The count to 100 thread

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by October, 31 Jan 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Thin ice :brrr::brrr:

Last edited: 3 Feb 2011
  2. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

:hehe: You have to have a sense of humour about these things.

Oh no I forgot, we shouldn't should we, THAT was my point :)duh: me)

Teelzebub likes this.
  3. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I only got as far as page 2 in this thread but would just like to bring back:

This.

Also, like most I don't have any interest in post counts, but for those who do - I agree with the suggestion to create a subform called something like 'Not So Serious'. I also agree that currently it's a bit of a pain creating a thread that is meant to be informative and helpful only to see it battered into the dark recesses of page 52 due to the 'fun' threads being in general.

Added: I would like to add. I actually posted in the count to 100 thread once, not that it even interested me, and I didn't follow the rules as such ... I was quite amused that someone had gotten away with creating such a blatant spam thread and it had several pages of replies. I only clicked on THIS thread because I thought it was the original (not knowing the original had been closed), and I clicked to come in because I am obviously tediously bored and thought I'd find out if you guys had actually managed to do a hundred, or the level of anarchy.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2011
  4. October

October Mariachi Style

As regards that quote, I was merely demonstrating that one of the biggest (and recently most vocal) opponents to these types of threads was also one of their bigger contributors :rolleyes:

Again (if mods are still reading this) I would like to raise the question of consistancy;

A-Z is still going strong, I see nothing any more beneficial to general forum life contained therein (beneficial as defined by those in the know, see most of above) than any of the other threads previously mentioned. I would like to reiterate that I have no desire to see this particular thread closed (it has long ceased to interest me) but I find the fact that it is allowed to thrive while other (entirely similar) threads are not slightly confusing.

Bindi mentioned the fact that 1st word was a "forum game", and this was why it had been permitted to live. Granted he closed it very soon after but what constitutes a "forum game"? Duration of thread? If so, how are any new games to be begun if they get shut down within days of opening. If not that then what?

Any chance of an honest-to-goodness mod explaining in clear terms to us all what is and isn't permitted in GD? It's pretty hard to tell right now.

Someone mentioned the actual "rules", such as they are, for GD. I believe it mentioned funny. Obviously this isn't exactly universally definable, I found count to 100 rather humorous for example.

5. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I think it's basically if anything comes across as even provoking too much shenanigans or hostility, then it's not geeky enough for the forum, so it's time to close it :geek:

In the forum rules where they used the words "posistively contribute", they were too ashamed to follow them up with "in a good clean wholesome geeky way" :lol:
    That's why A-Z might still be going strong, but if some shenanigans or fighting starts occurring, then guess what :waah:

I think the title of General is entirely to blame. We the members of bit tech, are the victims here :worried:

It says "cheesecake clearance sale now on" ffs, I mean c'mon, they are asking for us to have some fun in there! Maybe it should say something like "other geeky stuff for the family to enjoy"

brave758 likes this.
  6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

That's an impossible question to answer. You can't possibly cover every eventuality that the human brain can come up with.

Instead of having set 'rules', I think the idea is that forum members show some sort of restraint and use their own discretion to decide whether something is worth posting or not. Just think what the forum would look like if everyone just posted whatever popped into their head at any given minute, rather than taking a second before pressing that 'submit' button to decide whether that post is actually worth making, and whether other people would want to read it.

As for those 'forum games', then I personally don't care about them at all and have never really participated in any for an extended length of time. That isn't to say they shouldn't exist at all though. But there needs to be a balance, you can't have nearly ten of them all going at the same time and filling up the forum. This is why some of them were closed; the sheer volume of them was getting out of hand, it had nothing to do with particularly objectionable content. You seem to imply there is some sort of fascist regime where only certain things are allowed to be posted, but that really isn't the case. I think Bindi or whoever it was who closed them decided enough was enough and god rid of the silliest/most recent ones (which were all started by the same person).

TL;DR - just use your common sense before posting, people. Most of you are adults, aren't you?

