1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SteelSeries Xai Gaming Mouse Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Mar 2010.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

You can always try to mill your own Mouse shells..

2. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't buy anything made by steelseries.

Not worth the money.
    My Steelseries keyboard was expensive, and is in fact a POS.
    The "L" key went for days last week...and then just came back....

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Which board? Steelseries makes a whole bunch of them.

I use an Ikari Optical, and I think the tracking and shape are phenomenal.

4. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

I tried a few of the 'high performance' mouses like razor etc back in the shop, those things are friggin small. I can't fit my hand around one for 1 minute without it becoming painful. I support bigger mouses, for men that don't have tiny hands. =/

This mouse seems to be fitting the bill, and the review says it feels good too. o_O I'm not quite sure why the uber-high specs though, I was gaming fine with an old intellimouse. (Except they break easily after a year of use.)

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

If you've got big hands, try the Ikaris (optical or laser) - they're PERFECT. I have the same problem as you - tried the MX518 (old and new), G5 (old and new), G500, Steelseries Kinzu, Razer DeathAdder, Mamba and Lachesis - none of them suited my hand as well as the Ikari.

6. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

I'm using a Trust Predator right now, does the job. :)

7. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

The Razer Boomslang 2007 Collector's Edition had plastic & titanium - if you could find one in your area, get past the price, & like the really low shape.

8. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

sorry but thats a bit expensive for a mouse (I have a wired intellimouse - though I had a logitec wireless sometime back which was nicer but the battery deal even with hot swap was to much)

and this is from someone with a steelseries 7 (which wasn't that expensive compared to other mechanical keyboards)

9. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Thanks for the link, I remember when Razer launched that one (not the original, I'm not that old :p) but never knew what it was made of.

10. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

No.

Needs to be over 4000dpi, have on the fly dpi adjustment (useful for sniping and Photoshop) with at least two thumb buttons (one mapped to toggle the mic.) I have six mice wired up here, Razer Mamba, Logitech G7, wired and wireless Microsot mice and a couple of bog standard Genius mice. You can tell the difference between them.

11. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

it looks a bit like deathAdder i've got :)

12. Astatine

Astatine What's a Dremel?

I tried buying one of these recently (wanting to replace my faithful but ageing Razer Copperhead) and had an interesting enough experience with it that I figured I'd comment :)

As far as I can tell, this mouse is no good without a super-expensive, scrupulously clean mouse mat. Now I don't use a mat at all, because they're all too gigantic -- the desk arrangement I find comfortable leaves me with only about 15 cm x 15 cm within which to move the mouse, and that's cool, because I like to use max sensitivity and mouse on an area the size of a couple of postage stamps. However, when set to anything above about 1500 dpi, the Xai gave me unusable amounts of jitter when mousing on the tabletop, which only went away when I dragged all the predictive cleverness settings in the driver all the way to the right (at which point the pointer was just blatantly not going to the places I was trying to put it in because the mouse was "correcting" for me so much).

I tried a couple of the random mats I have lying around (cheap ones) and it tracked better, but there was still way too much jitter. Maybe I have shaky hands; I'm not exactly an FPS pro, I play RPGs and MMOs, although I can hit a headshot in UT3 once in a while...

But I never noticed any of those problems with the Copperhead, so back went the Xai and I bought a Razer Imperator instead, which, lo and behold, turns out to track perfectly on the same tabletop even at 5600dpi. It's blingier and more comfortable, too.

So in case anyone else here is a tabletop mouser and is considering a Xai -- don't.

Tags: Add Tags