Scratch Build – In Progress Temporary name: Bloo Balls --6-29-'11 Bloo 2.0 refit COMPLETED page 47

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 3 Jun 2007.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@theAlien -I don't trust my bending skills that much...

@mvagusta -Thanks! Thunderbirds...man, I hated those freaky-headed puppets! There's not enough gold paint to look like a thunderbirds machine in my opinion.:hehe:
    The layers on the block are glued together with Tap acrylic solvent. The aluminum baseplate is mounted with silicone aquarium sealant.
    Hose clamps are overkill on a test run, but if I ever get the loop finished I will use some.
    I'm having trouble getting a good photo of the big marble. It reflects all light directly back at you, so the camera freaks out when you try to take a pic. It's pretty simple, it's just a normal switch hidden inside a ton of plastic.:D

2. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

u spoke of using TribalOverkill's vaseline method for tapping plexi, im going to be tapping alot of plexi (hahahahahahahah inuendo...) and would like the link to this thread bout doing this method.

3. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

oh and u knw wot i think...i think u shud write a guide for bit-tech or the forums on how to make a water block...im in need of detail on that one coz i am also starting a project using mainly plexi so i need as much plexi experienced ppl on bay as possible...

4. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

where r u getting this acrylic from??? give link please! :D

5. HighWire

HighWire What's a Dremel?

This has got to be the funniest work log I ever read...

Very nice work nevertheless tho...

(the fan duct thing: "Im gonna keep grinding this thing up until I have somthing that works or until i end up with a pile of plastic doo doo..." )

Gonna laugh about this for a few hours... :)

6. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Hey, Cheap's a funny dude! I for one love his worklogs and the way he is so candid with what he's doing. He reminds me of me. Sense of humor is similar at least. I'm kind of a pack rat, but then again, I'm not a Cheapskate. :hehe: Sorry, set myself up for that one.

7. Cheapskate

Thanks everyone! I've actually kept my humor pretty tame here.:worried: (scary thought, is'nt it?)

@EnZyme - plexi tapping:TribalOverkill's Liquid EvolutionIt's in there somewhere... but you will enjoy the whole thread.
    On the waterblocks I think I covered most of what was done. I just copied the baseplate area of my heatsinks and did a careful measurement of the mounting holes. I found later that companies like Swiftech have detailed measurement specs that I could have used.:duh:

@[xXx] ãÇè_ƒr€áK - http://www.delviesplastics.com/for acrylic sheet
    http://www.mcmaster.com/for polycarbonate/lexan sheet
    http://www.tapplastics.com/for glue and acrylic tube
    A lot of the other odd plastic bits I have are actually stuff I got from an old friend, like the big 1 1/4" sheet and some of the big tubing (that I may end up not using.)
    Thinking back, I wish I had clamped onto some of the other plastic junk we had rolling around. There was some 1/2 powder blue transparent sheet and tube that I have never seen anything like since.:wallbash:

Last edited: 17 May 2008
  8. mr_carl

mr_carl What's a Dremel?

Exelent work man, I really enjoy coming here every day and see whats up :D

9. AnUnknownSource

AnUnknownSource What's a Dremel?

now THATs a thorough worklog! Looks good!

10. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

thanks dude thanks for the links should help everyone not just me!

11. Cheapskate

Thanky' kindly! (tips invisible hat)

12. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I love this project!!

13. Cheapskate

Oh, Hi Modsquad! Glad you like it!

---

I'm having trouble with photobucket. They have decided to 'upgrade' the site from 'working' to 'buggy and bloated.'
    This means no update until they decide to admit something's wrong. They even locked the tech support forum...

I put in an order to McMaster-Carr for self-clinching nuts...sounds painful.

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Thanks for the tip on photobucket. I'll go somewheres else now, lol.

If you didn't type it, I would have. :D

15. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Here is some awesome modding going on and you have amazing acrylic skills. Great stuff.

16. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

God this is so cool!!!!

17. hu$tla

hu$tla What's a Dremel?

great work on that one :D

keep up

18. Cheapskate

Thanks everybody! Franklin -and- Tribal complimenting my work... It's like I'm getting all the pokemons of modding or something!
    I gots a hu$tla card too!

I was a little harsh on photobucket, I figured the problem was on my end, but it's my internet service. I can't upload anything.

19. Cheapskate

Ok. found the problem, my router is HOT. -and my internet provider is choked to 25% of what I pay for...
    Quick update.
    [​IMG]
    -I hooked up the northbridge block and have had the system running semi-permanently on water. No NB temps, but it hasn't cooked off either! The spring actually turned out to be too weak to hold the block with the hoses and everything. I had to put a spacer in the slot in the middle of the block. I also needed to put some foam bits around the chip contact area because the chip was so small that the block was rocking around on it.
    [​IMG]
    -blurry close up. Processor temp is maxing out at 117F with this configuration. I think it's because the radiator is away from the ambient heat and the fan is blowing into the radiator. (Well, I'm also running more water with less antifreeze...)
    [​IMG]
    -Obligatory Batman camera angle. I'm very happy with the performance of the water cooling. I went from toaster oven hot to cold bathwater. Now I need to worry about it working TOO well during the winter.:D
    [​IMG]
    -I'm currently beveling and sanding the bottom-side fins. I've discovered a new occupational hazzard. I may have mentioned it before here, but it's too important an issue to avoid. After long sanding sessions I developed a condition I will refer to as BLUE SNOT!:eyebrow: Yes! the plexi dust has made my boogers light blue. Wear a dust mask kiddies, unless you want to become a victim too!:worried:

20. Teyber

Teyber ******

nice work!
    About temps: the more water/less antifreeze the better the temps. Water has the best viscosity, therefore cooler temps. The more water the better.
    Rofl blue snot... not good! pretty soon its... o no paps! i think i gotsda blue lung!