Other Stress testing hardware?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aLtikal, 20 Sep 2010.

1. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Ok so I'm going to be building a PC soon, and I'll need to stress test it as it needs to be very stable as It's going to be used in an office environment and any crashes could mean alot of lost work.

Each part can be error checked so please add & advise what can be done to check the hardware peice is working correctly.

PSU :
    I have an Antec power supply tester.

CPU:
    Prime 95 for 8hours minimum.

RAM:
    Memtest 86+ overnight.

SSD Corsair F100 60gb:
    No Idea...

HDD: Spinpoint F3
    Drive error checking software but whats good these days?? Something more in depth than windows error checking would be needed surly?

Motherboard:
    Would be blatantly obvious if it was faulty i think...

Anything Ive missed?

2. aLtikal

Ill add, I'm not overclocking it. Speeds are stock. But before i hand over the PC i need to know its stable etc :)

3. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

If data integrity is so important then stress testing is not the answer - redundant hardware (e.g. 2 Spinpoint disks in a RAID 1 array) and a strict backup regime are. Most problems tend to come from software (malware, problem drivers, conflicts) than hardware, so locking down the configuration (e.g. using AppLocker or third party security software that can control what is run) may be more beneficial in the long term.

4. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I would save yourself a headache and do a burn in for about 2 hours and then offer a one year labor warranty. I did that on 7+ computers I built for a law firm. I ended up having to go back in and replace PSU fans, but I told them if they left them on all the time things would fail faster. And yes, a redundant backup would be ideal unless they have something in place for data. I explicitly tell them all warranties on parts are through their respective manufacturers, as doing it any other way is impractical for an individual to handle.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2010
  5. aLtikal

he hasn't got to worry about his files too much as there auto backed up on dropbox, and a daily acronis backup. The only concern is random crashing caused by dodgy hardware which ill need to check for.
    Is there Nothing released currently that checks SSD drives like a HDD ? Separate do Stools but u need 1 hard drive by separate for it to work.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

OCCT would be my choice of stress-testing program, that always used to be the go-to for checking if your overclock was absolutely stable.

For hard drives I'd have a look at something on either UBCD or Hiren's Boot CD, there must be something on there. :)

7. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Hi if you have a graphics card then you need to run 3dmark vantage.
    If you run this at the same time as prime 95 this will also give you a max load test for the PSU.
    Whilst you do this run GPUZ and Core Temp to keep an eye on temps

8. aLtikal

Would 3d mark vantage stress test an integrated gpu in a core i3 530 ?

Good suggestion on hirens boot cd. Thanks fella .

9. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

Yes i think so, although wouldn't score very high :=)