1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Trek Online

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by UrbanMarine, 11 Jan 2010.

1. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

Well I finished the Beta. (End event getting slaughtered by the Borg was an excellent way to end a Beta imo, and I took some devs out muhahha)

I did pre-order, but will play it 3-6 months to see what happens before truly commiting.

I finished up with a 22 Fed and a 10 Klingon.

It's a good enough game and does have some potential, but it also has some fairly serious flaws imo.

Tutorial is poor.

Ground combat still sucks monkey balls.

Space combat is fun. Still by miles best part of the game.

"Crafting" ~ if you can seriously call it that ~ sucks gonads.

Chat system sucks.

Grouping up with people, apart from Fleet actions, is pointless, and still not intuitive anyway. Auto group for the few times you need one does the job.

Missions (or Episodes as they are called) vary from totally boring and repetitive, to some really rather good ones that are interesting enough and have a decent enough story. The higher you get the more interesting they become.

Ships as you get higher simply improve. Matter of fact game becomes vastly more interesting after you get your first ship upgrade.

Ship modification and customization works well.

Levelling up is pretty easy. It doesn't get harder or that much slower as you get higher either.

Klingons are almost totally unfinished. You can PvP with them and that's about it.

PvP is pretty boring really. There is not much scope for any meaningful strategy, you simply hope your team has the sense to target the same guy and take him out quick then move onto the next one. The team that does this better and most efficient will win. Feds currently have an advantage, despite the cloak ability of Klingons, because of all the extra gear Feds get from PvE missions. Anyone who has played a lot of PvP games will see this almost instantly. Gear matters very little though in truth, when your targetted by 5+ enemies. If that happens your dead.

Klingons level up quickly. No real queues to get into PvP because of the massive numbers of Feds, but really that is about all you can do as a Klingon. Join a PvP queue, win or lose, rinse & repeat.

Too much pew pew, not enough exploration. Exploration consists of going to a zone, scanning a random pop up anomiley, and you either get resources, or go on a mission. The missions are the boring repetitive type, usually involving even more pew pew. Do that 3 times and you get your exploration badges. Rinse repeat.

Bugs. Yup plenty still there.

BO training/skillups is overly confusing. Once you figure it out and how it works it does get interesting.

Server stability/log in issues. Vastly improved. During the madness of the Beta end event I experienced virtually no lag, and let me tell you it truly was nuts.

I think overall, with all the above being said, the amount of updates the Dev team pumped out during beta was impressive, and they did actually make a large difference to the game. Thinking back to what it was like in closed beta, it has improved dramatically.

For me it is borderline whether or not you can even call it an MMO, as interaction between players is certainly not required and minimal. You get more interaction with the Klingons in PvP than you do with your own side.

They say there will be a really big update after 45 days of live. I suspect that will be all the stuff they wanted to get in before it went live, but obviously Atari put pressure on to get it out asap. So I will give it at least 3 months and see what happens. If they continue to improve the game at anywhere near the rate they did from CB to end of OB, they will do well and could actually make this a long term game to play, provided you don't want anything too in-depth and something you can dive into and out of without any worries.

I would say treat it much like a single player game that can improve continually and should have regular updates, and any interaction you get from others is a bonus, with a bit of simple PvP thrown on top. It is very much targetted at the casual player, and very much what I would call a beginner MMO. I think it is aimed at a similar sort of market to WOW. In truth, WOW is probably more complex.

I would definitley not recommend the lifetime sub or even the 12month sub, but I would say to give it a go for a couple of months and see what happens.

Cheers.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2010
  2. roblikesbeer

roblikesbeer Bindi's sex slave.

Yeah, I'm only to go month by month at the moment but there's a lot of promise there.

The head start is now live :rock:

3. roblikesbeer

Bumped as the game is now available in the EU.

Anyone else got this then? First impressions?

4. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I like it. There's a lot more stuff that needs to be added and refined, but 10 days in and it's enjoyable enough.

The only other mmo I've tried before was EVE. The two games are totally different and can't really be compared. TBH, I prefer ST:O, the casual nature and ability to actually fly your ship during combat is refreshing, especially during fleet actions.

Also, if you log into the ST:O site and enter JIH MUSHA SOH into the redeem your key bit, you'll unlock the red and cream Wrath of Kahn uniform. It's common knowledge, but just in case anyone missed it. Incidentally, it roughly translates from Klingon as "I love you."

5. roblikesbeer

6. Enemyvirus

Enemyvirus CPC Refugee

I've played a few MMO's in my time, WoW, Warhammer, Champions Online. I have had a City of Heroes account for 4 years. Not been playing it much recently though. I may give it a go, if I convince myself to spend the money. What are the monthy fees?

7. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Prices are listed here.

I won't be able to pick it up again until the middle of next week as I'm away for a bit. Hopefully the uniforms will be fixed by the time I get back.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2010