1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The finer things in life...

Discussion in 'General' started by TheStockBroker, 15 Jun 2012.

1. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

I think it's largely down to the individual. I know several snobs that probably look down their nose at me for being an unclean pleb, but you can still enjoy nice things while maintaining a level head.

I'd note that while we're talking about nice or "finer" things, I'd say most people in this thread (I hope) probably don't enjoy the aforementioned for reasons of elitism or posturing.

I'd agree with you to an extent, and I think most people realise that materialism is not true happiness, but I don't see that we need to attain Buddhist levels of asceticism -- we do get enjoyment from these things, and why not? It's all part of being alive :)

Ah, so I wasn't the only one thinking that then :)

2. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Disagree. It's trumped by
    lots of awesome sex

3. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Okay guys, we get the message.

The fact that I'm 15 doesn't mean I'm completely jealous of you guys...

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Pro tip: those who have good sex are too busy enjoying it to talk about it all the time. So let's get back on topic.

5. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Touchè good sir, touchè. I could come back with a witty retort, but in the spirit of keeping bit clean, I won't.

On topic. I love my Aeropress - a cheap but effective way to make a quality coffee. I also love my Zippos.

Aside from that I prefer to gain my riches through experiences rather than spending far too much on material possessions. I like to start cheap with possessions and then modify over time to have a much better product (where possible and economically viable).

I find few things as rewarding as getting something crap and then building it into a thing of awesomeness.

It's also how I have a £300 airsoft gun which will happily outrange a £1300 gun - and the grin I get from the end result is just huge...

6. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Finishing some excellent wiring is always an awesome feeling!

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

You're right, it is! Wiring can be a work of art and there aren't a lot of people who can do it to the level that it requires to be called art - I'm even talking about patch wiring, not just PC looms :thumb:

8. longweight

I take pleasure in wiring everything, mains plugs, LED drivers, ring mains, all of it!

First rule; all of the striped cables have to be the same length!

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

10. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

You'll find that those that talk about it most are probably seeing the least of it, so I wouldn't worry.

That said I started at 14 and don't even remember (26 now), don't feel the urge to rush into it, may as well make the first relationship count.

On Topic:

Just fished making my new speaker cables, pure silver, sleeved myself, soldered on silver spade connectors and heat shrinked.....first bit of 'modding' I've done in about the last 5 years...really brought me back to when I was into this stuff more, not to mention the end result sounds great.

11. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

My idea of a nightmare. The scary thing is that I've seen rows of cabinets wired up like that before. Not on anywhere near that scale, but equally untidy and impossible to diagnose faults with :rolleyes: That's something that I always think about when designing and wiring a new network - how easy is it going to be for the next guy to work on and understand? It's something I wish more people would take into account instead of just stuffing cables here, there and everywhere!

12. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Opus are currently my favourites (providing I'm not the one having to lift them).

I'm still a fan of how Turbosound Sound, although that may just be what I'm used to usinh.

I think Powersoft are beating Lab for me for amps, although that's just due to the weight difference.

13. Comfyasabadger

Comfyasabadger What's a Dremel?

Pure and simple... A Good Women.

14. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Wallets and bags.

15. longweight

That isn't very imaginative!

16. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Probably more interesting than half the stuff in here though.

I've said linen, matresses, wallets and bags...

17. longweight

Yes but human relationships should be a given, children, partners and family are obviously more important than material objects but that isn't what this thread is about.

18. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Alright Captain Serious!

No women allowed.

But yes, someone talk to me about Wallets. Outside of the leather shop in Camden I've never really known anywhere else that does super special wallets. I normally go to Debenhams and pick out something for about £40 (Dents normally), I've only had three wallets in ten years so spending a bit on them isn't outrageous.

19. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Longweight, I can see your point, but I wholeheartedly disagree. Before having a child I would have littered this thread with all the cool junk I have really enjoyed owning over the past few years, but the OP asks two fundamental questions:

1) What do you feel are the finer things in life?
    2) So Bit-Tech, what has imperceptibly and slowly changed your life forever?

The overriding and honest answer to that question was what I posted. So many people I know have troubled relationships, or are unable/unwilling to have children of their own. This just makes me feel unbelievably lucky to have been able to have been able to experience this for myself. Granted this will not apply to everyone, but you can't knock it 'til you've tried it.

I'll just add that whilst contemplating the decision to have a child my general opinion of children was that they are annoying, time and money wasting little scrotes - and they can be - but they are also the most fulfilling pastime I have ever had. And I've had a lot. And apparently one of those pastimes is starting sentences with conjunctions. Sorry Uni.

:)

EDIT: I should add though that I am referring to young children who sap all of your spare time when they are awake - I'm sure as my daughter and her as yet un-conceived sibling grow older and more independent the finer things in life (other than family) will become much more material again. Also, I love good food far too much. Hell I love bad food if I'm hungry enough.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2012
  20. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Fine wine is probably top of my list.

In terms of knives, I have a Shun Ken Onion 12" blade. That's quite enjoyable.

I have some globals but they do really disappoint me....so soft, and their stupid proprietory blade angle is chuffing annoying too....