Hardware The (LAN)Party is over for DFI

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 3 Jun 2010.

1. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

There are other big players in the board market, it would just be the enthusiast / home build market that would be dominated by the two brands. The big OEMs are all mainly Foxconn based and even some of the Asus/Gigabyte product are made by Foxconn and the like.

In the UK MSI are in third place for size by a fair way, they make excellent products but fail to capture the imagination of the UK, more based on reputation than current product offerings.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I know Sapphire stole some of EVGA's guys, but that doesn't mean they'll make newer mobos.

Although their last 790FX board was essentially a DFI board, so maybe there's hope?

I'd say have XFX make a few more boards, their boards were a bit crap tbh, but hey more competition, or maybe even BFG.

3. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

Highly doubt BFG will get in on the action in the UK.

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Yeah I doubt it too, but then again, they got out of the GPU business.

Plus Sapphire has been making Motherboards for a long time under the radar, so it's a possibility. Foxconn actually has some pretty decent motherboards, they're just too average, nothing exciting about them.

Actually with a bit of digging, I've discovered that Epox became SUPox.

Interestingly they haven't released any motherboards, but they have been making some lately, like their X58 and P55 ones, but so far nothing.

http://www.techpowerup.com/94197/SUPoX_AP55+_GTR_Motherboard_Surfaces.html

Clicky.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2010
  5. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

I wasn't dissing the quality of MSI boards, I don't think this was the reason Abit or DFI went under, I was just looking at the number of different motherboards MSI have available at the moment in comparison to ASUS and Gigabyte.

Tags: Add Tags