1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The Jumping Game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 2 Oct 2012.

1. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

In Guild Wars 2 in a place called Lion's Arch there's a really legit jumping puzzle/maze section near one of the vistas and it takes about 20 minutes to run through on your first time. Really, really fun stuff, it feels like I'm in that movie, The Goonies!

2. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

There's even a treasure vendor at the end who gives you some good loot after the ghosts troll you with a boring old chest of MEH items. :)

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Non-expandable screenshots, can't tell what's happening

4. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Ah the rocket jump in TFC :)

FarCry was probably the most interesting game to use it though since it was often useful and the graphics didn't fall apart

5. gosh

gosh Minimodder

surprised no-ones mentioned borderlands - BL2 has some ladders and generally only has chests at the top of hard to scale hills or buildings but the first one had loads of puzzle sidequests involving massive floaty jumps and surfaces that you'd slide down if if you didn't stop running into a wall while trying to angle your next hop.

deus ex : HR was a pain too, plenty of secret routes, gear and advantages to climbing but often i'd stack up crates from all over a level because i was convinced something was up there !

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

While reading I couldn't help but think of my time playing WoW, then lo and behold the author mentions it! Azeroth used to hold so many little secret places (maybe it still does after being reshaped, don't know), be they easter eggs or areas which players weren't meant to reach. My favorite memory is exploiting the swimming fatigue system to swim from Tirisfal along the coast into an unlabeled zone, then getting stuck in a hole where some dev seemed to have been messing about with the world editor.

I'm now really excited for Dishonored. It sounds like a game with plenty of Jumping Game opportunities. From what I've seen the devs were impressed by what some early play testers were coming up with so I hope they decided to leave in plenty of secret places.

7. Pinguu

Pinguu Noot Noot!

I remember doing this on Enemy Territory, trying to find ways to get around the map quickly. Strafe-jumping and sliding up tiny 'ramps' allowed you to get to some pretty nice spots- Q3 engine physics were the best :D

8. jammy_fred

jammy_fred Minimodder

I have spent dozens of hours playing a *******ised version of this in Burnout: Paradise.

Once we got too lazy to concentrate on racing or completing a challenge for more than 2 minutes we'd instead just spent hours shooting the **** and periodically finding a new parking space.

p.s. After reading this back to myself I feel like I've just described the most boring possible gaming experience ever.

tl;dr: I'm too lazy to play video games.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2012
Tags: Add Tags