1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Tablet market rocked by a 15.6 percent drop in 2016

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Feb 2017.

1. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

I still got the Samsung Galaxy SIII and I got myself a refurbished Nexus 2012 model - my god, that thing was slow, can't play games on it without freezing and updates always take a while. I then upgraded to Samsung S7 Edge and that's it, that tablet is my first and last. What a joy and difference, just made tablets redundant for me.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ain't that the truth? I was looking to upgrade from my old Sony Xperia Tablet Z, so my eldest could have it as an upgrade from her HP Touchpad, and there's *nothing* worth getting in the 10" market. Crazy!

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I used to have an HP touchpad. I overclocked the hell out of it, and it only lasted a little over a year. But I didn't use it much. so I see no reason to get something larger than my HTC M8.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

MS Surface 3 (not the Pro 3). Full fat Windows 10 in a light-weight tablet device with 10+ hours battery life. Stylus, detachable keyboard, USB 3.0 and micro USB ports, Micro SD slot.

It's practically grafted to my body. It goes everywhere.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

To be fair, once you put a desktop O/S plus a keyboard and a broad range of I/O on one you are closer to a laptop than you are a tablet.

6. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

No need to upgrade as often really, I have an Air 2 from my last work that is still great and a Kindle Fire I won being a coaster somewhere. My S6 Edge is everything I need on the move too.

Just swapped out my desktop at work for a Surface Pro and no complaints so far although it basically docks into another 2 screens and a keyboard/mouse. Works fine if i remember to keep open spreadsheets to a minimum.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's the best of both worlds. Windows 10 switches between a tablet and desktop interface quite well.

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

There isn't much that pushes you to upgrade a tablet much like a PC if all you do is simple stuff, Missus' ipad was fine until she ran out of 16GB storage, we upgraded to the pro and now she realizes that it is so much faster in games, web and mail use she wishes she had done it sooner.

Andriod tablet market has gone down hill, Samsung used to do good stuff until they started copying ipad.

9. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Add me to the list of people who are happy with their current tablet. All I use my iPad for is reading articles I've saved during the day in Pocket, and for my growing collection of comics. There's not much an upgrade can do to improve my reading experience.The only reason I'd upgrade is because, like sandys missus, I'm finding 16GB too small for all the apps, documents and articles I want to store on my tablet.

10. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Tablets are just a fad. I just found my ones were used so infrequently it just wasn't worth repairing or replacing them.

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

My Nexus 10 is still going great guns, and as it's used predominantly @ home is still in good nick, if it ain't broke don't fix it, and it gets used for a couple of hours a day.

12. OldCraftyCat

OldCraftyCat What's a Dremel?

After playing with a no name 10" tablet for a summer I bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 pro 13.3". For first 9 months it was gorgeous, once you have a 13.3" you can not go back (this what I thought), however it started to have problems... design problems, Lenovo forums are full of people that complain on the same issue (battery down to max 82%, not charging any more when on, slow charging when off and not accepting nor connecting to external memory or pc by miniUSB port). They never done a recall.
    Their service is crap, well crap at least is useful for growing vegetables, they are worse than spent depleted uranium bullets. So I learnt the lesson:
    Do not spend more that 70$ on a tablet, and keep using your home built pc, anyway your mobile now has a screen big enough for what you need when you are away from your/work desk.

and

13. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

They are really good for 2 things. Second screening whilst watching TV and entertaining your kids for 30 mins here and there!

14. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

My ipad 2 has 2 uses now; alarm clock and for watching amazon prime while washing the dishes. Its too slow to do anything else and I'm quite happy using my galaxy s7 for everything else.

15. Xir

Xir Modder

Exactly this, and not just in post-brexit-britain.

Always amazing to see that the industry is still puzzeled that pricing has anything to do with sales figures :rolleyes:

That said, is there a modern equivalent of the HUDL2?

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If you are willing to put up with the customizations they have done to android then the Amazon Fire series is uncontested among the budget tablets officially available in western countries.

17. Xir

Xir Modder

Yah, but in order to utilize it as I do, I'd need to jailbreak or sideload stuff into them immediately, which is possible but not.....Nice?