Windows Star Wars - The Old Republic Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Fizzban, 24 Sep 2011.

1. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

If you want a lot of content, then don't play an MMO at release. I know that sounds off, but it takes them time to get out a lot of content. It's taken them 5 years hard work to release this much. Expecting more at launch is wishful thinking at best, and naive at worst. Everyone bangs on about a certain game over and over, but they have had years to get to where they are. Give em a chance, honestly.

And for what it's worth, I tried that other game and it was utter garbage. This at least has potential.

2. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

I am giving them a chance, I'll be coming back in a few months probably, and see where it's at then.

The thing that bugs me the most is the combat delay, and since I love to PvP, it just ruins it for me. It's not fun pressing your button and then having to wait 1-4seconds to see if it actually goes off and does damage, or casts twice, or starts to cast/channel and then does no damage/healing. Also where the server doesn't register you as behind another player, playing as an Agent/Smuggler means this is very annoying, since one of your main attacks requires you to be behind them. You can run circles round people who have been stunned/knocked down, and you just get the error message.

Once they iron out the current issues and hopefully add proper functioning for UK keyboard layout, it will be alot more fun.

3. Fizzban

Hmm those pvp issues are fair. I've noticed some skills wind up twice before they go off, and some don't work all the time. It is annoying. Sadly a freshly released mmo is little better than a beta build. The sheer number of players quickly makes problems, faults, bugs and imbalances glaringly obvious..even when they weren't in actual beta. And fixing them is often not at all simple. I just hope enough players stick it out, so that this game continues to fulfill its potential.

4. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

No patch today anymore, BW have postponed the update as it apparently needs more testing.

5. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Patch 1.1 came out yesterday..

6. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

7. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Haven't played in a few days. Seems unfortunate that Ilum is in the state it is. From what I have read it is Wintergrasp all over. Perhaps a player cap for the zone? If not enough Republic players are in the zone then the objectives don't become available? I am not level 50 yet so I don't exactly how Ilum works. Not sure how Bioware can fix an issue like that with an open pvp zone when the ratio is the problem. Can't make people roll one faction or another.

8. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Was this after the hotfix? Or just the 1.1 patch.

They noted there were issues after the patch with Ilum and were hotfixing this morning.

9. angel_dust

angel_dust What's a Dremel?

Hi all

I've been a Sith Marauder for 2 nights now and I'm just wondering where do I get my second (Off hand ) Light Saber?
    Do I just keep killing npc's until they dorp one???:confused:

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Not yet looked into this game in any depth. My wife is obsessed, but to me, it's just WoW... the Star Wars version. Is that a fair analysis?

11. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

You got a bag when you picked your advance class, look in your inventory, should be called Marauder's something or other. :p

Pretty much yes, every MMO that goes with the traditional model just ends up the same as the others, SWToR has VO for all the quests though, so instead of just clicking on an NPC and not reading the text, you have to listen to them tell you what to do, although you can spare bar to skip it.

Other than that they've added some nice features onto existing things like the crafting system, aswell as dropped some stuff that would be useful, like LFG tools and cross server warzones.

I'm struggling to pick an MMO to play now, SWToR was ruined for me with the latest patch, so I'm currently playing Rift and WoW again. Though I may sub SWToR again in the future to see how things have changed.

It's a good game, but I don't think the devs really know what their doing sometimes, they don't listen to or reply to the community at all really. Though the big dog Blizzard and WoW, have something to worry about with two other AAA MMO's out there now.

12. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I guess?

Story plays a much more prominent role, with each class having access to what's effectively a massive quest chain from Level 1-50.

There's also the Mass Effect style Voice Acting and Conversation Wheel.

But under the hood, i guess you could say it's very stereotypical MMO.

---

Back to the topic at hand, haven't played for quite a while despite apparently having renewed for 6 months :S.

But then again, i'm waiting for a friend to get back from holiday and we'll go roll Republic together ;D.

13. angel_dust

angel_dust What's a Dremel?

Doh
    I cant find it. I must have sold the thing without looking.:wallbash:

14. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Go to any vendor and buy it back.

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Been considering this. Got two questions:

1) I loved Anarchy Online back in the olden days, how much similarity does this bear to that?

2) How much is this going to destroy what little free time I have?

16. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Very little. It's a lot more action and story oriented than AO is. The combat is closer to WoW than AO and there's minimal twinking (well, everything seems to have level or light/darkside reqs)

slightly offtopic: you should totally try out AO again, it's had a LOT of new features added (depending on when you last played) and the froob program is probably one of the best F2Ps around.

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I was a froob back in early 06. Figured it'd be so ancient as to be not that worth playing these days.

18. Fizzban

It is an MMO...it will eat ALL your time given half a chance.

19. wodgah

wodgah What's a Dremel?

I was super excited for this game before it came out for a long time , and i have to say im a little disappointed theres nothing wrong with it , but it feels like its missing something to make it extra special to me. Plenty will love it and im sure it will get better , but it feels like it fell short of my expectations.

20. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Well, with lotro pretty much starting to die i've been bullied into this and i'm actually quite impressed. The story elements are great and the flashpoint are fantastic fun (especially with 2 of you when one is being all nicey light side and the other nasty dark side, the results can be hilarious). I've even found the PvP to be good fun with a game of Huttball :)