1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress The Theory of Everything. Dec. 21st. End of the world? Have some final pics. :-)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angel OD, 29 Oct 2011.

1. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I would tell you... But I have no idea what you are talking about! :) dP?

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Agreed master of waterblocks & guru of custom water cooling :clap:, looks nice :).

3. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Thanks! :) I shall then refer to you as the wizard of copper! :naughty:

4. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

delta Pressure. Pressure drop. Just change the velocity variable in SW there on your screen to pressure and note the pressure on the inlet and outlet.

I'd give you +rep for using SW Simulation but it won't let me :lol:.

5. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Heh... I never tried it, but I'll see what I can do tomorrow at work! :)

Ah well, it's the thought that counts! :thumb:

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

While the pathing looks fine, it looks like it's low on surface area to perform really well. Shot blasting it would be an option, but how deep are those base grooves?

7. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I would think that shot blasting it enough to create more surface area would break the thing... The grooves are 5mm deep. I was thinking of going deeper, but using a 2mm mill bit that long is not really a great idea imho. But as usual I guess we'll see how it works. As I mentioned, it's only for an E8500 with no oc. :)

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

5mm ought to do it, it looked more like 2 or so in one of the pics. Could be that nonfunctional eye of mine.

9. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Go for a sandblast rather than a 'shot blast' (peening?). It will increase the surface area but it won't take much off. Glass beads at a psi of about 40 would give you the finish I have on my case. Psi of 70 would dig in a little deeper.

If you have any Simulation questions, let me know...I pretty much do it every day.

10. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Dude that's very cool!

11. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

OK. Call me a nerd, but I drew this up quick tonight (pardon my lack of accuracy, you didn't give me much to go off of with your pictures) and ran a few things. I'm getting roughly the same magnitude as you are on the velocity scale (is your inlet condition ~0.5 GPH? Seems low).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's what your pressure drop is going to look like:

[​IMG]

Seems fairly high. This flow is about 0.5 GPM, and bigger pumps run about 2-5 GPM. The pressure drop for this low flow is about 3-5 ft H2O, which is almost half of what said pump can put out.

I can run a heat transfer analysis at work tomorrow (my laptop cannot handle it) if you're interested in the actual performance.

Still, nice design :naughty:. Just worried that the pressure drop will be too high.

Kiliv, Technobod, ASPHIAX and 3 others like this.
  12. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Ok, that's pretty hard core assisting done by Achron there.... :eeek: +rep!

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: That is crazy & awesome how you can find out how it will perform before it's even made, amazing stuff :D:rock:.

14. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Achron: Well, since I know what this programme can do, and I've seen the effects of simulaitons in real life, I'm not going to argue with your results at all! :)

As you say, you didn't have much to work with on the meassurements, but I'll assume we are pretty close to reality.

Since I already made it, I'm going to see how it works IRL.

And I'm also going to get more into flowsimulation in SW, for future reference.

But pretty cool you took the time to test it out! :)

And although I'm probably going to hate myself for it, I'd love to see how it performs on heat transfer! :)

Yup, repped from me as well! :thumb:

Yeah, it's pretty cool! In small scale stuff like this, it's not really that important. But on a bigger scale, simulations in generel are life saving in you r everyday life! :)

15. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Hi there Angel.

Thanks for your answers there to my concerns, but that wasn't needed in that much detail at all :jawdrop:

I was experimenting with blocks long ago, and I've found that staright forward and easy blocks with high flowrates do the trick quiet nicely in general. Add 3/8" fittings and 19/13mm tubings aswell as single-channel radiators (airplex-models for example) and you have less pressure-drop too.
    A Laing DDC-1T has 500l/h and you don't want to restrict that too much afterall ;)

16. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Well, I wasn't gonna supply you with all that detail, if Achron hadn't stuck his nose in! :lol:

I completely agree! Straight forward IS the easy and smart way to go. And on that note, it seems like on this build I've become what I always hated... A person who puts form over function! :)

But I'll let myself slide on this one, and I hope you guys do to! :)

17. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

where do you guys get this skill???
    thats simply amazing!

18. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Oh, I never meant to suggest that you should remake it, I was just giving you a heads up. SW is nice to check your designs with to make sure they are realistic.

I love the waterblock design :rock:.

19. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

You either have it, or you don't... :lol:

Nah, I guess it's like everything else! Learning and experience! And having access to a $10k+ piece of software also helps! :lol:

No worries, I didn't take it as critisism in any way! :thumb:

And I'm glad for the heads up! Gonna be hunting for a bigger pump than I was aiming for at the beginning! :thumb:
    But watch it, if I get tired of using the tutorials in SW before I am able to run those simulations myself, your inbox might overflow with designs! :lol:'

Ohh, and thanks a lot for the kind words on the design! :)

20. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Sooo... I had a couple of hours of spare time today which led to the making of the NB block.

I forgot to send the design of the passive SB block to work, so I'll get that done another day! :)

But, on with the photo's! :)

That second you have the first glanse through the cooling fluid:

[​IMG]

A second of Compressed air later:

[​IMG]

As usual I need to take a small needle file and take the edges off.

The top part of the block:

Oh nooooo, it's mirrored! :lol:

[​IMG]

Well, looking kinda like I hoped! :)

[​IMG]

Top and bottom:

[​IMG]

O-ring added, and assembled:

[​IMG]

The clever reader may have noticed the lack of threaded holes for fittings! I'm still not sure what way to go with the fittings for now, but I'm thinking hard about it! :)

One more:

[​IMG]

And the last one. I love how the light breaks and creates the optical illusion:

[​IMG]

That's it for now. I'll see how far I get this week. I should get started on the reservoir soon, and if I'm lucky it might actually work the way I'm thinking of! :)

Oh... For those of you who are familiar with my work, the last 3 pics shows a HUGE difference from my other builds. Can YOU spot it? :naughty: