1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Surface RT sales picking up following discount

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Aug 2013.

1. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

WalMart damn near invented JIT inventory management - I'm guessing they have a bit better handle on it than you.

(Mind, I'm not defending WalMart - they're one of the worst things to have happened to the US economy, squeezing pay down to the bare minimum and playing hardball with suppliers 'til they're almost out of business [Rubbermaid]).

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

So what's your point then? What are you arguing? That Wal-Mart arguably one of the biggest retailers in the world doesn't know what it is doing?

I think it is you that is confusing your anti-Microsoft bias with every press release from Microsoft as a sinister conspiracy that must be unmasked at all costs ;)

The facts are simple, Microsoft lowered the price of their product and they've started to sell out in places. However, a definite uptrend in sales has occurred since the discount. I've witnessed that fact first hand.

Anything else?

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm not the one arguing, you are. Even when faced with facts you attempt accuse people of "anti-Microsoft bias". Just because you happen to witness a retailer who is known for problems with getting stock onto the shelves, and a pro Surface RT site reports that Microsoft stores say there has been a increase in sales since the price cut.

Instead you prefer to accuse people of "not want this device to succeed", and claiming people are calling you a liar, or how they are anti-Microsoft and are seeing sinister conspiracy's. If you bothered to learn a little about Microsoft's history you would see they are not the paragon of all that is good as you like to make out.

4. Snips

remind me again about the facts you think I've missed about this topic?

I know Microsoft's history just fine thank you and it's not the harbinger of death either as you like to make out.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The information has already been provided if you CBA to read things and instead insist on making wild accusations at other forum users that's up to you, but don't expect to be taken seriously.
    :read::wallbash:

Last edited: 13 Aug 2013
  6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Guys, chill.

Basically we have anecdotal reports from 20 stores and a personal observation that a 30% price drop has increased sales of the Surface RT considerably. Seems plausible. Plenty of people have commented on forums that they liked it, but that it was overpriced.

I gather that Microsoft's write-down is taking into account the profit loss incurred by the price drop (or simply, units unsold at that point in time). That has nothing to do with any change in sales figures since the price drop and since the write-down was made. In short, the latter has no relationship to the former. Both can be true at the same time.

7. Snips

Exactly Nexxo, it also has nothing to do with cries of conspiracy completely unrelated to this topic either. However, somehow I'm wrong and Microsoft are evil!!!!!!!

Oh and I want to be taken seriously please, regardless of whether I present related facts to this topic or not ;)

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Then why did you start to throw accusations around such as the following...
    It is you who claim others are wrong, even when they provide you with facts.

At no point have i said you are wrong, at no point have a claimed you are lying, at no point have i said Microsoft are evil, instead of discussing the subject using facts you prefer to throw accusations around at anyone who happens to disagree with you.

If you want to be taken seriously maybe you should stop behaving like a prepubescent teen spuriously accusing other people, actually try presenting some facts. Instead of trying to proclaim your own personal experience of a local Walmart store accounts as a fact.

EDIT: Microsoft Sued for Lying About Surface RT Sales

Here are a few excerpts from the lawsuit papers submitted to the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts:

“Defendants issued materially false and misleading statements regarding the Company’s financial performance and its tablet computer, the Surface RT. Specifically, defendants misrepresented and failed to make public the following adverse facts:

(i) that the Company’s Surface RT product was experiencing poor customer demand and lackluster sales;

(ii) that the Company’s Surface RT inventory experienced a material decline in value during the quarter ended March 31, 2013;

(iii) that the Company’s financial statements for the quarter ended March 31, 2013 were materially false and misleading and violated Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Microsoft’s publicly disclosed policy of accounting for inventories;

(iv) that the Company’s Form 10-Q for its third quarter of 2013 failed to disclose then presently known trends, events or uncertainties associated with the Surface RT product that were reasonably likely to have a material effect on Microsoft’s future operating results;

(v) that based on the foregoing, defendants lacked a reasonable basis for their positive statements about the Company’s Surface RT product during the Class Period.”

Last edited: 13 Aug 2013
  9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Seriously corky stick him on your ignore list and feel your blood pressure drop to normal levels...

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You know, I'm almost certain that I asked people to calm down. Where was it... Oh, yeah, here:

Now the lawsuit is an allegation, not proof. It won't be (legally) proven until the court upholds the complaint. Although to be fair, the complainants possibly should act less butt-hurt and accept that investing in the stock market comes with a certain level of risk --and that since their purchase in April 2013 Microsoft's stock has gone up (from about 29 to 32.34) --that is including the 11% drop caused by the write-down of the Surface RT. Basically they are complaining that over 4 months they made 11% less profit than they could have. :eyebrow:

Last edited: 15 Aug 2013
  11. Snips

Exactly Nexxo, and I would also add that it is another unrelated link to this topic.