1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Teufel Concept D 500 THX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 15 Apr 2011.

1. cyberspyder

cyberspyder Canuck

I've never heard of a subwoofer only going down to 35Hz, have you? Says it all pretty much...

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

A "better option" and "sound better" are entirely different statements. I have no doubts that you can strut in to a hifi shop (comparing second hand doesn't make sense unless you're comparing it to a likely S/H price of the Teufel speakers) and put together a better sounding set of separates for the same cost, but not everyone wants a stack of kit and some bulky speakers to house on their desk. I'm sure some people (not likely to be on these forums, mind) would feel intimidated by putting together separates as well, and just have £500 to spend on a one-box. This is the same part of the market that spends £1000 on one-box home cinema kits.

I'm not saying it's my cup of tea (coming from the guy who has a £3000 hifi as his PC speakers...), but can see where they're aiming with this.

You know when Logitech et al claim that their sub does 20hz@-3dB? Yeah, they're lying, basically. Quality of bass beats depth/volume any time, and getting them all in the same package isn't something I can see PC speakers achieving.

3. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

"A "better option" and "sound better" are entirely different statements."

well yes - if you want a nice dinner a better option than buying speakers is to buy lunch....

however if you are looking to buy speakers - a better option should mean sounding better

if however you prefixed it with

if you are the kind of person that values a one box solution over separates then.....

but you didn't - you said it was a better option because it was a one box solution...

which is quite different

out of interest though - how do you hook your hifi up to your pc? now thats an interesting subject for an article.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Granted, sounding good ranks pretty highly on the speaker-ranking-o-meter, but it isn't the only parameter by which a speaker may be evaluated.

Let me pose an example - the subwoofer in my cinema setup is the size of a Volkswagen (only a small one, mind, maybe a Lupo), however does produce rather stellar low frequencies making it "better" in my eyes than the model down from it. The performance of the model down of is nearly up to the larger one, however in a package 1/4 the size. My wife on the other hand, constantly questions why I need a subwoofer the size of a Volkswagen Lupo, and that it would be "better" if it was smaller and easier to tuck away in a corner, especially if the smaller one was almost as good in the bass reproduction arena.

In my kitchen, I've got a Sonos S5 (one-box network music player) providing music duties. I've actually got some rather excellent active monitors sitting in a box in my attic that I could have used with a ZP90 (the non-integrated Sonos) to get a much better sound, however the fact that the S5 tucks away in a corner makes it a better option in my opinion.

Better means different things for different people, which is what I was pointing out.

Co-axial S/PDIF through to a DAC.

Tags: Add Tags