Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Unfortunately, he often also does his own acting.

The_Crapman, Pete J and IanW like this.
  2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

The Rock can act. I will die on this hill, lads.

3. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Indy: Dial of Destiny 7/10
    Whilst heaps better than the mess that was Crystal Skull, and contained some pretty good action sequences and nods to the original trilogy, it totally failed to emulate the pacing of the orignals. scenes/sequeneces were too drawn out or never really stopped and sequed too mcuh into the following bits.
    I liked how the tied up Shia le whatsits non-presence in the film
    I liked the tuk tuk chase through tangiers
    I liked Sol(?) turning up in NY as a cabbie
    The whole "this phoenix has propellers"/archimedes wearing a watch was wholly unnecessary sign-posting :(
    Why was PW-B character in it for the money? too much of a macguffin
    In general a little bit too trigger happy for speaking characters
    Was the main bad the same one as got smakced off a train by a water tower at highspeed? how the fudge did he survive that with out significant/obvious injury?!
    Please please please dont make any more.
    [/spolier]

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I would argue that most people can act, with varying degrees of success. The Rock plays the same character in every damn film he's in. He's an actor, and a bad one (and I, too, will die on that hill!). :grin:

Edit: Bautista... now there's a big swole guy who can actually act.

The_Crapman, adidan and Pete J like this.
  5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Re: Dwayne The Rock Dibley.

IIRC aren't WWE performing monkeys required to stay 'in character' [or within a defined niche] even when not doing WWE ****... Hence them mostly playing 'themselves' or a watered down version of their WWE persona, be it The Rock, John Cena, Steve Austin, or whoever...

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

We're in luck, people! A new John Cena film has just released on Amazon Prime!

"An ex special forces operator takes a job to provide security for a journalist as she interviews a dictator, but, a military coup breaks out in the middle of the interview, they are forced to escape into the jungle where they must survive."

Who's hosting?

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I suppose we have Predator and Rambo to blame for this subgenre existing, really. They coaxed execs into supporting these musclemountain casting decisions, and lo and behold, there turned out to be a real audience for the stuff (even if it is the same audience that attends monster truck derbies).

Who are the exceptions? I guess both Chris's from the Marvel lot, and Terry Holmes (who satirized the cult of muscle perfectly in Idiocracy). Wesley Snipes? He's not bad.

LennyRhys likes this.
  8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I rather enjoyed rebel moon. I'd give it 7/10, a solid eddort.

I had heard mumblings about it being a star wars clone, but didn't feel that way to me. Any space tales involving battles of allies Vs axis power are going to draw star wars comparisons, but there's very little in the way of force-esque super powers, there's a lot of design influenced by 40k by what I saw, and the plot was more 'bill and Ted's excellent adventure' than 'a new hope'.

I thought the film explained pretty well how the lead was capable of taking down an entire squad of grunts, albeit with a little assistance. Most action films protagonist will be capable of taking out absolutely everyone until it's necessary they get beaten/captured for the plot. John McLain is just a normal cop, but took out scores of highly trained mercenaries and military personnel. Danny glover killed a predator! Danny 'made of frickin marshmallow' glover!

I did think it kind of ended prematurely with and awful lot of questions left hanging awkwardly, but that's probably more the foibles of everything needing 15 sequels or entire universes of spin offs to milk every last drop blood from an IP.

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Eh, each to their own. Glad you enjoyed it.

I don't feel that it particularly copied anything (excepting the "light sabres"), so I will give it some additional credit for originality of design. We live in an age where there are now a lot of films, so it's impossible to not have similarities to something.

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The trailers have already started dropping for part 2 - "The Scargiver" (sic).

11. The_Crapman

Oh absolutely, not trying to say you're wrong, just offering an alternative view, so apologies if it came across that way.

When it finished I had very mixed emotions on it from the abrupt ending, but Mrs crap liked it which probably pushed it over into the 5/7 bracket. But then again, Mrs crap liked it so maybe I need to reconsider :worried: :hehe:

Eek. I try to avoid trailers these days as they tend to be incredibly spoiler laiden. I watched about 15seconds of the trailer for the first one, stopped when the shop appears from the clouds, it had me already.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2024
    Pete J likes this.
  12. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I had to watch it after reading this as I had some weird Zardoz/Mr Benn mash-up pictured in my head.

The_Crapman, Pete J and IanW like this.
  13. The_Crapman

It's more mrs Goggins on a hoverboard.

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Planes Fire and Rescue: 7/10

Been a fan of soundtracks for a long time and have been in the mood for a bit of Mark Mancina as of late (Bad Boys, Con Air, Twister), surprisingly I didn't know he did the OST to this so with a few hours to kill I thought **** it, an easy evenings watch, and you know what? its actually really good and does a good job of covering a subject I don't think I've ever seen a film off, its a damn sight better than the first one, could do with a slightly longer run time to be honest but that's a minor gripe

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It's a sequel to "Planes" (which is itself a spinoff of Cars) - Another Mancina soundtrack for you.

16. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

MI Dead Reckoning Pt 1 - proper stunts/10
    A jolly exciting romp enjoyed by all, if imbued with somewhat confusing motives for the main piece of bad (hinted at by a throwaway ten second line at the start). Most importantly though, despite the odd humorous comment which we noted down, themes of mortal peril are - as always with the franchise - handled with maturity and even-handedness. Plus there are nice things to look at.

Transformers Rise of the Beasts - Transformers does racism/10
    I got bored and the kids started doing other things about fifteen minutes in. Got turned off.

Finch (or Castaway 2) - Tom Takes The Cash/10
    I am surprised this even got made. So inherently predictable from the off that I wonder if it was made as a promotional vehicle for Apple TV. It can have a point for some robot humour and I reckon the kids would give it a point for the dog but I'm reducing that to half of one.

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

The Equalizer 3
    Edward Woodward wouldn't, and I wish I bloody hadn't, 2 hours of my life I'm never getting back.

18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

John Wick 4 - It Was An Honour, My Friend/10

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Rewatched Dune as it's come on Netflix.

Still enjoyable but it disturbed me the whole way through after convincing myself Chalamet sounds just like a younger version of Niicholas Cage.

20. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The Adam Project - pop brain out bit of fun/10. Some funny takeaway lines.
    Strange how one particular firearm wasn't whipped out of someones hands though, particularly when what came out of it did the trick, that was the only particularly noticeable belief suspending bit.
    Near the end with the three of them and dad turns round, it still hit hard.