Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

Still expect a early march 2015 launch personally. They said the flag is obtainable they just did not say how.

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Nobody told me we had to be mental to join...:D

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Where did they say that? I've watched every single video they've put out, and every news update. Nothing has been said about the Vanduul flagship.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, I think rollo might be confusing it with the Bengal

In other news, I ordered my Cyborg FLY5 today. Cost £40 from Amazon and will tide me over for now.

5. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

I have one of those. Looks great but is not very good. Mine is not broken yet, but people talks about broken buttons (pop out) and other things. Anyways, at the beginning it's too hard, you have to weaken the spring a little bit or aiming will be almost impossible.

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It's a £40 stick - at that price range they're pretty much all fragile and massively limited. Personally, I'd get the Thrustmaster for £40, but that's me.

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I LOVE the look of the mining rigs personally, the video of one landing gave me goose bumps! I may have to join the mining division on my down time to play with one :D It also manes me think, I wonder if they'll have mining carriers, say running 4 of those, as that would be quite fun group play.

Either way if you haven't seen the latest wingmans hangar, do, as the in game stuff looks amazing!

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That's why I bought it through Amazon, if it breaks within a year, no quibble refund policy.

In a year's time the game will be near to release and I'll have spent proper money on something awesome.

9. Tomisama

Tomisama the loyal fanatic

My camera is acting up (my card reader really), so had to borrow my wife’s tablet for a quick picture hoping to show more on size comparisons. Leftmost is Logitech Gamepad F310, next the X-55 Dual Throttle, and “The Stick”. On right side my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, looking rather puny. P.S. that is a 30 inch monitor in the background btw.

[​IMG]

I did get the Pedals today, and they are as massive and robust looking as the hand controls. I took a quick shot of them still in the box while I had her tablet in hand. I will try to do better with future pics, sorry about these. They really are magnificent looking and feeling controls, and I am hoping that they will perform as good as they look.

[​IMG]

Hopefully flying tomorrow :clap:

morph

10. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

I really want one now :( any chance of a vid of it in use?

11. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Excellent info banner you've put together pica.

I hope we can collect models of the ships to put in our hangar, or even better like the ones in EVE some models that we can have as physical products... I'd love to have a collection of models of a lot of the ships.

I didn't like the look of the X55 in the marketing photos, but it doesn't look too bad in your pictures Tomisama. I may have to see if I can get to a store to see one in person at some point for a proper assessment on how it looks.

I've only ordered my pedals so far.
    I won't get around to purchasing the stick & throttle until later in the year when hopefully some news on who the manufacturer for the SC one will be released, though I'll likely be getting a regular model (either the X52-Pro or Thrustmaster Warthog, depending on bills at the time).

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

$39 million hit. Here's the link to save you time. The new destroyer looks cool, but not as brimming with guns as I would have liked :p

The procedural worlds sounds really cool though!

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Bit disappointed in the destroyer as it stands. It looks too small, especially when the Idris' new 240m length is taken in to account, and that has an impact on weapons. It looks to be entirely turret based, whereas the Idris also packs that central-spine railgun for extra punch, with those modular compartments in the front/middle looking rather small and weedy.

Basically, I think it needs to be bigger, have a fixed forward facing heavy weapon mount that is integrated in to the spaceframe and more bulk in the modular compartment area. Some of the concepts where that area is totally filled in look a lot better.

EDIT: Okay, I've looked at the extra pictures in the Vault, and it's better. Size is more apparent, and it looks to be 300-400m, so bigger than the Idris in length and also significantly wider. There's also two larger turrets dorsal and ventral which may be capital ship weaponry. So, points?

+ Some of the design concepts look good
    + Seems well specified for anti-fighter activity
    + Size may well be okay
    + Offset bridge looks awesome
    + More fighter/bomber capacity than the Idris (rumoured at 4-6)
    + Big engine section should mean speed!

- No torpedoes? What kind of destroyer is this!?!
    - No big main weapon. Are the two turrets enough?
    - Some modules look distinctly dodgy

Last edited: 21 Feb 2014
  14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats what I though, seems more of a Frigate than a destroyer, so something suited to anti-fighter support than brute strength. The big turrets don't seem like enough to do serious damage, but they could be beam weapons maybe. And the dinky missile turret doesn't appear to have any reloading hatch yet. I love the look of the engines, I'd love to see one of these VTOL land!

Oh, and the Mustang looks awesome, I love how it looks, so I'll be grabbing one of those when I can!

Last edited: 22 Feb 2014
  15. asura

asura jack of all trades

Mostly agreed on all points - however I don't want it to become a do-everything ship, No torpedoes, presumably it's role is to take out missile/torpedo boats, the two turrets are enough, we don't want it going toe-to-toe with the next size up unless in groups of 4(?) but yea, the modules don't look great, though I'm sure it'll get ironed out.

I think CR is ducking back in time a bit (as he's said WWII in space, we can only assume that cap-ships will be navy equivalent and he's taking it very literately) and destroyers were smaller and lighter (in weight and armament) than they are today and engaged at shorter ranges. Smeg loads of medium turrets, to take out medium bombers, some smaller turrets and a couple of fighters to keep enemy interceptors at bay and a couple of bigger guns to dissuade ships of a similar size, or to nibble away on larger ships when in larger groups and at closer range...

16. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

The Mustang looks awesome :)
    That'll be another $5-10 :)

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah, but the big thing about WWII destroyers was their torpedo armament that was their sole hitting power against capital ships. We shall see though - that ?18 rack missile launcher may do the job.

I've also watch TNGS and looked at the Mustang concept art, and it looks interesting. Different role to the Aurora in a way - much more of a combat ship than cargo. I'll probably pick one up as long as they're not stupidly expensive (ie: they should cost the same as an Aurora). Saying that, I can't see myself using my entry ships that much really, which is why I melted all by my Aurora LX (I had an LN and a base Aurora at one stage).

Also, it got updated with the Javelin and the new Idris size:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Feb 2014
  18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

SC Forum chatter is that Aurora -> Mustang will be a no-cost option.

19. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Well that makes that whole thing even sweeter :D

Having looked at it again this morning, I'm 100% on board.
    It looks better than the Aurora, and it just looks faster too :)
    I wonder if it's equippable as a stealther..... ¬¬

Also, first time I saw that scale thing with the King Ship up top, I had one thought.

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

:D

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Running capital ships is going to be a very very expensive business, both in terms of the initial cost of the ship, ongoing maintenance and also in manpower. The Idris is crewed by around 10 people, plus fighter pilots. The new destroyer, by extension, must be around twenty to thirty? Things like cruisers are going to be pushing 100.

This means we either have to rely on NPC gunners a lot (boooo!), or we need a lot more members of BitSec! As it stands, I reckon if we were all online at once, we could just about run a pair of destroyers :/