1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Thanks!

It's a neat visualisation, so I was curious to see if it was something you'd cooked up yourself.

A couple of times I've experiemented with exporting my data from Apple Health to create my own data visualisations. I still get tempted now and then to whip up something in Python that spits out charts using something like matplotlib, but getting Apple Health data off the phone is a complete PITA. Unless I want to build an iOS app that implements HealthKit, I have to manually export the data to a file.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Had a health check recently.

Turns out my BMI suggests I'm overweight.

To be fair I could lose a couple of kilos but to get to a 'normal' range I'd look odd. I think about 10kg or so, not entirely sure where from. Chop a foot off maybe?

Anyway, turns out I have an 8.21% of a stroke or heart attack I'm the next 10 years which, I think (?), is good.

Cholesterol could be a bit lower, total is 5.1, the good stuff 1.4 and the bad 3.4 (had to look all that up as I have no clue tbh).

Diabetes risk is ok although I shouldn't take up a new hobby of necking fizzy drinks everyday.

So yeah, need to do a bit of exercise I guess but nothing too worrying as far as I can tell.

Mainly waffling here just in case I'm missing something obvious that somebody tells me I should be worrying about :happy:

3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

BMI is famously terrible. If you look at muscular athletes or professional sportsmen and women on their BMI alone, they’re mostly obese or morbidly obese apparently! These people have minimal body fat and are machines.

Completely ignore BMI as a useful metric unless you’re average height, weight and muscle mass (i.e none!)… it’s absolute bow locks.

adidan likes this.
  4. adidan

Aye I've never really paid attention to BMI as, like you say, nearly all athletes are dangerously obese on that scale.

Not that I'm an athlete lol.

I could drop a couple of kilos and tone up more but Christmas happened and those pigs in blankets don't eat themselves.

I ain't no athlete but the BMI is whack. If I lost ten kilos to get me in the 'normal' range I'd snap in the wind. That ain't happening.

Sure there could be a bit more muscle but then that would make me weigh more so I'm not entirely sure why the BMI is even a thing tbh.

Was just odd to see, I never really weigh myself and go mainly by whether I look chunky or not :happy:

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

We stopped using it in the military as people who got down to BMI ideals were thin, weak and tired all the time.

Body composition metrics are the way forward.

6. adidan

Doesn't surprise me, I feel like if I got down to that bracket I'd barely be able to lift my feet to walk.

I'm glad the military at least sensible.

To be fair I guess they now say a BMI may 'suggest' being overweight but, still, it's a bit wooly and vague.

I may look into the body metrics at some point if my mirror chunk measurements start to fail :happy:

7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you’re happy with your size and have energy to do ‘life’, you’re already winning.

adidan likes this.
  8. adidan

Couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately there are a few things that prevent me being active as I would like but all things considered I'm 'ok' in many regards it seems.

I'm very much a glass half full and all that :happy:

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

End-of-January check-in!

upload_2024-2-1_10-43-14.png

Weight ain't going down as quickly as it was, and I'm not sure what's going on there with the dip on the 28th, but it is still going down: I'm now at 88.7kg, from ~98kg.

upload_2024-2-1_10-44-19.png

Blood pressure's still a problem, and I'm still waiting on the telephone appointment for the prescription. I ran out of the Horbaach Blood Pressure Support pills (potassium and calcium and B-something and some other stuff) and didn't bother getting any more, and it seems to have made zero difference. I'm still taking the beetroot pills of a morning, but I'll knock them on the head when they run out too.

Goatee and Sentinel-R1 like this.
  10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

if you're struggling to get down to where you need to be, have you looked into ketosis? A few of my pals swear by it. Apparently it's a little rough for the first week, as your body adjusts but the results are very good. Not sure if there'd be any interactions with your BP though, so worth doing a bit of reading if you wanted to give it a go.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I know it can work, but it's not sustainable - I'm happy just eating normal stuff normally but... less, otherwise I'll reach my goal weight and then immediately go back to stuffin' my face like a big fat porker.

Mmm... pork.

The trend's in the right direction, so I'mma just keep doing what I'm doing!

upload_2024-2-1_14-27-52.png

12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

It is a Herculean effort, I have to say. BZ.

13. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Having to lose weight for surgery is a strong motivator. Was told I'll have to shed eight kilos (because well BMI over 30 is bad okay), took my weight on Tuesday after getting vampire'd and antiboyotic jabbed: I've shed half of that eight kilos

Also that weighing revealed my ten quid scale reads low grr. Compensated that on my crazy spreadsheet, my actual starting weight was 145 kilos... I was biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig :hehe:

Last edited: 2 Feb 2024
    Byron C and LennyRhys like this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I had to read that twice… :hehe: I’ve been visiting a hospital twice a day for the last week, I’m quite tired, and I’ve had a few beers…

Thank you for the sensible chuckle :grin:

15. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Anticistamines :lol:

Byron C likes this.
  16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

If I can read, you've lost 4kg in a month which seems plenty quick to me. As they say, it's a marathon not a sprint, and all that.

Mmm, Marathon.
    [​IMG]

17. Gareth Halfacree

Full disclosure: I had a day off the diet yesterday. And it was glorious. Absolutely stuffed myself - chocolates, a cookie, crisps, fizzy pop, fish 'n' chip lunch, even had my first slice of bread in, like, two months.

No ragerts.

18. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I think of those days as not so much of a "cheat day" but more of a sanity check day. I am currently trying again on the whole diet thing as I am desperately trying to avoid having to go onto insulin and this is pretty much my last chance, and the almost complete reduction in anything sweet drives me up the walls after a while so a sanity check day is often much needed.

LennyRhys and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

This is why dieting to lose weight quickly, frequently doesn't work. Much better in the long term, to lose weight by cutting down just enough to lose weight slowly. Much more sustainable. My information comes from my wife and, her NHS dietician and nutritionist training.

LennyRhys and SuperHans123 like this.
  20. Gareth Halfacree

I'm on a little shy of 1,900 calories a day, which should be sustainable. I hope!

SuperHans123 and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.