News Steam Play brings Windows games to Linux

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 22 Aug 2018.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'd argue that Valve would love to get Linux off the ground for the majority of games - It's free, and SteamOS is fairly plug & play, which would also restrict people more into their Ecosystem (Origin & UPlay do not play ball at all on Linux, as far as I am aware, and GOG is currently win-only)

For it to really work; A team of very talented people will have to find a way to make Linux completely Idiotproof - Ubuntu (And variants) are a good step, but there still comes a point where all troubleshooting boils down to "Open Terminal and get typing" which the average user cannot be expected to handle, nor are capable of reasonably doing.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean, it ain't alone there. Start Menu not working? Open PowerShell. Microsoft Edge not working? Install Firefox Reinstall through PowerShell. Action Centre not working? Type in this weird run command with percentage signs in it and fiddle with some files, and when that doesn't work open PowerShell. Need to re-register the Windows Store? Guess what you're going to be running? PowerShell!

Apple's no better, either. Having network problems? Open the Terminal...

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Gog is not win only, sure the software may be, but its the only one where you can access your games without installing a software client, so games that work on Linux and Mac (like for example Pillars of Eternity II) still work on Linux and Mac regardless of what OS the gog client is compatible with.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Install Linux? Open Powershell!

[Last I checked, MS' official instructions for installing WSL involve turning it on using powershell]

Tags: Add Tags