Steam Steam for Linux

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by will_123, 20 Feb 2013.

1. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Thought i would open a new thread now its out in the wild.

What everyones thoughts on it just now. It seems relatively stable, had some crashes but nothing that wouldn't happen on the mac client. Windows one is superior but that to be expected just now. Im using Kubuntu to play it, and have had some errors related to Gtk+ framework. Its just background noise if i launch from the terminal, doesn't actually seem to affect the application. But think thats because im running it on KDE.

I just hope the source games keep coming to it! DOTA and CS:GO could make me jump over completely. I started following a sub reddit for Linux gaming and there are games news coming daily, looks really promising for fans of the penguin. Wargame : European Escalation apparently is in beta just now for Linux, another one to look forward to!

2. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I don't know if this is still relevant as it was in the beta, but I found that Steam actually ran better on an XFCE desktop than a Unity desktop for me. Seems a bit strange given the way Valve is working with Canonical, who ship Unity by default.

3. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Haven’t tried XFCE in a while. And I avoid unity at all costs, its equally as bad as metro in my opinion. But yes that is weird, would think Unity would be the most optimised.

4. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I'm interested in this, but not much of Linux user and don't have any of the games. :(

Re: GUI support
    Is it known what sort of arrangement was made, 'cause it would make sense to me that Valve would specify something about it being made as widely supportable first, then focusing.

And could Canonical become the support provider for OpenGL? It is something that is sorley needed for Valve to attract dev's to Tux-side.

5. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

We can only assume that Canonical are pushing Unity compatibility with Steam above all else, so as to advance their choice of desktop environment. However it seems that other desktop environments (like XFCE in my case) actually perform better - something that will likely change as Steam is developed more and more.

OpenGL support is done at the driver level, since the API interfaces directly with the graphics hardware. Thus, Canonical cannot become a support provider, since they do not have access to the low-level routines that AMD and Nvidia use. There is an open-source OpenGL implementation, Mesa, but it only supports OpenGL 3 at the moment, so it isn't particularly suitable for modern hardware-accelerated graphics.