1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Shrine (update 24/3 COMPLETED! photos and video)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by quizz_kid, 14 Oct 2012.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

oooh, delicious combo of copper and walnut. It's like when those dudes eating peanut butter and chocolate accidentally ran into each other.

2. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Again, subbed waaaaay too late. Anyway, now I'm here.

3. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Peanut butter and chocolate? That´s a deadly sin man... But thanks!

Hi man... It´s never too late for stopping by. Appreciate it!

4. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

:Here´s an update for you all!

I started off with the lighting... This is the idea:

[​IMG]
    Got this 8mm copper tube in the mail this morning

[​IMG]
    I aslo got this little tube cutter... It´s very effective and the cuts are perfect.

[​IMG]
    I just cut the whole tube down into small random sized pipes.

[​IMG]
    Then I inserted some black bezel LED holders into the tubes, and they fitted almost too perfect (I only had three LED holders, so gonna order some more) To make the diodes fit I´ll have to sand the edges down like on the picture. Well that´s going to be boring...

[​IMG]
    Then I placed the pipes in a nice "random" flow on the top plate and marked it for drilling. I decided to have some LEDs up on the I/O hider too.

[​IMG]
    Then I wanted to try something new for some of the cables. This is the power SW cable. I cut one of the cables and replaced it with a copper wire for good bending.

[​IMG]
    I tried to get the two cables through this nice lace I had laying around, but it was too tight. I came up with a solution where I put a tiny piece of schrinking tube on the end of both cables, and finally managed to get them both through.

[​IMG]
    And this is what you can make with a cable like this, a stable spiral. I like it!!

[​IMG]
    Then I made a mesh for the I/O hider and found a nice little thing for the P4 cable to go through.

[​IMG]
    I painted the mesh black, and turned brass into copper. This is how it looks. Oh, and yeah, that´s my DIY P4 cable.

[​IMG]
    And here are some pictures of the pipes breaking through the surface of the top plate.

[​IMG]
    The I/O hider

[​IMG]
    From above

[​IMG]
    Close up

[​IMG]
    Another angle

[​IMG]
    Finally, I made the tiny tiny walnut piece. Can you guess the function of this one??? It´s 52mm long, if that´s a clue?...

Laterzzz! :lol::lol::lol:

5. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

24 pin? :D

6. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

:D
    Just spoil all the fun Pranja!! ... and we have a winner. But you scare me. Are you walking around with the measurements of an ATX connector in your head??

7. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Well,my professor would said: "That's the way how engineers solve problems." :D
    I don't know measurments,but I am very good in comparing object sizes. :hip:

8. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Comparing sizes... Now that´s a .... skill!! :lol:

9. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

I´ve been looking at the copper pipes all evening, and I´m not too sure about them anymore. I find them nice, but for this build they just might be a bit too much. I want something more simplyfied here I think. I´m going to make a new top plate tomorrow, exactly the same, but without the pipes... Hmm

10. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Update time

[​IMG]
    I decided to get rid of the door function and glued it all together. There´s really no need for a door anymore, this after a minor change in the case design. And it will feel more solid now. I left the hinges in there in lack of ideas, but it´ll look ok I think.

[​IMG]
    As I said, those copper pipes seemed a bit to much, so I made a new top plate, a very similar one as you can see, but with 7mm holes instead of 8mm, AND i put a darker stain on it. It´ll look better with the board and is a nice contrast to the outer shell. Much better I think.

[​IMG]
    I will leave those copper pipes and go with these tiny LED bezel holders instead. The build will have a much cleaner look now. But what a waste of copper :lol:

[​IMG]
    Then I stained the I/O hider in the same tone as the top plate and made a new mesh.

[​IMG]
    Then it was time for some sleeving. It´s my first ATX sleeving, and it´s very unique I guess. Used black and black/brown cotton laces for the job.

[​IMG]
    The walnut connector in place. I´m very happy with the result.

[​IMG]
    From another view

[​IMG]
    .. and another one

[​IMG]
    .. and another one. Don´t know if I´m going to keep that spiral cable though.

[​IMG]
    Last shot... Here you can see the new mesh aswell. Better alighment and it almost touches the board now. Also got rid of that P4 copper detail... Much better!

Laterzzz! :lol:

Last edited: 11 Dec 2012
  11. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Oh that 24-pin <3

12. crudbreeder

crudbreeder What's a Dremel?

I really like the sleeving on your projects, it really adds to the "vintage radio" look.

13. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

You Could make some led bezels with those copper pipe stubs... Might take a bit of work though... but wasting copper is sinfull so... Still looking good a always! :)

14. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

15. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Glad you like it! It´s just a detail, but I´m quite proud myself :D

Thank you. Guess it´s the color scheme. Can´t go wrong with brow/black sleeves

Yeah, I knew. But too much copper and I might lose the copper, if you know what I mean. Better to keep it sparse I think, makes the few copper ingredients pop out real good.

Thanks. I found one on ebay though, a perfect one. Black and with round cable, not flat.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2012
  16. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I love that walnut connector. So much sexy wood. I'm thinking more and more about a wooden case for my first project log =p

17. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks man. Yeah, wood is really something. Really looking forward to your log!

Small update:

[​IMG]
    Glued the footstand into the case today

[​IMG]
    The feet are not mounted into the stand yet, as you may notice the small gap to the left

[​IMG]
    Another angle

[​IMG]
    Then I started on the rad. This is my way of mounting it... Spacers painted copper

[​IMG]
    And these are painted pegs. I found some perfect metal fittings for themounting aswell. Painted them black.

Below are some grainy photos of the rad when mounted. I like it very much...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

man that 24pin block is sooooo damn sexy!

19. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Wow! o_O

Brilliant idea with rad mounting.

20. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks editor!

Thank you pranja, the solution turned out quite good yes. Difficult to mount a radiator without having pegs from outside