I defy you to find a single post in the "Spam here" "First word which comes into your mind" thread which was actually funny.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2011
  7. Teelzebub

I think the problem here is although the average age here is around the 20 something most of the people here are not acting like adults the demot thread is proof of that and the Babes thread as is this thread and I haven't actually started any of those threads.

8. October

October Mariachi Style

Big difference between fun and funny ;)

/pedant

mvagusta and Carrie like this.
  9. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

You're right, no single post in first word was funny, because it was (usually) a single word. Not even the word comedian is funny on its own.

Sometimes the thread was amusing because of the inter-relation between posts (and the speed of post) which seemed to be the point of the "game".

Tell me though what the educational or discussion value was from the recently closed B-T babes, bearing in mind it was labelled as Educational, the contents of which could in essence be obtained from any news agent's top shelf (assuming the contributing members could reach it)? Or for that matter a picture of what someone has on their PC screen?

mvagusta likes this.
  10. Teelzebub

And what about the Latest Purchases Thread then since when has a pair of trainers or a tee shirt been tech stuff if you close one then surely you have to close them all that are not tech, And while your at it lets close this one to Fighting/Martial Arts I dont think there a fighting art with computers do you?? CPU's at ten paces lol

11. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Actually you might be wrong there :hehe: (see posts 1 -110)

12. Teelzebub

LOL only if they can fit them in thier handbags :hehe:

13. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Is that a trick question :confused:

Remember that this is a computer modification forum, so such a thread could very well be one of the most educational and thought provoking on the whole forum!!!

Can you even imagine the despair closing such a thread would have caused to so many :confused: Oh the humanity! :waah:

Carrie likes this.
  14. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

When is started reading this thread I thought for once I would see a proper discussion for more then 50 posts but noooo.

Lately there have been way to many post count whoring threads in GD and I see a lot of users who are not even 1,5 years around with post counts way over 4000.

Whats the point? Is post count so important to people that they push it up at all costs (like my sanity?)

There are a lot of users around with low post count that contribute more to the forums then people who reply with one lines 15 times in 1 hour rather then forming a proper post with content and context.

Think first, post later

15. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Oh hell I'm confused again :confused:

Just when I thought the issue was swamping interesting threads, infantile behaviour and a lack of respect for serious business, it's now the post-count that's the problem?

16. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Woah there!

Everyone needs to calm down a little I think, and another with attacking each other...

Of course there are going to be 'grey areas' in the rules and things that others may not like/enjoy but everyone just needs to be sensible.

Forum games are a part of a forum community, maybe there should just be a sub-forum for that to keep it clear if people don't like it (although I think there are probably enough forums as it is).

Post counts mean nothing, they just a number and if people want to spend there time posting in a forum thread, that should be up to them.

Personally the only things that have mildly irritated me are a few spam threads which were not constructive in anyway or even amusing - they were just attention seeking. But you can always just not read them.

I think this bitching at each other needs to die, its certainly ont helping and nothing is going to get sorted from it apart from maybe a little frustration venting.

17. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Certainly been alot of this during the past few weeks. Use to be a case of if you didn't like what the other person said you just ignored, these days blatantly verbally attacking the other person with little provocation is getting very common and isn't being handled well.

Gotta disagree on the post count means nothing thou, a higher post count can give off a sense of trustworthyness and allows posting in various parts of the forums.

18. Teelzebub

So are you saying someone with only 2000 in 6 years would have only posted non spam / intilligent post?? As this post would seem to prove the opposite I dont understand why the amount of post someone has is relevant a precentage of everyones post large or small will be spam / c**p or just a matter of opinion and opinions is what this thread is mainly made up of.

^^
    This

19. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I know what you mean, but that is supposedly what the rep function is for although that gets abused in the GD area tbh.

Trustworthyness is about common sense - a mix of post count, join date, rep and your own observations about someone.

20. Teelzebub

And lets face it it got the most abused in the Demot thread didn't it??

Ljs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.