about the rougher construction work like the mobo tray and the psu mounting. With good results I think but it was not really exiting. Therefore in this update a completely finished vent! Yes a vent ;)

In the top of the case the psu and dvd burner will be places together with their cable clutter. These parts are not the most beautiful parts there are so I will hide the top part of the case. By doing this I will create some extra space to hide some additional cables or other things. Totally closed of is not an option as the psu needs fresh air.

In the previous update I already made a support beam to attach the sheeting to. Once more the picture.

[​IMG]

The vent that I made will be placed above the motherboard. The first thing to do was to make a aluminium sheet to size.

[​IMG]
    The big sheet of alu with a the little drawn.

[​IMG]
    That is the place the vent will come.

I had an idea how the vent should look. But how the design in my head would look in real was hard to imagine. For this purpose I created a mock-up with a deep freeze pizza box with different holes in it. With this mock-up I could see what was good and what was not.

[​IMG]
    I started with this.

[​IMG]
    This was the final design.

The next step was putting the design on the aluminium sheet and the fabrication could start.

[​IMG]
    Using a figure saw.

To have a good finish I saw within the lines and filed to the lines.

[​IMG]
    This method I saw Ediejo use once and it needs an iron bar that is places precisely on the line so you can file to the iron bar. Personally I didn’t like this way of working because the iron bar is filed as well and the line is hard to see.

[​IMG]
    So I continued with this method, by eye.

[​IMG]
    In the mean time checked how it looked. At both long sides of the sheets there are three holes drilled and wire is threaded in the support beam and the upper edge of the mobo tray. These last three will be invisible.

After finishing the alu sheet besides the final finish, it was time for the next step. Plexi. With the plexiglas I wanted to accentuate the long lines of the holes in the aluminium by placing the plexi not on the inside but on the outside of the aluminium. Also I wanted to create an extra layer, an extra edge, by having a overhang of the plexi.

[​IMG]
    Derived from the measurements of the holes in the aluminium the first plexi piece is drawn. The error in the rounding on the left was discovered in time :roll:

[​IMG]
    And here again sawing within and file to the lines. The roundings were, like with the aluminium, hard to do but with patience and an new descent round file it was good to do.

[​IMG]
    To get an idea how the plexi would look like on the aluminium I placed it on top of it. Again the tape that hampers the view. But still it looks fine and I continued to make the other three pieces of plexi. A piece of race mesh was made to size to see what it does to the picture.

[​IMG]
    All four in a row. Also the holes to attach the plexi are drilled.

[​IMG]
    As well as in the aluminium.

[​IMG]
    The aluminium and the plexi (and the tape) together look like this.

The edges of the plexi where all matt after sawing and filing but that was not to be. First I sanded the edges with grid 100, 600 and 1000. Grid 100 was a lot finer than filing and the deep scratches were removed. After grid 1000 the edges where real smooth but still not clear. In plexi tutorials at bouw een pc en casejunkies they used Jif, a cleaning solution that scrubs, to polish the edges and make them clear again. It works! Also toothpaste is recommended and I want to try that sometime.
    The result are a smooth, clear edges on the outside as well on the inside of the plexi pieces. There are some small scratches left which are only visible from up really close. They should be able to remove when I sand them again.

[​IMG]
    Making a mess with Jif and a cloth.

Shiny aluminium is not my favoured material to look at. It shines to much :D
    But brushed aluminium is really nice.

[​IMG]
    The aluminium sheet brushed with grid 100 sandpaper.

[​IMG]
    Close up. There is some sanding dust present.

Then the moment came to remove all the tape and put the different parts together.

[​IMG]
    I was so happy when I saw the result for the first time without the tape.

[​IMG]
    Again with flash.

[​IMG]
    The vent from the back. I worked with nuts here because the aluminium is to thin with 1mm to make a screw thread. The mesh is now firmly attached as well, not that it is going someplace.

[​IMG]
    And this is how it looks like placed in the case. Below some more pictures from different angles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was that for this update. I hope the style has become a little more clear. Although I am not sure how the rest will look like, I make plans as I go along. The next update will take longer that these three posted in a row.

5. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

Nice start. im looking forward to this one developing

Stuart

6. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Looking really good dude, I loved the way you moved the mobo, could of been messy but you executed it rather well, good work! :thumb:

7. ssR

ssR Carbon God

you're off to a great start i'll be keeping an eye on this one

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nice work. I like the yellow. Not many people use yellow plexi.
    I hope the bend in your mock-up power supply does not affect the fit with the real one.

9. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the nice reply's. And the patients to read all these long posts :thumb:
    My goal is to keep up this level otherwise it's not worth making. For the back of the case I might make some sort of door to hide all the cables out the back. The mock-up psu was created some time ago when I used the psu itself. Back then i did'nt dare to unsolder and resolder the wires and ended up cutting the housing. With the screws back in it is a square box again.

10. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

I'm using yellow plexi :D Not in my current project log, but I will post another one very soon ;)

@ Wolff2: Good to see you here too, good luck with the project :)

11. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

i reallly dig the recessed look on the back of your case. that was a great idea. if i had that problem i most likely would have shortened the case, and not have even thought about recessing the mobo tray and psu.
    and that psu rack on top looks great.

12. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

@ 500mph
    THanx, I like to problem solve, but I usualy take the long hard way ;)

Update number 04

About time for a new update, although I didn’t do much due to Christmas, new year, family, another project and general busyness. Anyway, the update.

The plan was to start working on the hard drive holders which will come in the lower section of the case. At the end of this update that plan still has to be done, there where several things that had to be done first.
    I didn’t want to mount the hard drives to the existing floor but on a custom, somewhat raised new floor. But before I could create this new floor the side of the mobo tray needed some work.

[​IMG]
    The hole underneath the mobo tray had to disappear as well as the hole on the left which was horrible.

[​IMG]
    From a aluminium sheet I cut out a fitting piece.

[​IMG]
    Fits precisely.

The next step was to secure the aluminium. A U shaped profile did the trick.

[​IMG]
    On top of the U profile will come the new floor.

[​IMG]
    A U profile on the other side.

[​IMG]
    The new floor fits exactly (after fitting and filling)

[​IMG]
    An overview with both panels in place.

Now this is done the work on the actual hard drive mounting can start.

13. luis_pedro_Sato

luis_pedro_Sato Minimodder

Great job with the the grid near the psu.
    The case looks very nice, the hardware is just a little old.

14. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Haha yes, well that mobo is dead, one day it didn't want to go past 140 fsb anymore. Now it serves a rol as dummy together with the harddrives and dvd, it makes it really easy to see how the case looks with some hardware in it.

15. perkins teh modder

perkins teh modder What's a Dremel?

that looks awsome so far, cant wait to see it finished

16. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

great job on this mod. that vent is awesome.

17. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

woah great job, the yellow acrylic looks good. i really liking this mod stacker's are really nice i was thinking about getting one for my next computer/mod: subscribed :thumb:

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Damn, that brushed alu with the yellow plexi looks stunning!
    Great work so far! Waiting to see the floor and hole cover piece without the cover.

19. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

Many thanks. I cant wait to see it finished, but it needs some more work before that :rolleyes:
    For now the protection stays on to prevent scratches. The idea is to create the same combination with yellow plexi and brushed aluminium.

20. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

update number 5

This update is about the harddrive mounting. It took me a while due to a lack of inspiration. But now the really big, really spacy stacker will only have room for two drives :lol:
    It's not much but enough for a spacious raid array.

To eliminate some of the harddrive sounds, more specific the vibritions, I thought something up that include rubber rings. What their original purpose was I do not know but the are for sale in a homecenter (? where they sell construction materials). To mount them onto the harddrive I drilled the hole a bit and glued a standard hdd screw into it.

[​IMG]
    Orginal, drilled and glued.

[​IMG]
    And then there where eight.

[​IMG]
    Just as easy as turning a screw.

The next step was to mount the drives somewhere. The main material used is again yellow plexi that is sawn and filed and now for the foto's

[​IMG]
    The three sides where in between the drives will come.

[​IMG]
    To attach the parts togerther some holes are required.

[​IMG]
    To put some aluminium tubes in between. As you can see the tube's are expanded at the ends. This is because I made the screw thread in a little bit to small hole (4mm). These tube's are repleced with new one's that are drilled with a 4.2mm drill.

[​IMG]
    Together it looks like this.

Besides the three (actually four but one was kaput) plexi sides I made another six that are smaller. Four of these have a cut-out where the rubbers go.

[​IMG]
    This way the drive stay's put. As seen to the markings on the side, more holes will appear. Three for three more alu tubes to attacht the smaller plexi pieces and four for something else.

[​IMG]
    Thanks to a new toy drilling straight holes is a piece of cake.

[​IMG]
    All the holes are drilled. Also the cut-out's are properly visible.

After making ten alu tubes it was time to assemble.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next step was to see how it looked in the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now it is clear where the other four holes are for, waterhoses. How this will end up will come clear next time.

The harddrive cage is nearly completed. What remains is at least the mounting to the botom of the case, more to come next update.