1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steve Jobs dies aged 56

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Oct 2011.

1. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

I am with you buddy, but yes you expected too much.

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

How about that I can relate to what he says about finding something you love doing & dropping education :lol:, he got onto what he loved doing early I got onto something I love at an age when he just got fired from apple :lol:. Glad he did get fired from his own company :lol: otherwise pixar animations might never have come about & some of those movies have been some of the best from the west for some time imo, had no idea he created pixar wow :D.

100% Awesome speech in the video RIP Steve, did some kickass things in his life as well as raise a family, in my books thats an awesome dude & an awesome inspiration to others :) plus he was a big cheese who wore jeans & trainers instead of uptight mega expensive suits :rock::D.

I've never owned an apple product & have no plans to but heaps love the brand & has made a haaauuuuuuge impact in the tech world but I've got a good few pixar animations :D, awesome modern innovator & a good line from presobama :).

I'll always say it the big C is a mofo & the worlds biggest mass murderer that needs a serious can of whoopass unleashing on it, lost 2 loved ones this year from it & hear all the time of people getting it :( it's shocking, sad & quite scary how it turns vibrant full of life people weak so fast.

I respect anything & everything as long as it doesn't step on toes badly, sure many die from C but this guy was an innovator in tech land & this is a tech site, I don't understand why people being weird about this, not like he was some irritating celebrity who did jack sheet, he was someone who made some awesome stuff happen even if I do find when people refer to an mp3 player as an ipod as if it was the only mp3 player ever created just a little irritating :D but nonetheless that speaks huge volumes of just how successful he made apples products :rock:.

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Me too :).

Trolls get everywhere though even on awesome sites like this :(.

4. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Good god, a decent post in this thread.

Beautiful mate. Respect.

5. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

From what I've seen of the conditions those Chinese workers have to suffer to make Apple products I can honestly say I'm glad he's dead and, though I'm not a religious man, I do hope that, if there's an afterlife of some kind, he spends it with a pitchfork up his bum.

Seriously guys I don't give a crap how swanky your phones are. The guy knowingly, deliberately, employed slave labour. That should be unforgivable in the eyes of anybody with a decent level of respect for human life.

Honestly I find it disgusting and embarrassing that anybody can have anything positive to say about a man who was happy to see such cruelty inflicted just to increase his profit margins (because you can bet Apple never passed a saving onto the consumer in their history). With the profile Apple had they could have changed the rules, run a factory with some standards, some ethics, with good conditions. But no, work those poor unfortunates like dogs and pocket the difference.

I wonder if, as a Buddhist, he appreciated the apparent karma of his slow, lingering demise.

6. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Oh god...pure ignorance at it's worst.

7. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

Again many of you missed the point. I didn't say I don't buy a product just because some part of the production is unethical. I merely try to buy the product which is produced by companies with better ethical reputations. Most electronics will have components sourced from horrific factories but is it better to buy the product which is has a larger number of unethically produced components or one with less? Big companies like Apple, Sony, Gigabyte etc which have questionable ethics should, feel they have a social responsibility yet many of them are too profit driven to care.

I try to limit my consumerism and where possible buy fairtrade foods. I'll pay more for a product if I know that it's more ethically produced.

I'm sure most people who use this internet forum are in the Top 10% globally in terms of quality of living index, we are conditioned to consume and believe that material possestions are linked to status and happiness.

Much of my dislike for unethical means of production stem from my years living in Abu Dhabi, where many Asian workers were maltreated and underpaid.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It is indeed a pity that he did not use the powerful position of his company to set a good example, just as it is a pity he hid a $5000,-- bonus from his early business partner Wozniak, and refused to recognise his daughter born out of wedlock for the first two years of her life. The guy was not a saint. But who is?

Bill Gates invented the EULA. It is said that when the devil first came across a Windows licence agreement, he sent a copy down to that department in Hell that deals with the selling of souls with a post-it attached saying: "Learn, guys". And every other company that you have a casual consumer relationship with engages in practices like patent trolling, maximising profit margins (which are not as big as you'd think, by the way), exploiting developing countries and generally selling crap to the consumer, crippled by economic rather than design considerations and proprietary closed formats to shut out competitors.

