Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I did sit through it but it was a conscious effort. It looked impressive - it's just a shame it had nothing to back it up.

adidan and LennyRhys like this.
  2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Same feeling from me, having watched the rest of it. The visuals are incredible, but the plot is ludicrously convoluted and really starts to drag towards the end of the movie.

An easy 10/10 for visuals and maybe 5/10 for plot.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well screw you guys, ‘cos I really enjoyed it! :hehe:

LennyRhys, David and adidan like this.
  4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Byron me old mucker, if you like 5/10 plots, you go ahead and enjoy them :D

LennyRhys, Byron C and adidan like this.
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

5/10?

Someone's in a generous mood this morning. :happy:

6. David

Plots?

Are we talking about allotments? If you grow enough veggies, maybe some of them can star in a sequel.

IanW and LennyRhys like this.
  7. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Been there, done that, but not sure why the afrotherian thinks overruling someone else's enjoyment whether tongue in cheek or not is a valid response worth typing (given most afrotherian posts are a page or more).

The afro reviews used to be of value but have been increasingly less so of late (similar to much else here, unforts). And starting to find this thread the same, so yes, I will do the obvious and start to swerve this one.

8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Mate, are you on a mission to make nobody like you? I don't know why you have sand in your wazoo about me, but if it's really that itchy, you can always just block me, then you won't see the tedious walls of text. I know they're tedious. I make no apologies, and it's fine you're not into it. But keeping me visible and continuing to engage sort of looks like a love-hate thing, like you need my particular brand of sand in your wazoo.

Or is it just boredom that keeps you coming back?

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Or love-hate?
    Or an itchy wazoo?
    Or an urge to get you back on your game?

10. David

Jeez, knock off the love taps and get a room!

IanW, Pete J and adidan like this.
  11. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Sounds saucy! Even after university I don't know what that might mean, but I'm up for something new...

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I find that the least inconceivable part of the whole premise, because the US does operate on foreign soil without recrimination or explanation. Maybe not to the degree depicted in the film (unless DARPA's been keeping their mega-tanks and orbital battlestations well under wraps), but the offensive towards the end of the film is the culmination of a long "cold" war.

I also like 1/10 plots as well :grin:

Honestly I'm long past the point of caring about whether other people also think that the things I like are "good". Years and years ago, a friend of mine who's no longer with us said "there's no such thing as a guilty pleasure, because why should you feel guilty for doing something you enjoy". I think he was paraphrasing Benji Webbe of Skindred, but the point stuck with me and was made rather more poignant and salient when he died so suddently a couple of years ago. So... thank you for that Neil, I will feel no shame or guilt for enjoying the things I enjoy :happy:

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The Black Hole 7/10

Well damn, this is a strange-ass movie if ever there was one, but a scifi classic nevertheless. I first watched it back in the 80s as a kid and haven't seen it since, so last night's viewing experience was a blast. The story meanders and the pacing is generally pretty good, but towards the end it just gets plain weird and it's hard to tell what's actually going on. I love the designs of the robot Maximillian and the awesome USS Cygnus exploration craft - there were more than a few occasions where I got strong Event Horizon vibes, probably because of the subject matter more than anything.

IanW and Pete J like this.
  14. David

Well, since it's now ~ 25 years old, and the better part of 20 years since I last watched it...

Dogma. Still awesome.

What I didn't know: the reason it fell off the grid and it didn't get re-runs, or a sequel and wasn't featured on any of the streaming sites, is because Harvey Weinstein owns the rights to the film.

Which led to a great line by Kevin Smith: "my movie about angels is owned by the devil".

Last edited: 5 Mar 2024
    LennyRhys likes this.
  15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Fun fact - This was the first ever Disney movie to get a PG-rating.

Pete J and LennyRhys like this.
  16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

The Apiarist.

Wow, just wow, words can not do it justice.

Pete J likes this.
  17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

He does good stuff, Crank, Lock Stock, Mean Machine, The Italian Job, Homefront, OK maybe that last one is 50/50.

That he does sound and look like a regular from down your local is why he works, for me, but everything else, Meg, The Expendables, Fast n Furious, The Beekeeper etc. yes he really does stink and hams up.
    He's had more misses than hits, but such is Hollywood nowadays, well for so long really, they truly are all out of ideas and believable characters

18. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I will watch Taxi Driver at some point but all the clips I've seen scream "spend your time better elsewhere", so Jase has little to be toooo ashamed of when industry-standard plaudits land at the feet of one-character actors as just indicated.

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

20. David

turn it up to 11