Student Contents Insurance?

Discussion in 'General' started by K, 12 Jan 2008.

1. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

It's all about steel grid doors and iron bar windows. Let's see anyone steal my things!

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

M&S and Hiscox both are very easy going where expensive items are concerned.

3. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

endsleigh are the people all the unis recomend i belive so go with them as i am with them and seems fine to me

4. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

so your posting from prison huh

5. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I would find it difficult to believe that anyone on my floor has more than £3k worth in their rooms. But then again term time is so short here, people can afford to leave a lot of their stuff at home.

I see what you did there :D

6. padair

padair Inebriated

The reason Uni's etc. recommend Endsleigh is that they were originally owned by the NUS. The NUS sold their remaining shares last year. Check out other Insurers - you should be able to get a better quote as I've never had a quote from Endsleigh that was close to what I finally bought.

My contents insurance is £134 for £30000, with accidental damage etc, then again I'm not a student so you can't make a direct comparison.

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Hence why I said anyone that doesn't live with their parents ;)

8. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

I havent checked every reply in this post but i went with Endsleigh for four years at uni. covering approx 5k of goods for about £89 including ipod and mobile cover too. The thing with Endsleigh was that they are one of the few companies that cover you for walk in robberies. Normal insurance companies will require prove of forced entry, confirmed by authorities and their consultant before they pay out. Ends. understand that students may live with more than one person (typically 4-5) so if your housemate wonders out for a beer and doesnt shut the front door and you all get robbed, Endsleigh will cover you for the break in where normal insurance policies will laugh at your and tell you to feck off.

Something definitely worth checking, i wouldnt have student insurance without the walk in cover, as on several occasions windows and doors have been open/unlucked for 10 hrs without anyone being there or noticing (dozy housemates, not me), make that call and find out, you pay for what you have to for the piece of mind it provides.

peace

9. Major

Major Guest

I'll ask my mate who he is with.

Got about £5k of stuff stolen from his shared house, laptop, bike, xbox, the lot.

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It adds up quick, doesn't it? I'm often carrying $5000 worth of gear on me, which I know is about 17GBP at the current exchange rates but still... that doesn't even count what's at home.