Fact is: they are all at it. And it's driven by the share holders: ordinary folk like yourself. If Jobs had decided to be more ethical about his practices, you can bet that shareholders would have pulled out faster than a bloke who's just been told by his girl that come to think of it, she forgot to take the pill.

So sorry, but your disapproval of Jobs is just a token act of morality. Living a virtuous life has a lot more to do with your own actions than those of others. If Jobs deserved cancer, than what does Bush Jr. deserve? Or Tony Blair? Or the CEO of BAE or Coca Cola or Tesco? Or Walt Disney? Or Richard Branson? Or all their millions of shareholders, from wealthy speculators to that nice retired couple that tries to provide for their old age? The list could go on.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I applaud your principles, or more precisely, that you actually act on them. That's good. Don't buy Apple products if its practices offend you. But don't go around wishing ill on strangers because you think they could have behaved better. Watch your own actions-- they are the ones you are responsible for.

10. Mighty Yoshimi

In summary, I don't hate Apple, It's just Apple has never produced a product that's been the most fit for my purposes.

Sadly capitalism causes exploitation more often than not, thinking about it it's not necessarily Steve Job's doing it's the shareholders that demand more and more capital.

This sums it up really

http://anticap.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/ed4a754f.png

11. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Are you off your high horse now? Can you please now name one manufacturer that you believe is ethical and to whom you source products from (after all you have stated this is what you have done), It is the least you could do since you pissed on a thread about the passing of Steve jobs using this
    as your reason.

Or are you man enough to admit that you really don't give a sh!t about these chinese workers and just buy whatever suits you or whatever you can afford, and that you just used the Foxconn workers as an excuse to be disrespectful to Steve Jobs and Apple?

You keep dodging the question, is this because you are talking BS and do not have an answer?

12. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Glad to see some people are being level headed about this. I have to say I was totally apathetic on hearing the news. He wasn't family and he wasn't a friend. Yes it sucks when someone dies but there is no reason why 1 man should get more attention than the thousands that die around the world every day - most, entirely preventable if companies like his put some money in the right places. I'm no hippy but I think it's ridiculous.

And I could not supress a chuckle at Pirates little comment, it was definitely on the ball. The trolling that followed after was pushing it though! :p

13. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Oh bit tech is the worst place of all, make no mistake. You should look up the michael jackson thread. They ripped that guy to shreds while the body was still warm. The moderators obviously thrive off jokes about dead people. As long as they are tasteful of course.... yep. Tasteful jokes about a guy that just died of cancer in his 50's.

14. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Nexxo, why mention Bill Gates in such tone in this thread? and you're a moderator here, so you should know better.

15. Mighty Yoshimi

You're quite hostile aren't you? You're still missing the point. I didn't say there was a particullar company that is entirely ethical did I? I merely stated that there are some companies that are more ethical than others.

I'll give you an anology seeing as you seem to be struggling with this concept. Jack and Gill both own cars, Jacks car is a 4X4 with a 4.8 litre engine in the highest tax band. Gills Car is a VW Bluemotion in the lowest (or no) tax bracket. Which one is better for the enviroment?

My computer is made by Asus & Intel & Western digital. My RAM is G.Skill. Everything bar my graphics card is nearly 6 years old inside my computer. I have a HTC Desire mobile phone which I'll run into the ground before I upgrade. I buy clothes at either Next, Austin Reed, M&S which are all praised for being amoung the MOST ethical in the UK.

I don't drive, I take public transport everywhere. I try where possible to consume fair trade foods.

I already told you I use Ethical Consumer to make my purchase choices. I'm subscribed. If there's a report that isn't up to date a quick google usually reveals the best and the worst in that given field.

Perhaps we should start another thread with regards to this?

16. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

No need.

You have confirmed that you are indeed a hypocrite.

Is HTC more ethical than apple?

17. Snips

He's already answered your out of topic question already, so leave him alone.

18. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I know, read my previous post. I finished with a rhetorical question, I don't need to hear from the hypocrite again.

19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

but no one will leave Apple alone for doing exactly the same as every other company: make profit.

this is the kind of thing that disgust me. people who have no idea talking like this. Foxconn is by far better place to work than many other factories over there.

20. Snips

Again, it's going off topic.

Are there really no moderators here to put an end to this topic?

Tags: Add Tags