Motherboards Strix X470i M.2 confusion

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Arboreal, 10 Dec 2022.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

First off, I would like to say that I am absolutely lost as to what UEFI Secure Boot and CMS stuffs do, and get lost on the options but have managed so far with what kit own to have Win 10 installs that run OK.

I bought a used Strix X470i recently and would liek to used dual M.2 drives like I do on my Strix H370i board.
    IIRC the arrangement is the same on both boards, the top slot is NVMe (PCIe) and SATA with the second slot on the reverse NVMe only.

I cannot for the life of me get the board to see a drive on the rear slot. I'm running Win 11 on an 240GB NVMe in the top slot, but It doesn't even see the same drive in the BIOS or Windows.

It booted Win 10 from another PC on a SATA M.2 in the top slot this morning.

I've downloaded the manual to look, but I cannot see an explicit setting to switch the slot on or off individually.

Help gratefully received...

**EDIT**

The manual is way clearer than the product page on the Asus site...

AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processor** - 1 x M.2_1 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242 / 2260 / 2280 (PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support

** The M.2_2 slot is not supported for these CPUs.

OK, so I need to fit the R7 2700 and grab a GPU then the lower M.2 slot should work

Last edited: 10 Dec 2022
  2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Ah, it's a CPU IO problem, rather than the motherboard's fault. Annoying when things like that happen.

Arboreal likes this.
  3. Arboreal

I hope so Andy, It's now running the R7 2700 and a GTX 970, getting GPU drivers right now.
    Once it's running I'll swap the drive over, fingers crossed it'll work.

It's disappointing to find that a compact APU build won't support dual M.2s as the space saved without SATA power & data cables is not inconsiderable

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

**tut-tutting quietly from a distance**

:lol:

Arboreal likes this.
  5. Arboreal

I thought you might be getting X470i dual M.2 flashbacks from that!

I now have a working dual M.2 system with both slots populated and functional.

If I wanted I could dual boot Win 10 and 11, but need the space, so will wipe the 2nd drive.

In other news, the lovely CM SK622 60% bluetooth mech board is paired with one PC and a second in a bit when I fire it up. It's very handy to be able to juggle peripherals like that.