1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Tablet replacement for Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mctigger, 3 Jan 2012.

1. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

Hello All! It's been a while since ive posted on here!

I'm looking to swap out my laptop for a tablet, My current laptop is about 6 years old with a damged keyboard and I quite fancy a change. The laptop currently just sits on my coffee table and is only used for E-mail's and web browseing (you tube etc) any sort of downloading, more cpu instensive tasks (video encoding, programming) are done on my desktop (still the same one in my sig!)

The 2 i've been looking at are the Ipad2 and or galaxy tab 10.1. At the moment, i'm leaning towards the galaxy, as I have a host of videos that are on my desktop that I can currently share out using Samsung allshare to my samsung TV and/or Blu-ray player (The Blu ray player is in the bedroom with no wireless dongle, but the option is there), so that would allow me to stream my video/music etc to the tab. I know that allshare wasnt available when the tab was launched, but I have found several reviews/forums that says its on it and several that say it's not, can anyone confirm?

So in conclusion, what do you think of this idea? Should I be looking at other tablets other than the 2 i've mentioned?

Thanks!

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Remember this:

A Tablet is a large screen phone, not a Laptop.

If that will satisfy your needs then a tablet is OK.

3. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

Was waiting on the first sarcy reply...... quicker than I thought.

From the reply I assume your in favor of replacing the laptop for a new one?

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I think you misunderstand. Tablets can be good but one should realize what they are as not to expect too much.

I have a Galaxy note and therefore will never need/want this gen or probably next gen tablet.
    I have strong preference to all in one devices. The fewer separate devices I need the better.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

tablets are in between smartphones and laptop. i'd like to think of it as a much better netbook for media consumption.

for web browsing, you HAVE to go with iPad 2. the paper pad feel of 3:4 feels right compared to ultra-thin 9:16 on those Android tablets.

my story is similar to yours, except i went netbook first, because it was before release of iPad 1. netbook was for media consumption. but its battery life and terrible 16:9 letterbox of a screen made me search for an alternative. iPad 2 came out, and i thought it was perfect: square-ish display that gives large viewing area for any reading orientations.

now, im rocking an iPad 2, for daily news reading and living room random look-up. also has replaced my netbook (never owned a laptop) during away trips, making my carry-on bag so much lighter.

don't get me wrong, i almost bought a Xoom or Transformer. Android tablets are great. but they lack the app ecosystem, and they are ill-suited for web browsing. its formfactor is only really good for videos. (like a netbook, but why would you go for a £400 tablet instead of a £150 netbook with integrated stand?)

6. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I have the iPad 2 and it is great, but isn't really suitable for a laptop replacement. Im sure it can be done, but you will need a keyboard, and a printer that works with air print. If you have a main pc (like me) then they are great, but even typing this is an effort. Storage is also expensive, especially on an iPad :/

7. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

8. asye288

asye288 What's a Dremel?

From my prospective, tablet is for data consuming meaning for web browsing, reading and simple emailing. Whereas laptop is for both data consuming and data building.