1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Strange start-up problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by haddow64, 8 Mar 2011.

1. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

Ok, so recently a strange startup problem has appeared out of the blue and is causing me some issues. Now I'm pretty sure its the power supply, but then also wondering if it could be the mobo?

Whenever I boot my computer up the fans will spin up the hard disks will spin up as well but I no further unless I have remembered to physically unplug (or switch off at the power supply) at least 1hr before I attempt to start it back up.

I have never encountered a problem like this, is there anything I can do to test it?

2. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

If you can find another psu, then test it with that.

This sounds like a cmos battery issue to me. Is it the rig in your signature? If not, how old is your motherboard?

Apophis54 likes this.
  3. Palmski

Palmski What's a Dremel?

I had something similar http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=203355 although not quite as severe - I could just unplug for 10 seconds and restart, plus I had other symptoms which you aren't seeing related to my boot disk not being detected.

However somewhat bizarrely mine seems to have been solved by reinstalling Windows. I still don't know what the cause was. Not much help I know but you never know it might be worth trying as a last resort.